Old 07-01-06, 02:32 PM
minla007
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question pioneer avic z1 & jl ib4 questions/prices

all,

i found this today: avic z1 for ~$1400
http://www.thecamerapros.com/prodeta...31772&start=1#

seems like a good price....problem is, the retail stores like bestbuy, cc, myer-emco won't install it for me....unless i buy it from them adn they are charging 2200+ for it.....anybody in the va/dc/md area wanna help me install it? or know of a play that will install it?

also, found a 10" jl ib4 for $150
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=2752

same problem...these stores won't install it and they don't carry it....
i do not endorse any of these companies, just wanted to get fellow CL members opinions and to see if anybody knows of a shop in the va/md/dc area that will install it and guarantee their work....or if they have done it before, to give me some tips...

thanks
Old 07-02-06, 10:44 AM
minla007
Pole Position

anybody ordered anything from woofersetc.com or thecamerapros.com before? if so, how was the product and how was your experience dealing with them?
Old 07-02-06, 09:28 PM
johnp66
Rookie

Make sure the discounter provides a US warranty if you try to install this yourself. There have been stories on AVIC911.com about guys shorting a circuit. Even discounted, this is a high-dollar unit. You can probably find an independent who will install it for you, but expect to pay a premium. And, no, I wouldn't expect the retailers to touch a mail-order unit.
Old 07-03-06, 06:10 AM
minla007
Pole Position

Originally Posted by johnp66
Make sure the discounter provides a US warranty if you try to install this yourself. There have been stories on AVIC911.com about guys shorting a circuit. Even discounted, this is a high-dollar unit. You can probably find an independent who will install it for you, but expect to pay a premium. And, no, I wouldn't expect the retailers to touch a mail-order unit.

yeah i guess ill have to find an independent installer or something to install it for me, if i do get it....i dont understand why the major retailers won't install it ....is it because they want me to buy it from them and pay that 800+ markup price?....that is silly to me....they could make a few hundred $ off me from the install...but instead they choose to make $0 off me cuz they won't do it...and because i won't pay their outrageous markup price.

hmmmm...what to do?
Old 07-03-06, 06:14 PM
johnp66
Rookie

Just thinking out loud for a minute, but ... several good reasons come to mind as to why a local retailer wouldn't install an Internet sale.

First, why should they solve their biggest competitor's biggest barrier to sales? To help them sell more units and take more business away from them? You wouldn't do it if you were running their company.

Second, many of these Internet dealers are unauthorized and Pioneer would probably frown at at their authorized local distributor providing back-door support for an unauthorized reseller.

Third, and this is a big one, the locals don't know the source of the unit and/or the condition of the unit. It could be refurbished, gray market or even stolen. If they have a problem with a unit they buy from Pioneer, Pioneer stands behind the unit and takes it back if it's defective. If the mystery unit from the Internet goes kaput, you also might sue the local retailer in small claims court.

Fourth, these retailers are woefully understaffed to handle volume sales. They can hardly keep up with the installs, and paying customers don't like waiting behind some guy who got a deal on the Internet. Bad public relations, and relationships are vital for local retailers. Bottom line is it costs the store to have installers standing around waiting for a unit to be sold. It's overhead the reseller doesn't have to pay, and that's part of the reason for your great deal.

A better question might be why some nimble service company doesn't set up a network of shops to provide local installation for Internet resellers. One of the major delivery companies does computer maintenance for one of the largest PC manufacturers. You get a return authorization and the PC ends up in the delivery company's workshop. It's returned and you probably assume that the manufacturer did your repair. Truth be told, this manufacturer doesn't even manufacture the PC.

Some of the resellers have solved their warranty problems with third-party insurors. I wouldn't be surprised to see some of the larger ones figure out the installation solution. Until then, you have to find an indy and pay the premium. I'd be interested in knowing what they charge you and how long they warranty their work.

Last edited by johnp66; 07-03-06 at 06:18 PM.
Old 07-03-06, 06:17 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i can tell you for a fact that JL will not honor any warranties from internet sales
Old 07-04-06, 11:36 AM
lexusmonk
Driver

I emailed woofersetc.com and asked them the following:

"Hello,
>
> I am interested in this JL 10" IB4 free air subwoofer.
>
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=2752
>
> Are you an authorized JL dealer?
> Is the product brand new?
> Does it come with any warranty? Manufacturer or Yours?
> What is your return policy?
>
> Please advise.
"

This is their response:

"Hello,

Our Los Angeles retail store is an authorized dealer of all the brands
we carry,
thus all our products come with a one year warranty, and additional one
and two
year warranties can be purchased as well, prices varying on the items
in
question. Also, all our products are brand new unless specifically
listed as
refurbished.

Thank you for your inquiry,

-Julian
WoofersEtc.com
"

*** Note : that they said their "LA retail store"....so I'm not sure if this also applies to internet sales.
Old 07-04-06, 02:01 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

good luck on the warranty. that sub hasn't been produced for quite a while.