Old 06-12-06, 12:04 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts
Default Do you have a satellite radio?

Assuming you have a satellite radio,

1. What kind do you have? XM or Sirius?

2. How much did you pay for your unit.

3. What are the pros as far as you are concerned?

4. What are the cons as far as you are concerned?

5. How is it connected to your car's sound system? Direct wired or ortherwise.

6. How would you rate your overall satisfaction with it on a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being the lowest)

7. Do you regret getting a satellite radio and are thinking of cancelling your subscription because you don't think it is worth it?
Old 06-12-06, 02:05 PM
psp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Sirius in an 07 ES350 w/ML
2. Dealer installed, about $600.00
3. Lots of choices, near CD quality sound, Ginger and Christy!!!
4. Too many signal dropouts under overpasses. Factory installed units lack some of the niceties like full display, song memory (lets you know when a particular song is playing on another station) and direct numeric access.
5. Direct, and controlled by the Nav system screen.
6. 10 (I would actually say 11!). Indispensable.
7. Maybe for a minute on the first day I got it with my Maxima. I liked it so much I got it for my wife’s Quest (factory install) too. When I got the Lexus it was going to be a deal breaker if I couldn't get it.
Old 06-12-06, 06:51 PM
lexoman562
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Hameed

6. How would you rate your overall satisfaction with it on a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being the lowest)

7. Do you regret getting a satellite radio and are thinking of cancelling your subscription because you don't think it is worth it?

1. xm
2. i have the avic d1 , which is xm ready so i bought the part to to enable the xm , part # gex-p10xmt , paid 50 , brand new 100-120.
3.sound quality is great , sound just like a cd , many channels to listen to , no commercials , just non- stop music pretty much .
4. alot of drop signals...overpass , parking structures ...
5. mine is direct plug to my pioneer avic d1.
6. 9
7.nope i wouldn t cancel has alot of cool stuff , weather , traffic , news.
Old 06-13-06, 06:03 AM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hameed, you have the bug baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad! lol

1. Sirius
2.0 (perks of being a dealer )
3. Howard Stern, always music of every genre available, sports games not on am radio
4. Breaking up of signal, they must figure a way to have enough repeaters so it doesn't cut out as much.
5. My system is wired in through the JL Audio cleansweep so no fm modulation to my factory headunit.
6. Love it, can't drive without it. 10/10
7. Will never drive a vehicle without sat. radio.

Hameed XM makes an interface that plugs into your d1, it will give you xm radio and live traffic updates! Im me for details.
Old 06-13-06, 06:36 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexoman562
1. xm
2. i have the avic d1 , which is xm ready so i bought the part to to enable the xm , part # gex-p10xmt , paid 50 , brand new 100-120.
3.sound quality is great , sound just like a cd , many channels to listen to , no commercials , just non- stop music pretty much .
4. alot of drop signals...overpass , parking structures ...
5. mine is direct plug to my pioneer avic d1.
6. 9
7.nope i wouldn t cancel has alot of cool stuff , weather , traffic , news.
sounds like mine!

Channel 202 from 6-11. O&A party rock! Help spread the virus!

CV
Old 06-13-06, 08:55 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

1. XM
2. Just under $300 shipped
3. No commercials, very good sound quality, any type of music/genre at your fingertips
4. 1 or 2 dropouts during commute
5. Directly to ML
6. 8 (-1 sound quality is very good but not CD quality yet and -1 for dropouts)
7. Not for one second.
Old 06-14-06, 06:53 PM
johnp66
Rookie

XM Pioneer GEX-920
$99
Great sound quality for satellite. Tons of channels for every taste. Traffic navigation is great in the major markets.
Too much chatter and promotion -- as bad as any commercial station. And it needs local weather and traffic in more markets.5. How is it connected to your car's sound system? Direct wired or ortherwise.
Bus connector.
I'd give it a nine, 10 if the DJs would shut the hell up.7. Do you regret getting a satellite radio and are thinking of cancelling your subscription because you don't think it is worth it?
I've got it in my car, wife's car and my motorcycle. Guess I'm hooked.
Old 06-14-06, 10:30 PM
Hitsme
Driver School Candidate

1. Sirius
2. $0, nada, nothing, zip - Free from Longo Lexus including 9 months of service.
3. Great sound quality. Lots of variety. Always something on that I want to listen to.
4. The 10 character display is really annoying, but this is Lexus specific, not a Sirius (pun intended) problem.
5. Direct connect to nav system.
6. A complete 10. I had a portable unit in my (pardon the expression) BMW before getting the Lexus, and if Sirius wasn't available I'd be driving something else.
7. See 6
Old 06-15-06, 12:27 AM
adamsear
Driver School Candidate

Default Free Satellite?

Hitsme,

How did you get the free satellite radio + 9 months service? I live in the LA area and will be purchasingan IS250 in the next month or so. I didn't see anything listed on the Longo website. . .any suggestions for me getting the same deal?

Thanks!
Old 06-15-06, 07:50 AM
richbutler
Rookie

Default Free Subscription and Poor Sound Quality

I bought my ES350 from Lexus of Stevens Creek ( part of Penske which also owns Longo Lexus). I also got the free Sirius with the free 9 month subscription. It seems all their cars come standard with the free Sirius package.

I like the way it integrates with the Nav screen. However, the sound quality on my ML is poor. In my opinion, the sound quality is worse than FM radio. The sound through my ML is very flat (mono sounding....like AM radio) and lacks dynamic range and depth.

I won't be subscribing when the free 9 months expires.
Old 06-15-06, 08:15 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Right now I don't see this as a worthwhile mod.

However as soon as either Sirius or XM offer traffic updates in Canada, then it will be worth it!

My nav (AVIC-D1) has the capability to download such traffic updates and dynamically reroute your destination depending on traffic. It would be amazing to use if XM or Sirius offered this service in the GTA. (Greater Toronto Area).
Old 06-15-06, 08:26 AM
Hitsme
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by adamsear
Hitsme,

How did you get the free satellite radio + 9 months service? I live in the LA area and will be purchasingan IS250 in the next month or so. I didn't see anything listed on the Longo website. . .any suggestions for me getting the same deal?

Thanks!
I don't know about the IS250 at Longo, but every ES, GS and LS in their gigantic inventory already has the Sirius installed with a dealer add-on window sticker that says:

Sirius Satelite Radio....................$495.00
9 Month Sirius Subscription..............Free
Longo Discount...........................-$495.00

Your cost............................................$0.00

I didn't know about it beforehand, but it sure was a pleasant surprise.

From what I now read, it is some form of Pensky/Sirius relationship. Sirius is betting on a huge percentage of buyers going ahead with the paid subscription after the trial period, and Pensky adds their unit and installation cost as a factor in the bottom line of the deal.
Old 06-15-06, 08:48 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1. XM
2. Approx $1,200
3. Clear channels however it still isn't as clear as playing a CD in your car. Another pro is that with XM radio, you can login onlnie and listen to music at your computer which is what I do. http://listen.xmradio.com
4. XM stations are advertising their own station a lot. Drives me bonkers because I already know what station I'm on yet they keep mentioning it.
5. Direct wired
6. 9
7. I don't regret it because it introduces me to new music. After graduating from college, I felt disconnected from all the latest music and I HATE listening to the radio due to low sound quality. I'd rather listen to CLEAR talk radio than static laden music that I actually like.
Old 06-15-06, 08:50 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Right now I don't see this as a worthwhile mod.

However as soon as either Sirius or XM offer traffic updates in Canada, then it will be worth it!

My nav (AVIC-D1) has the capability to download such traffic updates and dynamically reroute your destination depending on traffic. It would be amazing to use if XM or Sirius offered this service in the GTA. (Greater Toronto Area).
Interestingly enough, I just read a recent article about NavTraffic. It's a great concept but will only work until market saturation is reached.

Think about it, If a majority of users out there are using NavTraffic and rerouting their drive accordingly - you're ALL going to head to the same place!

Old 06-15-06, 09:05 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by cliffud
Think about it, If a majority of users out there are using NavTraffic and rerouting their drive accordingly - you're ALL going to head to the same place!

Even if that ever happens, then continuous updates from the NavTraffic system will continue to update your navi and you will get rerouted again.