Sponsored by:

Bad garage door opener?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-06, 08:02 AM
D.Aho
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad garage door opener?

Hi everyone, I'm a transplant from the bimmerforums. I finally got rid of my 540i and bought a 1998 Lexus GS300. One problem I'm having is I can't get the homelink garage door opener in my car to accept the hand held garage opener signal. The directions in the hand book are pretty simple. It says to hold in the button to be programmed until it blinks, mine won't do that. Mine blinks feverishly as soon as I touch it. Then if I hold it down it turns solid red. I tried every scenario I could think of yesterday and could not get any of the three buttons to program at all. As a matter of fact, the third button on the right just stays solid red. I am so frustrated with this thing. Does anyone know what the problem could be?
Old 06-23-06, 12:30 PM
CompuMan
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HomeLink

I just moved a homelink module from an RX300 to my SC400 and got the re-programming instructions from www.homelink.com.
Your instructions may be different. but this worked for me:

NOTE: Some vehicles may require the ignition to be turned on or to the second (or “accessory” or ACC) position for training and/or operation of HomeLink. It is also recommended that a new battery be replaced in the hand held transmitter of the device being trained to HomeLink for quicker training and accurate transmission of the radio frequency.
1. For first time training, press and hold the two outer HomeLink buttons, releasing only when the HomeLink indicator light begins to flash after 20 seconds. (Do not perform this step when training the additional HomeLink buttons.)
2. Position the hand-held transmitter 1-3 inches away from the HomeLink surface (located on your visor), keeping the HomeLink indicator light in view.
3. Using both hands, simultaneously press and hold both the desired HomeLink button and hand held transmitter button. DO NOT release until the HomeLink indicator light flashes slowly and then rapidly. When the indicator light flashes rapidly, both buttons may be released. (The rapid flashing indicates successful training.) Note: Some garage door openers may require you to replace step 3 with the “cycling” procedure noted in the “View Canadian Instructions” section.
4. Press and hold the trained HomeLink button and observe the indicator light.· If the indicator light is solid/continuous, training is complete and your device should activate when the HomeLink button is pressed and released. · If the indicator light blinks rapidly for 2 seconds and then turns a solid/continuous light, proceed with the following training instructions for a rolling code device. A second person may make the following steps quicker and easier. Please use a ladder or other device. Do not stand on your vehicle to perform the next steps.
5. At the garage door opener receiver (motorhead unit) in the garage, locate the “learn” or “smart” button (usually near where the hanging antenna wire is attached to the unit). If there is difficulty locating the training button, reference the garage door opener’s manual or contact us.
6. Press and release the “learn” or “smart” button (the name and color of the button may vary by manufacturer). NOTE: Once the button is pressed, there are 30 seconds in which to initiate the next step.
7. Return to the vehicle and firmly press and hold the trained HomeLink button for two seconds and release. Repeat the “press/hold/release” sequence up to 3 times to complete the training process.
HomeLink should now activate your device.
Retain the original hand-held transmitter of the RF device you are programming for use in other vehicles, as well as for future HomeLink programming. It is also suggested that upon the sale of the vehicle, the programmed HomeLink buttons be erased for security purposes. To erase the programmed buttons, perform the procedure shown in step number 1.
**To train additional HomeLink buttons, begin with step two.

I hope that this helps
Old 06-23-06, 03:32 PM
psp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

The first thing I would do is to clear the memory and then start fresh (see step one from CompuMan above). Second, see if your garage door opener uses "rolling codes". If it does you need to make sure your Lexus unit is compatable with "rolling codes" (the one in my 97 Maxima was not compatable with rolling codes). Next there is a training session you have to do on the garage door opener itself. Then you should be able to program the unit in the Lexus (if compatable).

I hope this makes some sense.
Old 06-23-06, 06:12 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a rolling code opener and my Rav 4 learned it first time .