Sponsored by:

Solution to getting mid-bass back

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-06, 01:23 PM
handzilla
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solution to getting mid-bass back

I blew my sub and got it replaced. Good thing I had the purchased the replacement plan. Still kinda pissed that I am missing some mid bass, and about the guy saying he forgetting to warn me about this prior to the install.

So hear is my solution:

I'm going to put the factory sub back in in addition to the Kicker. Hopefully that will take care of the issue since that is where most of the mid bass was coming from in the first place.

So I'll have my Kicker 12" hitting the deep bass, my factory 10" hitting the mid bass, and the door speakers hitting everything else.

Has anyone ever tried this set up?
Old 07-10-06, 02:38 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Midbass should be coming from the speaker, but the OEM system probably has the sub playing over 80hz.

Few questions first..where was the kicker sub mounted and was it in a sealed box or vented box? And what kind of Kicker sub did you have? Lastly, how did you blow the sub, and what did the salesman warned you against?
Old 07-10-06, 03:13 PM
jtgs400
Lead Lap

If you're lacking good mid-bass the best method would be to replace the front speakers with a set of quality components. I have a set of 6.5" Focal components up front driven with 100w each and they sound awesome. On some music I can almost do away with the sub cause these can dish out some serious low to midbass.
Old 07-10-06, 03:50 PM
vin 78
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like the other two stated, midbass should be coming from the front.
I added a pair of 9" midbass speakers in my front doors and I don't really need my subs anymore. Yes, it doesn't cover the entire sub/bass area, but its satisfying enough for me. And Yes, by crossing over the midbass at such a low setting, you will lose output from your subs, since its playing a more limited frequency range (assuming that you are setting the sub crossover based on the midbass speaker crossover setting).
The key is to cross them over as lowest possible, so the majority of the bass seems to be coming from the front. My door speakers are band-passed at 50-250hz with 200 watts going to each speaker, and I'm thinking of getting rid of the subs (which are turned off most of the time).

If you are not considering venturing into extra large midbass speakers, then look for a high quality of front 6.5 comp's ie: dynaudio, boston, focal etc. And cross them over as lowest as they can handle.
Old 07-11-06, 06:08 AM
handzilla
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by GSteg
Midbass should be coming from the speaker, but the OEM system probably has the sub playing over 80hz.

Few questions first..where was the kicker sub mounted and was it in a sealed box or vented box? And what kind of Kicker sub did you have? Lastly, how did you blow the sub, and what did the salesman warned you against?
I currently have a Kicker Comp 12" in a sealed box in the back of the trunk sitting right underneath where the factory sub was. BTW I kept the factory stereo as well. I think I blew the sub by playing too loud.