Sponsored by:

Pioneer Stereo Wiring to aftermarket stereo

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-06, 10:49 PM
AZ-GS300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pioneer Stereo Wiring to aftermarket stereo '98 GS300

I've searched and searched. I've found BananaGS's installation instructions. I've found about 5 or 6 different unanswered threads asking about stock wiring information. And I've come to this conclusion. There are a lot of confused people on this subject. Depending on which thread I read, I need the 70-1761, 80-1761, 70-8112, or 70-8113 Metra wiring harness or some combination of them. But from reading BananaGS's site, I'm even more confused. Might be because I have a GS300 and he has a GS400 or there is some year difference?

So I have a new stereo and I will be bypassing/removing the factory stereo, cd changer, and amplifier in my 98 GS300 with the Pioneer system. I already have the head unit out, but haven't started removing the rest of the system until I have the correct harness(es). I will be running the corner speakers off the head unit and removing the old sub in the trunk and adding a seperate sub and amp in it's place. I'm guessing I need to run wires from my new head unit to the connectors where the factory amp is located and then attach a wiring harness there, correct?

Simple questions:
What Metra wiring harness do I need to bypass the factory amplifier?
Are the colors of the wiring from BananaGS's site accurate for the 98 GS300, or are there any discrepencies?
If I wanted to keep the stock sub while I build my own box for my own subs, what is its max power handling?

Last edited by AZ-GS300; 06-03-06 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Adding car info to title.
Old 06-01-06, 10:57 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you going to run the speakers off the headunit or are you gonna get a amplifier to power them?
Old 06-01-06, 11:00 PM
AZ-GS300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rgarjr
Are you going to run the speakers off the headunit or are you gonna get a amplifier to power them?
Originally Posted by AZ-GS300
I've searched and searched. I've found BananaGS's installation instructions. I've found about 5 or 6 different unanswered threads asking about stock wiring information. And I've come to this conclusion. There are a lot of confused people on this subject. Depending on which thread I read, I need the 70-1761, 80-1761, 70-8112, or 70-8113 Metra wiring harness or some combination of them. But from reading BananaGS's site, I'm even more confused. Might be because I have a GS300 and he has a GS400 or there is some year difference?

So I have a new stereo and I will be bypassing/removing the factory stereo, cd changer, and amplifier in my 98 GS300 with the Pioneer system. I already have the head unit out, but haven't started removing the rest of the system until I have the correct harness(es). I will be running the corner speakers off the head unit and removing the old sub in the trunk and adding a seperate sub and amp in it's place. I'm guessing I need to run wires from my new head unit to the connectors where the factory amp is located and then attach a wiring harness there, correct?

Simple questions:
Are the colors of the wiring from BananaGS's site accurate for the 98 GS300, or are there any discrepencies?
If I wanted to keep the stock sub while I build my own box for my own subs, what is its max power handling?
Old 06-01-06, 11:36 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Skip the harness and just tap into the stock power and ground wires by soldering. If you are running the mids and highs off of amps, you should run larger wires to the doors anyway. If you need any more help, I have done this myself and helped many others.
Old 06-02-06, 12:09 AM
AZ-GS300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexbox
Skip the harness and just tap into the stock power and ground wires by soldering.
I'll be soldering the new stereo's wiring harness to the Metra harness and using heat shrink tubing. I hate crimp connectors of any kind. Seen way too many of them vibrate off in other cars.
If you are running the mids and highs off of amps, you should run larger wires to the doors anyway.
I like to install stereos by using as much of the original wiring as possible. I hate having to run wires into doors anyway. The stock wiring (unless it's 22 gauge or something) is probably more than adequate for the built in amplifier of the head unit.
If you need any more help, I have done this myself and helped many others.
The help I was looking for was the answers to the three questions I asked at the bottom of my original post.
Simple questions:
In reference to BananaGS's instructions, I was refering to this diagram:
Old 06-02-06, 01:05 AM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

The help I was looking for was the answers to the three questions I asked at the bottom of my original post.
Settle down Beavis.

1. Not sure
2. Not sure because I used the Non-Nakamichi PDF file running around. I have it if you need it.
3. Depends on if your system is setup properly. I run 150w RMS to mine and it is still kicking.

Last edited by Lexbox; 06-02-06 at 01:11 AM.
Old 06-02-06, 03:27 AM
AZ-GS300
Lead Lap

Settle down Beavis.

1. Not sure
2. Not sure because I used the Non-Nakamichi PDF file running around. I have it if you need it.
3. Depends on if your system is setup properly. I run 150w RMS to mine and it is still kicking.
Huh Huh, Huh Huh!

Okay, that kind of helps. Yes. I'd like to see the Non-Nakamichi PDF that's floating around. Afterall, I have the Pioneer (which I believe is not a Nakamichi ) And if you are running 150rms to the stock sub, then I guess it's rated a bit more than that. I was only planning on running a 100rms amp to it while I built my box, so that helps.

Thank you.
Old 06-02-06, 04:41 AM
roostinds
Driver School Candidate

Settle down Beavis.

1. Not sure
could I get a copy of this pdf as well. Thanks
Old 06-02-06, 06:27 AM
cartechpr
Driver

Ah the mighty pdf i provided.. i can provide both if needed... they are from mitchell on demand diagrams.
Old 06-02-06, 09:20 AM
roostinds
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cartechpr
Ah the mighty pdf i provided.. i can provide both if needed... they are from mitchell on demand diagrams.
hook me up
Old 06-02-06, 09:23 AM
AZ-GS300
Lead Lap

e-mail address:
az.zbum@gmail.com
thank you
Old 06-02-06, 09:59 AM
magnetik
Pole Position

I don't know if this helps but I am in the same predicament... I found these pics online. Sorry for the slowness... they are hosted on my home pc.

Old 06-02-06, 11:05 AM
AZ-GS300
Lead Lap

Thanks, but neither of those appear to be for my Pioneer model. Maybe they are for the Nakamichi? Or for the Nav system?
Old 06-02-06, 08:15 PM
AZ-GS300
Lead Lap

Anyone?
Anyone?
Buehler?
Fry?
Old 06-02-06, 09:07 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cartechpr
Cartechpr...did you get these guys the diagrams? If not you guys can email me at thelexbox@gmail.com

Quick Reply: Pioneer Stereo Wiring to aftermarket stereo