20.74%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

It Has To Be The Best!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-06, 02:28 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that sucks about the ripping...good for pioneer to keep them safe though.
Old 07-05-06, 11:18 AM
dainfamusg
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
GSspeed, just like you, I did not have any experience with Navigation systems before I got my AVIC-D1.

After having lived with the D1 now for roughly two weeks - I find it extremely effective and useful for what I need it for - basic navigation, decent Head Unit.

You can also buy it for less than half the cost of the Z1 or the 6600 on ebay brand new as it is last years model. The fact that it is last years model is not that big a deal as Pioneer has released a DVD update disc that updates the firmware and basically upgrades it to the latest model AVIC-D2 and ofcourse the latest maps.

What do you lose to the Z1 and 6600?

1. Voice recognition - I have read reviews on the Z1 (could not find any objective review the 6600) about this feature and it is not that great

2. Hard Drive - this is mainly for the storage of MP3's. Yes this is a convenience, but for half the price of the Z1 (if you buy the D1), is it really worth it? Not to me it isn't.

3. Navigation accuracy? I don't buy the argument that the HD based navigation is more accurate than the dvd version. It just does not make any sense why that would be the case.

Conclusion:
Get the D1 for less than $900.00, and forgo the nifty voice recognition and hard drive upgrades that the Z1 offers.

To be honest I think this is very good advice and probably what i'll do. How much is the update disk ? Because on ebay the D2 can be had for the same $950 + Shipping. I would like to go through the install myself but I just dont have the time, so i'll prob be paying $200 for install at the company that works on my car. I really don't think $1150 is bad at all. I also have the ES300 that has that huge a$$ stick systems with the big ***** so I'll prob get the trim from the lexus company for the (possible??) factory navi system and then just pop in the d2 in the space. Does this sound feasible?

EDIT: Can i get the bypass for the D2 so that I can play while driving done at the shop? Does it even work on the D2? SOrry for all the questions just like many others here I'm a n00b at this, so thanks for the help

EDIT2: Just realized the D2 doesnt play dvd's

Last edited by dainfamusg; 07-05-06 at 11:26 AM.
Old 07-11-06, 07:08 AM
Don369
Driver School Candidate

30 gig hard drive has capability to hold approximately 400 cd's plus navagation information. No need to load nav dvd while driving. no need really to have a cd changer, you have a music library!
So a hard-drive is ok.
Old 07-11-06, 10:07 AM
High PSI
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Don369
30 gig hard drive has capability to hold approximately 400 cd's plus navagation information. No need to load nav dvd while driving. no need really to have a cd changer, you have a music library!
So a hard-drive is ok.
400CD's +Nav info IF it "rips" CD's into an MP3 format...have you confirmed that it does this?
Old 07-11-06, 10:20 AM
High PSI
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dainfamusg
To be honest I think this is very good advice and probably what i'll do. How much is the update disk ? Because on ebay the D2 can be had for the same $950 + Shipping. I would like to go through the install myself but I just dont have the time, so i'll prob be paying $200 for install at the company that works on my car. I really don't think $1150 is bad at all. I also have the ES300 that has that huge a$$ stick systems with the big ***** so I'll prob get the trim from the lexus company for the (possible??) factory navi system and then just pop in the d2 in the space. Does this sound feasible?

EDIT: Can i get the bypass for the D2 so that I can play while driving done at the shop? Does it even work on the D2? SOrry for all the questions just like many others here I'm a n00b at this, so thanks for the help

EDIT2: Just realized the D2 doesnt play dvd's
For what it's worth, I went through this entire debate myself and decided to get the D1 in the end. I just installed it last Saturday and have been using it for the past three days. I have to say, I absolutely LOVE this headunit. I do a lot of driving due to my job, and after just two days of work with this thing I don't know how I ever lived without it! Being able to focus on the road and just drive without having to worry about keeping an eye out for streets and directions is priceless. The POI feature, where you can search for resturants, gas-stations, shopping plaza's, etc. wherever you are is fantastic, and seems to be accurate even though I have yet to upgrade my system to a "D2".

Would I RATHER have a Z1? Of course...but do I think it's worth twice the price? Nope.

BTW, you're correct that the D1 doesn't play DVD's, but for me, this was a moot issue. The last thing I need while driving is a friggen movie playing next to me and my passengers watching it while I have to just listen to it. Regardless, you can pick up a seperate DVD player for $100 or so.....still FAR less than the price of a Z1 over a D1.
Old 07-12-06, 05:00 PM
dainfamusg
Rookie

Originally Posted by High PSI
For what it's worth, I went through this entire debate myself and decided to get the D1 in the end. I just installed it last Saturday and have been using it for the past three days. I have to say, I absolutely LOVE this headunit. I do a lot of driving due to my job, and after just two days of work with this thing I don't know how I ever lived without it! Being able to focus on the road and just drive without having to worry about keeping an eye out for streets and directions is priceless. The POI feature, where you can search for resturants, gas-stations, shopping plaza's, etc. wherever you are is fantastic, and seems to be accurate even though I have yet to upgrade my system to a "D2".

Would I RATHER have a Z1? Of course...but do I think it's worth twice the price? Nope.

BTW, you're correct that the D1 doesn't play DVD's, but for me, this was a moot issue. The last thing I need while driving is a friggen movie playing next to me and my passengers watching it while I have to just listen to it. Regardless, you can pick up a seperate DVD player for $100 or so.....still FAR less than the price of a Z1 over a D1.
I definitely agree with you on all your points, I had this debate with myself too until i saw the eclipse 6600 and just got that one instead since i plan to have headrest monitors in the back so the RSE works out well for me.Just got my eclipse today btw gonna get it installed tomorrow. Do i have to put the antenna outside? I wanna tell them mount it inside, is this possible?
Old 08-03-06, 05:31 PM
stevies30
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I decided to go with the Z1and I'm extremely happy with it. While it does have a 30 gig HD, 20 gig is devoted to navigation and 10 gig is devoted to CDs which the manual says is the equivalent of approx 200 CDs. It records CDs at 4X and it will download ripped CDs - it may not recognize song title and artist information but you can input that manually. Navigation is extremely accurate and I've found the voice recognition to be more useful than I originally thought. I installed it myself and although it is quite a job, at least I know it was done right. I also installed the bypass so I can play DVDs and change destinations while driving and it works flawlessly (thanks ducatiboy). While I was at it I put in all new speakers, wiring and 2 new amps. I also added a rearview camera and I'm very pleased with that too. It's a great unit and I love it!
Old 08-03-06, 05:49 PM
GSspeed
Lead Lap

Awsome Stevies30 , do you have any pics....
I am still waiting to get mine, i wanted to see some install pics, and the bezel surround, also the bypass from ducattiboy www.avic411.com,
how was the install, was all the wires understandable?
Old 08-03-06, 06:15 PM
stevies30
Driver

I haven't taken any pics because I haven't put the finishing touches on it yet. I put a double din dash kit in but it wasn't made for my model ES so I had to mofify it. I haven't put the bezel on it yet since I'm going to have to trim some off the bottom. I'm also working on something to cover the whole thing up so it won't be so tempting to steal. By all means get the bypass from ducatiboy (it's a piece of cake to install) and he will do whatever it takes to get it working right. The install went great, all the wires were well labeled (with permanent tags) and the installation manual was well written. There are just so many wires to run (especially if you're putting in a whole new system) that it just takes a while to do it. I'll try to take some pics for you tomorrow Allen.
Old 08-03-06, 11:30 PM
Diode
Driver School Candidate

Default Fyi

Traffic feature is overrated. There's too large of a delay between the traffic reported, and reality. Something like 15-30 mins. I can't wait till it's better though. Some day I hope.

HDD and DVD....thats just access time. So if you want to speed through your Points of interest a tad faster, then go for it. Some manufacturers of hdd systems make both, or switch between the two depending on features/space, compression etc. Other benefits have been posted before, such as loading the dvd on to the hd, then leaving the drive free. But these days, you can pre-load data fast enough that you won't notice a difference except for non-predictable searches. Map/nav is predictable. Advantage to DVD though, is it's simplicity/reliability, and ease of fix. Bad DVD? Toss it, get a new one.

If you want the best navigation system, you want the product that is created by a company called Denso. They make navigation systems for Toyota/Lexus...a lot of others too. But you know Toyota quality requirements.

If I remember correctly, Eclipse is actually using a denso system. Alpine uses someone else. Pioneer nav doesnt look that good to me.

As for navtech and teleatlas, they just make the map data that go in the systems.

As for what to chose, I don't know. It's hard to decide because there are other features not related to the nav system that may be important to some, such as the amp.

Somewhere online, mp3car maybe, I found like a site that listed who uses what nav systems. Eclipse uses so and so, Honda uses so and so...bmw by the way has the worst nav system ever.

Anyhow, just sharing info.

Old 08-07-06, 12:11 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Mcintosh.... specifically mine

You DID say it had to be the best
Old 08-30-06, 12:58 PM
Panerai127
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

went to a local shop today and was advised by an owner of the shop that all Pioner AVIC-Z1's after Sept. 30 will be not bypassable!!! They would inbed it in the chip.. Also he quoted me Z1 installed, in my GS for $2650!!! Includes Ipod adapter and steering controls connection, I have to bring the kit, they would have to make one, I would not like that, it would never match color wise.. And $2400 installed for 6600, because it does not have steering controls, 1 year warranty. I amean it is a good shop, they were features in Mobile Electronics Mag. But I think its too much. I have all my system already installed, just need HD and run RCA's to the back.. I asked him if I buy one on ebay for $1500, plus Ipod adapter for $50, he told me $300 to get everything istalled, 3-4 hours, and I have to pay upfront, because in case unit does not work, he still gets paid for work!! And he would not be ale to bypass it for me, because if the unit is broken or breaks while bypassing, he can't warranty it.. What you guys think, is the way to go to get Z1 installed, and also as I stated earlier, did anybody hear about bypass problem in few days?
Old 08-30-06, 04:09 PM
stevies30
Driver

I haven't heard anything about a "non-bypassable" Z1 being manufactured but rest assured, even if it is someone will come up with a way to get around it. As stated in an earlier post on this thread, I installed mine myself and it's a pretty straightforward install even with the bypass I put in. I was quoted $600 for installation by a local car audio shop so $300 may not be that bad. Even so, you can still install it yourself pretty easily and save $300.......
Old 09-03-06, 10:41 PM
Panerai127
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

after spending 3 hours on avic411.com came up with a conclusion that Z1 is nice but has a lot glitches which are important and what you pay more money for. Ipod features are horrible and everyone is very irrate how slow the browsing is, and that is one of the most importand things for me. Bypassing would be a lot harder then Eclipse and possibly impossible after Aug. as I stated above. The bluetooth is pretty bad and has echo problems. The voulme does not lower itself when navigation voice is on, same with the phone when the call is received or made. But you can get Z1 from authorized dealer like 6th ave electronics for $1500!!! Then the HDD is useless since you have to listen to songs to rip it and it rips only CD's and not MP3 and I think you can not play MP3's from a CD. So if I was gonna get this unit, I would just get a wire and use AUX port and not waste my money on Ipod adapter. I am leaning more towrds the Eclipse AVN6600, 5500, 5435 and use the AUX for Ipod and control my songs with Ipod. How is the speed and functionality of AVN6600? Why I like 6600, that you do not have to take out NAV DVD to play DVD's unlike other units, 5435 sounds like a good choice if you do not mind switching DVD's from NAV to movies and using a wire with AUX port for Ipod, correct me if I am wrong, but you cannot search POI's by category (Mexican or chinese restaurant) on all three Eclipse units unless you get 5495!! but Z1 I think you could. Also does anyone know where to get Eclipse units from authorized dealer cheaper then Circuit city?? I know they have them on ebay, but they are not from authorized dealer and thse things do go bad sometimes!!! Anyone has any thought on this?
Old 09-18-06, 05:21 AM
Loiosh
Driver School Candidate

Anyone mention the Alpine NVE-N872A? It's my favorite. Vic mentioned it on the LS400 forums. Apparently it is the same model Acura uses now and is quite nice.

Quick Reply: It Has To Be The Best!!!!!!!!!