Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket AMP with factory speakers, worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-06, 10:46 PM
gapxguy
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aftermarket AMP with factory speakers, worth it?

Hey guys, I have a spare amplifier that pushes out about 75 watts per channel RMS. Will there be a difference if the factory speakers are fed more power?

It's a 98' GS with Nakamichi btw.

Also do you guys know where I can find a wiring diagram for the factory sound system?

TIA.
Old 06-21-06, 06:40 AM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by gapxguy
Hey guys, I have a spare amplifier that pushes out about 75 watts per channel RMS. Will there be a difference if the factory speakers are fed more power?

Also do you guys know where I can find a wiring diagram for the factory sound system?

TIA.
As long as you tune the amp right and dont max out the volume you should be fine if you use it sensibly. I have a diagram but its for Non-Nak systems. Search around and you will find a couple. If you need any help just PM me.
Old 06-21-06, 09:42 AM
AZ-GS300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TIA.
In my opinion, adding an amp is a waste with the stock speakers. The speakers and amps the car came with were more or less matched from the factory. It's doubtful they'll be able to run 75 watts RMS. There will be a difference, but you'll also run a greater risk of blowing them quickly.

I would upgrade the speakers before upgrading the amp.
Old 06-21-06, 09:50 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

I would NOT recommend just replacing the stock amp and keeping the stock speakers. The stock speakers are crap speakers, plus as someone else pointed out I doubt very much they can handle your amps power output.

Here is the wiring diagram
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
067rapna.pdf (52.8 KB, 351 views)

Last edited by Hameed; 06-21-06 at 09:56 AM.
Old 06-21-06, 10:02 AM
jtgs400
Lead Lap

I removed the speakers from their pods and saw on the back of the magnet that they handle 20-25w. They are 2 ohms. I ran a jl amp with 45w per ch @ 4ohm but since they were 2ohms the amp was probably pushing a good 70w to them. They sounded ok but I don't know how long they will last with that much power. The midrange was very strong but lacked any real bass or high frequencies. The boston acoustic coaxials I put in their place sounded so much better.
Old 06-21-06, 01:04 PM
gapxguy
Lead Lap

Thanks for the responses guys, especially for including the wiring diagram. I have two sets of MB Quart components but one set is 5.25" and the other 6.5". I didn't think they'll be necessary since I'm pretty satisfied with Nakamichi's speakers - plus I hate taking apart door panels and breaking clips.

Does anyone know if I can just tap into the wire harness to power the speakers? The amp is in the trunk and the aftermarket amp is only 2-3 feet away. Will disabling the factory amp disable the factory radio or anything? Thanks for all you input.
Old 06-21-06, 01:34 PM
AZ-GS300
Lead Lap

I must have missed that you were keeping the factory head unit. The factory amp is far too integrated with the factory head unit. If you want to add an aftermarket amp, you'd have to either have an amp with high level inputs or you'd have to use line level converters and run wires from the factory amp to the aftermarket amp(s) and then to the speakers. Which, IMO, is just stupid.

Like adding a racing wing to a Civic, there is no point installing an aftermarket amp with stock speakers and stock head unit.
Old 06-21-06, 04:52 PM
gapxguy
Lead Lap

I guess I'll change out the speakers since the factory ones won't be able to handle the power.

Yeah, I would like to retain the factory radio. I have a complete system, components, subs, amps, etc. - I just want to keep it looking stock as possible.

I want to keep all the functions on the factory radio and everything else aftermarket. I'll use a line converter for the amps, and I'll tap into the harness (from the trunk) to power the speakers.

Would that be possible? Will the factory amp still need to be there for radio functioning purposes?
Old 06-22-06, 06:50 AM
jtgs400
Lead Lap

I guess I'll change out the speakers since the factory ones won't be able to handle the power.

Yeah, I would like to retain the factory radio. I have a complete system, components, subs, amps, etc. - I just want to keep it looking stock as possible.

I want to keep all the functions on the factory radio and everything else aftermarket. I'll use a line converter for the amps, and I'll tap into the harness (from the trunk) to power the speakers.

Would that be possible? Will the factory amp still need to be there for radio functioning purposes?

Maybe this pic might make you change your mind about an aftermarket deck.
Old 06-22-06, 08:10 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

This looks awesome! Is it also a navigation system? If so which model?

Old 06-23-06, 08:31 AM
jtgs400
Lead Lap

[QUOTE=Hameed]This looks awesome! Is it also a navigation system? If so which model?

It's the Alpine IVA-W200 installed in a slightly modified Carson OEM dash kit. It's completely flush with the dash so it gives it a very stock look. It does not have navi built in but can be added either with a Blackbird or the full navi system.
Old 06-23-06, 08:36 AM
AZ-GS300
Lead Lap

Didn't I just answer that before you even asked?
Originally Posted by AZ-GS300
The factory amp is far too integrated with the factory head unit. If you want to add an aftermarket amp, you'd have to either have an amp with high level inputs or you'd have to use line level converters and run wires from the factory amp to the aftermarket amp(s) and then to the speakers.