Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Alpine amp overheating.....causing...???

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-06, 12:11 PM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alpine amp overheating.....causing...???

Hey all, after my recent install, i'm already having issues

Few days ago, i began to hear very fast crackling noises coming from my rears. This only occurs sometimes, not always usually at higher volumes. Its a rapid crackling noise so it doesnt sound like they are blown. Another thing i noticed is my amp is running VERY VERY hot, almost too hot to the touch of my hands. Is this normal in any kind of senseE??

Also, the rear speakers are taking up alot of power, more than the components, just the rear speakers are making my D button on the dash dim.

Front components, 85rms at 2 ohms, rear coax, 55rms at 2 ohms. The amp, 4 channel, 100x4 at 2 ohms.

Only ideas that i have about this situation are: Amp is running too hot, I need a power cap (Which is coming soon i hope) , speakers are blown and need replacement.

Somebody please help me, throw some advice out there, any past experiences, ANY advice would be much appreciated!!

Max
Old 06-14-06, 12:54 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

maybe it's the thickness of wire coming from your sub amp to your sub?? maybe not thick enough?
Old 06-14-06, 02:17 PM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cliffud
maybe it's the thickness of wire coming from your sub amp to your sub?? maybe not thick enough?
4 GUAGE is the main power wire going into a distribution block which is ok. It comes out 8 guage to the speaker amp, and 8 gauge to the sub amp. I know i need 4 guage for the subwoofer amp, but i don't think it has anythin to do with the alpine speaker amp overheating
Old 06-14-06, 02:23 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i had similar issues when i spliced speaker wires to go into my amp in my last car. turns out that when i spliced it into the amp, i took too many threads of copper off and thus made a bottleneck of power.

it would sound fine at low volumes but when i cranked it up more, the speakers would cut out.

keep in mind that you're running your amp at 2ohms... amps get hot under those conditions.
Old 06-15-06, 09:56 PM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

Only thing that i can still ithink of is this:

1. I spliced the remote wire from the sub amp into the Alpine amp???

2. Amp is malfunctioning and over heating

3. Speakers are blown

4. The speakers/amp could be wired wrong....could this be possible guys!??

Some please!!! I NEED To resolve this issue!! ANY input would be helpful
Old 06-15-06, 10:30 PM
vin 78
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Locate the speaker that's making the noises and while it playing, gently push in the cone about 1/16", if the noise comes back (while pushing in the cone) the voice coil is damaged, and your amp is sensing damaged voice coil.

Also, make sure the speaker wires are not grounding out.

If all else fails, disconnect the rear speakers for a while and check if the amps still gets overheated.

Finally, MAKE SURE ALL YOUR WIRES ARE SECURE.

When I used to install, I've seen many amps (phoenix gold, diamond audio, usamps, etc.) that goes into protection mode when the speaker is damaged. However, in your case (if this is the problem) its beginning to self-distruct.

Hope this helps!
Old 06-19-06, 10:35 AM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Xeem, what I've done before to eliminate one of the possibilities is just go to BestBuy and buy an Alpine amp with one of your credit cards. They have an excellent return policy. Take care with the amp, don't scratch it, and don't open anything (manuals etc) other than the actual amp. Wire it up, see if you have the same issue. If you don't, you'll know its your amp, and you can start looking for a new one. Thats what I did when I had a similar problem. And make sure you return it within 30 days! I got stuck with a sub amp I didn't really want becuase I waited till the last minute to return it, and then I had a string of emergencies to take care of and couldn't return it on time.
Old 06-20-06, 10:30 AM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Suneet
Xeem, what I've done before to eliminate one of the possibilities is just go to BestBuy and buy an Alpine amp with one of your credit cards. They have an excellent return policy. Take care with the amp, don't scratch it, and don't open anything (manuals etc) other than the actual amp. Wire it up, see if you have the same issue. If you don't, you'll know its your amp, and you can start looking for a new one. Thats what I did when I had a similar problem. And make sure you return it within 30 days! I got stuck with a sub amp I didn't really want becuase I waited till the last minute to return it, and then I had a string of emergencies to take care of and couldn't return it on time.
That sounds like a good idea. My first step in this is to take it back to U.E., a different location and have them recheck all the wires connections, etc. I still think the amp is wired wrong or the speakers are. I find it hard with my tuning and virtually no distortion, the speaks would just bust like that.

Heres how it was set up. I have a crossover on my alpine deck. That was set at 18db, 125hz. On the amp, its set to a HP cross over, gain is at half, and the frequency is set at somewhere around 70-90hz (to give me more freedom with my deck tuning) The 5.25s put out virtually NO midrange, let alone bass so i let my sub do that.

I might have to refer to buying an amp at best buy if all fails, but itd be a PITA!!! I have the first gen GS so it has that gastank and flimsy 1/4 if even that board. so i had to put 2 2x12x1" boards where the screws go so they don't penetrate the gas tank and explode on me!!

What do you guys think??
Old 06-20-06, 10:56 AM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds like your cross over settings are fine. I would infact let my 5.25s play more midrange. You might be cutting them short? Atleast in my car I like to let my sub just take care of harmonic bass and let my components flare in the midrange. Your components are only 2ohms? What kind are they?

I had a problem like this before with a sub and amp combination I had. On really hot days, the sub would start distorting like crazy and I'd get weird noises. Well I didn't know what the problem was, but my amp was stolen. When I bought a new amp, it was no longer a problem.

I would really try another amp first. Its not really that hard to do, all your wiring is already done, so you just have to unbolt a few screws and screw the new wires in.

I have a first gen LS, which also has the gas tank in the trunk. I took out the carpet covering the gas tank and attached a piece of wood to it, and my amps are attatched from the front of the carpet and screw into this wood. That gas tank is pretty damn solid. I'd imagine it would be very hard to screw into the tank.