Sponsored by:

ARrrrgghhhh!!! Frustrating!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-06, 12:28 AM
V8Lexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ARrrrgghhhh!!! Frustrating!!

Ok so the other day im up visiting my uncle and his fiance. My gf is with me and we decide go to run some errands so i ask if i can borrow his truck (03 escalade if anyone cares) so he says ok but leave your keys just in case i need to leave. No prob. So to make a long story short when we go to take the trip home its about 9pm so obviously its dark and i flip on my headlights, no problem. Head to the gas station to fill up, then get back on the highway. My gf says "lets see whats on the radio", sounds like a great idea to me, wow the radio, awesome invention. Anyway, i press power, hmm thats funny, i hear music but i dont see anything on the radio. Alright lets fiddle with the little dimmer **** on the drivers side above the mirror adjusting switch. Still no light on the radio display. The *****/buttons all over the car ALL are lit up, even the power and tune ***** on the radio. Climate control display lights up perfectly just no radio light. Now its getting frustrating, i cant tell what station im listening to until they say the name of the station. I havent looked at any of the fuses yet because since i work in the automotive field i know there isnt a Radio Backlight Fuse.(maybe im wrong??) anyway, i call him up because i'd also left my phone charger there and asked him if he could bring it down on wednesday and he says sure no prob, and i casually ask him about the radio whether or not it was working, he says he just turned it on, then again he only drove the car in the day so he might not have noticed whether or not the light was working AND on my way up there during the day i might not have noticed either, i only drove the car once at night that entire weekend and that was on the way home. Any advice? im willing to conquer this myself but i dont want to tear apart everything just to find out there was an easier solution.

EDIT: the car i was in is an 01 GS430, no nav no ML sound just regular lexus premium sound stereo. my dad has an 01 GS430 as well with nav/no ML and hes never had any issues with his displays and his car has more miles than mine does. mine has 110 and his has 145.
Old 07-18-06, 08:14 AM
jtgs400
Lead Lap

If an electronic device is going to fail, it's going to fail regardless of what the mileage is. Although the reliablity and longivity of electronics has increased greatly they still do fail. In this case I think the LCD screen and backlight has gone bad. If so there's really nothing you can do except take it into a shop and have them repair it.
Old 07-21-06, 01:21 AM
V8Lexus
Rookie

eh.....i dont think i got the point across effectively. that or you misunderstood. the LCD screen itself is completely fine. and yes it is because of the mileage. obviously more mileage = more driving so light is on longer. light bulbs have a finite lifespan. i want to know how to take the radio apart and take out the bulb and put in a new bulb. since im doing that i'd rather switch it to a white bulb to match the gauges. if i can do that successfully ill do the climate screen as well.