Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

THE OFFICIAL REVIEWS & LIST - What aftermarket Navigation system do you have?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-06, 11:33 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Suneet
I'm looking at buying one of the Pioneer navigation decks, but I want to know how they function with the iPod. Right now I have a pioneer single din HU, and I have the aux input, as well as the CDB-ib100 that connects the iPod directly to the HU and allows the HU to control the iPod.

On the single din, this interface sucks. I don't use it, i just connect my iPod via the aux in and use that. However I remember seeing some pictures of a pioneer deck where you could control the ipod using the touchscreen, and the interace mimicked the click wheel/interface of the iPod. Has anybody used this? The purchase only seems worth it to me if I can have this feature. For me, navigation is more of a perk. I'm always the guy people call in the middle of the night to ask for directions, so I rarely get lost. I'll just use navigation to see the curves in the road up ahead
On a good sound system, mp3's sound like crap.

I burned all my mp3's to CD and started listening to them in my car (I upgraded the speakers and amps), and I absolutely hate the quality of the MP3 songs. They are all 192 kilobit by the way.

So I don't really feel a GPS with a IPOD interface is that great to begin with, unless ofcourse the audio system your GPS is hooked up to is not that great, then it won't matter - the MP3's will probably sound fine.
Old 07-07-06, 02:12 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
On a good sound system, mp3's sound like crap.

I burned all my mp3's to CD and started listening to them in my car (I upgraded the speakers and amps), and I absolutely hate the quality of the MP3 songs. They are all 192 kilobit by the way.

So I don't really feel a GPS with a IPOD interface is that great to begin with, unless ofcourse the audio system your GPS is hooked up to is not that great, then it won't matter - the MP3's will probably sound fine.

This is absoultely true. Once I put my CDT components into my car, I could hear all the flaws in all of my music. That being said, there is still really no substitute for being able to carry 30gb of music with you. Thats what I love about the iPod. Every once adn a while i will be with a different group of friends, and we will remember that one song that carried so many memories but hadn't listened to in years, and at that moment having that song made the entire iPod investment absoultely worth it.

I like the iTunes AAC format. Much better sounding than mp3. And I used to LOVE minidisc, but they really never took off here, and its just so much easier to use an iPod for an absurd amount of music.

I still think the iPod interface is pretty valuable, given that I use my iPod a lot, and haven't found a better alternative to keeping lots of music. I just rip my CD's in AAC format instead of mp3, and they sound pretty decent. For stuff that I really like, I just keep the CD's around. A lot of the music I listen to isn't readily available in CD format.. thats also an issue. A lot of UK underground bhangra is really tough to find on CD's, so you just get mp3s.

So given all of the above, the main motivation to get the nav unit is to have the luxury of nav, (its a luxury for me, not really a necessity or a remote need), the luxury of an interface that will control my ipod very cleanly, and the cool factor of having a full 6.5" screen display.

I guess its all luxury anyways, but I'm saying that its even further luxury than say, installing the components I did. I considered that a necessity, becuase those 4" pioneer paper cones were almost painful to keep