Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

THE OFFICIAL REVIEWS & LIST - What aftermarket Navigation system do you have?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-06, 09:20 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts
Default THE OFFICIAL REVIEWS & LIST - What aftermarket Navigation system do you have?

Ever since installing my aftermarket navigation system I have noticed a lot of threads that are coming up regarding after market navigation systems and a lot of questions regarding integration of such systems with the existing amp/speakers etc.

I think it will be useful to make this thread a sticky so that we are not constantly answering the same questions over and over again.

I have the Pioneer AVIC-D1

Features of this Navigation system:

- Pioneer In-Dash DVD Multimedia AV Navigation Receiver - AVICD1
- Touch Panel Operation
- Double Disc Slot
- Audio Entertainment System
- Enhanced Graphical XM Audio Interface
- Rear View Camera Capability
- Roadside Assistance Display
- Anti-Glare Screen Coating
- CD/DVD Video Playback
- Voice Instruction Playback
- XM NavTraffic Ready

I just bought it last month and because it is now a discontinued model, I got it at a great price. The fact that it is a discontinued model is not that bad. You can buy an update disc from Pioneer (or ebay) that updates the firmware to the next model (AVIC-D2 - current model) and updates the maps to 2005. On startup now, my nav says it is a 2006 system.

Brief Review:
- Extremely fast recalculation of routes.
- 11 million POI's. This is waaaay more than the 1 million POI's on factory navigation systems that are HD based in some Lexus models like the pre 2001 GS and LS models.
- Very friendly and intuitive touch sensitive menus and interface
- Integration with appropriate dash kits that make it look like a factory system (see pics below).
- Installation is not that hard if you are willing to read up and ask questions here. I am not a DIY person and I was able to install it myself.

I dumped my existing speakers and amp and replaced everything with aftermarket components.

I did this deliberately for two very important reasons:
- it is almost impossible (if not completely impossible) to integrate an after market Head Unit with the existing amp and speakers
- the stock Nakamichi speakers are crappy speakers anyway.

Some pics (not mine). I will update this thread later when I take some pics of my system.

Here's one pic of it in another CL members GS (I don't remember his SN now - in this particular case he custom upholstered the dash kit in leather to match something. The regular dash kit is black and it looks like a factory system):

Close up pic:

And last pic:

Which aftermarket navigation system do you have?
Old 06-22-06, 05:42 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eclipse AVN6600

www.eclipse-web.com i'm too lazy to write it all up

Old 06-22-06, 09:01 PM
vin 78
Lexus Test Driver

Eclipse AVN 2454, like 88supramki, I'm lazy too.

Last edited by vin 78; 06-25-06 at 03:59 PM.
Old 06-23-06, 04:57 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Excellent guys, now how about some personal review of the units so that this thread is more useful to others?
Old 06-23-06, 08:54 AM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the Pioneer Avic-N1 upgraded to the N3. I love the unit but I would have liked something double din. But I had it laying around so I just installed it. I ripped out all of the wiring replaced with 14 guage for all of the speakers and hooked up aftermarket amps. The Pioneer with the update is nice, has all of the maps that my previous version didnt have. Better zooming up to .02 miles. Faster recalculations and just a better overall interface. I'll post some pictures of my unit a little bit later.

Last edited by Spyder78; 06-23-06 at 03:17 PM.
Old 06-23-06, 09:31 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by Spyder78
I have the Pioneer Avic-N1 upgraded to the N3. I love the unit but I would have liked something double din. But I had it laying around so I just installed it. I ripped out all of the wiring replaced with 14 guage for all of the speakers and hooked up aftermarket amps. The Pioneer with the update is nice, has all of the maps that my previous version didnt have. Better zooming up to .02 miles. Faster recalculations and just a better overall interface. I'll post some pictures of my unit a little bit later.
What did you do to upgrade your N1 to the N3? The CNDV-60M disc?

I am curious to know how your calculations are faster now. The upgrade just upgrades some firmware and the maps, so how can the recalculations be faster?

I also just upgraded my D1 to D2 with the CNDV-60M dvd. I have not had a chance to drive it much yet, so haven't noticed any difference yet. I had the D1 for only a week anyway, so I doubt I would notice the difference considering that I had not even gotten used to the D1.
Old 06-23-06, 09:46 AM
copy252
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ECPLISE AVN-30D and have the update disc version 1.4. awesome updates
Old 06-23-06, 10:00 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by copy252
ECPLISE AVN-30D and have the update disc version 1.4. awesome updates
How about some pics and a brief personal review?
Old 06-23-06, 01:24 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

with the eclipse AVN units you can update to 2.0 as well

when i had my AVN2454 I had a disc out of the AVN6600 and i had all of the updated POI's.

the 6600 is more up to date than the 5500.

Personal Review of the AVN6600: I Love It
Old 06-23-06, 03:16 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
What did you do to upgrade your N1 to the N3? The CNDV-60M disc?

I am curious to know how your calculations are faster now. The upgrade just upgrades some firmware and the maps, so how can the recalculations be faster?

I also just upgraded my D1 to D2 with the CNDV-60M dvd. I have not had a chance to drive it much yet, so haven't noticed any difference yet. I had the D1 for only a week anyway, so I doubt I would notice the difference considering that I had not even gotten used to the D1.

Might be just me on the claculations. I havent used the unit in a year so I might have just gotten that mixed up. I had to send out my unit to a company to be modified since if you used the cdnv60 disk than the damn thing locks itself and it doesnt recognize the parking brake ground. I guess that the guy who I sent it to created some kind of bypass and now I can use the new software and still watch movies.
Old 06-23-06, 07:44 PM
vin 78
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hameed
Excellent guys, now how about some personal review of the units so that this thread is more useful to others?
Okay...

Pros:
Navigation
Excellent sound quality
DVD
MP-3
EQ, DSP
Aux input
Camera input
Changer control
All-in-one, no need for an external brain

Cons:
Slow MP-3
Pathetic output voltage, you will need a linedriver if you want the most out of your external amp(s), which isn't a big deal.
It only has one set of AM and FM memories (no FM1, 2,3...)

Eclipse needs to lower the prices on map discs, its outrageously expensive.
Other then that its been perfect, even though the radio is somewhat old.
Old 06-25-06, 06:48 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by stevies30
I have a 97 ES300 with a stock stereo system and I'd like to put in a Pioneer AVIC-Z1. Should I just replace the stock speakers and install new ones using the existing wiring? Will I need a relay and where can I get it? Where can I find a dash kit? What kind of amplifiers do I need? Can I use the stock sub in the back shelf? I'd hate to replace that since I need all the room I can get in my trunk or is there a good sub that I can just install in place of the stock one in the rear shelf? I hate to ask so many questions but youi said to ask.....lol. All the information you could give me would be greatly appreciated along with any advice since you obviously know what you're doing with this stuff.
Scenario 1: Replace HU, existing stock speakers, amp and wiring
Pros:
- Depending on what components you buy, you will end up with a much better sound system (assuming a good install ofcourse)
- Not as hard to do by yourself - save money on install cost

Cons: (the opposite of the pros)
- If not installed properly, your system will sound worse
- DIY install can be challenging if you don't have the patience to read some simple instructions and are a bit brave. It's not very hard, so I don't rate this con as a big deal.
- Cost ($$$). (you have to buy new speakers, amp(s), wiring etc)
- Downtime - you will have your car apart for a couple of days - I had mine apart for 6 days and obviously could not drive it.

Scenario 2: Replace HU and keep existing speakers, amp, wiring
Pros:
- Cheap. Not expensive since you would only be replacing the HU

Cons:
- The install will be much harder. You would have to splice into existing wiring harnesses as it is hard to find connectors that will do the job cleanly
- Your system will not sound any better and that would be a complete waste of time in this excercise.

Questions you need to ask yourself
1. Is the quality of the sound important to you?
2. Do you have the budget to buy the speakers, HU and amp(s)?

If your answers to both questions is YES, then it's obvious what path you should take.

If your answer to the first question is YES and to the second is NO, then you should save up your money and buy the components.

If your answer to the first question is NO, then don't do anything.

If however you want to add navigation to your car and the questions above are not important to you, just get a good Garmin portable GPS unit. There is zero install cost, zero downtime, and you can use the unit in more than one vehicle.
Old 07-04-06, 08:54 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Feedback review update on Routing modes of the AVIC-D1.

I am loving the D1 so far.

Have run into one annoyance though.

What modes of routing does the D1 have?

I can only see two modes - (1) fast and (2) short

Fast tends to focus on highways and short does the opposite.

Is there anything in between - highways and non highways to do fast and short at the same time?

For example - I came from Kitchener back to Oakville on the weekend

Logically the fastest way to come back to Oakville is to take 401 East, Hwy 6 south, 403 East, QEW east and then exit at Burloak

So that is a combination of hwy and secondary road (highway 6)

However the D1 (on fast route) picked - 401 East all the way to 407 in Mississauga, then 407 West to 403 Hamilton and then QEW West to Hamilton.

How ****ing stupid is that???? It takes you so far East (just to stay on the Highways) and then makes you drive all the way back to the West (adding at least 20 30 kms to the trip) and the goddam journey is not even faster than taking the logically shorter and faster route (first route I mentioned).

Is there anything in between you can set on the D1?
Old 07-06-06, 10:46 AM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Navigation & Ipod

I'm looking at buying one of the Pioneer navigation decks, but I want to know how they function with the iPod. Right now I have a pioneer single din HU, and I have the aux input, as well as the CDB-ib100 that connects the iPod directly to the HU and allows the HU to control the iPod.

On the single din, this interface sucks. I don't use it, i just connect my iPod via the aux in and use that. However I remember seeing some pictures of a pioneer deck where you could control the ipod using the touchscreen, and the interace mimicked the click wheel/interface of the iPod. Has anybody used this? The purchase only seems worth it to me if I can have this feature. For me, navigation is more of a perk. I'm always the guy people call in the middle of the night to ask for directions, so I rarely get lost. I'll just use navigation to see the curves in the road up ahead
Old 07-06-06, 10:54 AM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

It looks like only the Z1 and N3 support this interface. Crap! I'm going to have to save up.. I'd really like that interface! Its so much cleaner than having a cable coming out below my glove compartment and holding my ipod in my hand while driving. Also its so easy to get lost in your iPod while driving. This may be a safter route.

Quick Reply: THE OFFICIAL REVIEWS & LIST - What aftermarket Navigation system do you have?