Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Kicker System -- Installation from Circuit City

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-06 | 07:35 AM
sk72
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BigManne
yopu just nee to mess with the freq. of the crossover. so you kcan find that sweet spot. im a fan of around 100hz
Does this mean you have install a active crossover? and wire it to the sub .. or get a amp with a passive crossover and which has a crossover adjustment?? my amp only has GAIN and BASS BOOST.. Please advice...
Old 06-07-06 | 07:52 AM
handzilla
Pit Crew

I went ahead and set mine to 100hz. I'll let you know if the mids are hitting right, BigManne. Sk, your amp has a built in low pass crossover of 80Hz Low Pass, 24dB/octave. So maybe you need an active. Hope that helps. ?!?
Old 06-07-06 | 08:09 AM
sk72
Pole Position

Originally Posted by handzilla
I went ahead and set mine to 100hz. I'll let you know if the mids are hitting right, BigManne. Sk, your amp has a built in low pass crossover of 80Hz Low Pass, 24dB/octave. So maybe you need an active. Hope that helps. ?!?

Based on the tech specs.. mine is fixed at 80Hz .. 400.1 has the flex Hz adjustment.. hmm so can I just purchase a active Crossover and have it tuned to 20Hz (the extra)?? which crossover would be good.. well i like the way it sounds but I don't mind making it better if I could do it.. hearing a Mid-Bass would be great as well.. any suggestions on Crossover and how to rewire em??

UPDATE..

Hmm Maybe I don't have to buy a crossover cause the signal to amp is sourced from the existing prewired stock sub which is hooked up to the stock amp which may already been crossedover... let me know if I am right on this.. and it is getting even a lower pass when it goes through the Kicker Amp?? does this sound right??

Thanks...

Last edited by sk72; 06-07-06 at 08:13 AM.
Old 06-07-06 | 10:35 AM
handzilla
Pit Crew

Well I just returned from Circuit City and the guy in the roadshop told me that the factory amp was wired to send mid-bass, and low-bass through the factory sub. Since we kept out factory stereos this explains why we have a loss in mid-bass. He was like "yeah I forgot to mention that you will lose some of your mid-bass." Suuuuuuure 2 weeks later after the install.

Also I changed the postion the sub so that it is facing up through the hole in the trunk. So far I notice a little more mid, but I don't think the wave has enough time to develop, making the deep bass cancel out some.
Old 06-07-06 | 11:35 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

I used to be in the top 10% of installers nationwide (presidents list roadshop news magazine) for Circuit City before I went independent and opened my own store. We had a guy "jonny" that was fired for putting his elbow through the windshield of an LS400, problem was he also scratched 4 interior panels in that car alone, and had 3 returns from the day previous.

Three of the 7 guys in the shop were ready to step up to 1st class MECP installer. 3 of them were new, but took the training well and were careful and on their way...... then there was Jonny......

He lost that customer, and everyone they told about him.... problem is that the word was already out... the shop sucked. The next day Jonny was fired and the 6 of use went complaint free for 6 months........ but everyone had heard about jonny's installs and we were boned from that area of customers knowing the original party.

Most installers are pretty good, even if not trained to MECP standards. They SAY they are all MECP certified in the CC road shops now, but an installer can fail the test multiple times and go for months before they start to talk to him about possible termination.

Just depends on who you get I closed my last car audio store back in 2002, but I promise my Masters certificate having self can get off this couch and whip out 5 installs after not doing it for all these years before the new kid even gets the dash out of the first one ..... and do it better.
Old 06-08-06 | 12:39 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
...but I promise my Masters certificate having self can get off this couch and whip out 5 installs after not doing it for all these years before the new kid even gets the dash out of the first one ..... and do it better.
haha! that's awesome!!
Old 06-08-06 | 04:46 AM
handzilla
Pit Crew

So much for the sub facing up through the hole in the rear deck. That completely sucked. Now I have the sub facing the rear yet it is still directly under the hole. Much better than before. Still fiddling with the eq to bring out some more mids.
Old 06-08-06 | 09:59 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Subs are lungs. They have to breathe. If you are having difficulty making notes, you need to increase your air exchange to the trunk. A custom port in the back deck might be needed. Any vehicle with leather seats is going to hinder performance since the subs can't breathe through the seats like in most cars. Most of our Lexi have all steel backplates on the back seat area so it wouldn't matter. Custom trunk port is all that will help overall. No air exchange = no breathing for the subs.
Old 06-10-06 | 08:16 AM
handzilla
Pit Crew

Just obtained some more info on getting the mid-bass back in there. My pal was telling me that I need an FM Modulator to change the facory deck pre-amp settings. Anyone?
Old 06-12-06 | 09:43 AM
handzilla
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by handzilla
Just obtained some more info on getting the mid-bass back in there. My pal was telling me that I need an FM Modulator to change the facory deck pre-amp settings. Anyone?
Bump for this question.
Old 06-12-06 | 11:04 AM
BigManne
Lexus Test Driver

i dont see how a fm modulator would help you with that. all it does is broadcast a fm signal like a radio station. usually used for mobile video , xm and sirius radios
Old 06-12-06 | 11:15 AM
handzilla
Pit Crew

My friend said you can turn the pre-amp freq switch off or something.
Old 07-10-06 | 06:43 AM
handzilla
Pit Crew

One month later...

I blew my sub and got it replaced. Good thing I had the purchased the replacement plan. Still kinda pissed that I am missing some mid bass, and about the guy saying he forgetting to warn me about this prior to the install.

So hear is my solution:

I'm going to put the factory sub back in in addition to the Kicker. Hopefully that will take care of the issue since that is where most of the mid bass was coming from in the first place.

So I'll have my Kicker 12" hitting the deep bass, my factory 10" hitting the mid bass, and the door speakers hitting everything else.

Has anyone ever tried this set up?