Help! Subwoofer is dead!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-06, 11:38 AM
minla007
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Subwoofer is dead!

hello everyone,

I am new to CL here, just bought a 98 gs4 from Kevs...who was an active CL member.

As I was takin the gs4 to the dmv to get titled/registered, I was playing the stereo (aftermarket sony headunit) and all of a sudden the sub went out....dead....no bass.

The current setup is the sony headunit, 2 rockford fosgate amps in the trunk, 1 for the sub and 1 for the other speakers. I believe all speakers are stock.

I have no experience w/ stereo systems, so i was wondering if you guys could help me out on what to do to fix it or troubleshoot it. I don't know if its the amp or the sub.

I have pinged kevin about this and he has no idea of what it may be either, so I'm just lookin to see if someone who has knowledge about car stereo systems to help this newbie out.

I checked the rear deck while the stereo was on and didn't hear andy buzzing or fizzing from the sub. Should I just replace all my speakers? What is a good free air sub that you would recommend? where to buy it? etc.

thanks in advance for your advice and help.
Old 06-20-06, 11:49 AM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

um.. maybe something got disconnected? take it to a sound shop to have it checked out.. don't want loose wires hangin' around lol
Old 06-20-06, 11:55 AM
kevs
Lexus Test Driver

This will probably end up in the Audio section of the forums, but we can always start here!

I've been brainstorming, too....I've never had a problem with my system. Well, excluding that whole fiasco with my Nak system, which I ended up replacing anyway. The amps are in no way connected with the stock system, nor are they touching anything that has to do with the stock system. All stock plugs were pulled from the amps, so there can't be any connection problems in that aspect.

Have you checked the wiring into the sub to make sure it's intact?

I had this system put in less than a year ago and have never had any problems. My installer is really nit-picky when it comes to install, so I'm pretty sure there's nothing loose.

Maybe something might have gotten loose when we put the stock pieces in the car, but I was pretty sure nothing was touching the RF amps.

Should I just replace all my speakers?
Don't replace your speakers just yet. I say find the source first. Unless you were thinking of redoing the whole system (which would be sweet anyway), I'd wait on spending the loot.

What is a good free air sub that you would recommend? where to buy it? etc.
For free air subs, a lot of people preferred the 10" JL free air, butI don't remember the exact model. Other's have put their own template and put on a 12" free air sub. But remember, the stock subwoofer holes won't line up with any aftermarket subs (from what I was told).

Good luck!
Old 06-20-06, 12:05 PM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JL 10" IB4 is the free air sub woofer most people like, including myself. the holes will not match the stock sub holes and you have to use a piece of wood to mount the sub down. not hard at all.
Old 06-20-06, 12:46 PM
minla007
Pole Position

anyone know of a good reputable car audio shop in the northern va, md, dc area?
Old 06-21-06, 07:09 AM
minla007
Pole Position

so i checked it out last night...the wiring looks good, the fuse is ok...i duno what else it could be....i think i might just replace all the speakers cuz the stock speakers sound awful, even w/ the amp hooked up to it

anyone know the dimensions of the stock speakers for a 98 gs4?
front door panel speaker size? back door panel speaker size?

uuuggghhh...this is so frustrating
Old 06-21-06, 09:36 AM
AZ-GS300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by minla007
so i checked it out last night...the wiring looks good, the fuse is ok...i duno what else it could be....i think i might just replace all the speakers cuz the stock speakers sound awful, even w/ the amp hooked up to it

anyone know the dimensions of the stock speakers for a 98 gs4?
front door panel speaker size? back door panel speaker size?

uuuggghhh...this is so frustrating
Is the amp getting power?
Can you see if the sub moves?

If all the speakers now sound like @$#@, you may have been playing it too loud and blown your speakers.