Sponsored by:

How to install stereo (SC400)

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-06, 01:00 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default How to install stereo (SC400)

I was wondering how to disassemble the dash area to install a new deck. Anyone have any links to this or pics or directions, anything? Id like to see if there are any instructions on how to do this before I go ahead and just tear is apart and learn for myself... lol

I forgot to add that I dont care about getting the CD changer to work as mine is already broken and being that its in the rear of the car I find it a PITA anyway. I just want to know if there are any resources on how to take the dash apart.

Last edited by 92 SC400; 07-20-06 at 01:04 AM.
Old 07-24-06, 01:15 PM
FLIPPU
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
I was wondering how to disassemble the dash area to install a new deck. Anyone have any links to this or pics or directions, anything? Id like to see if there are any instructions on how to do this before I go ahead and just tear is apart and learn for myself... lol

I forgot to add that I dont care about getting the CD changer to work as mine is already broken and being that its in the rear of the car I find it a PITA anyway. I just want to know if there are any resources on how to take the dash apart.

I'm doing an SC400 tonight. He want's an aftermarket Alpine to be installed and just wired to the speakers.

He did mention that he wanted the stock system back on, but after calling the Lexus Parts dept for the OEM Plugs since his was CUT-OFF by the previous owner, the Price for the FULL OEM Plug (2 parts) is right around...$2700.00...

This is just a friendly warning, that if you cut your harness and want to put it back to STOCK...you WILL have to fork out the money to get it there..and it's A LOT OF SCRATCH!!!!..wow, $2700.00!!!
Old 07-24-06, 03:39 PM
kratos
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Coles notes version...

1) Turn igition on and pull back the shift lever into neutral.
2) With your thumb nail of small flathead screwdriver, pop down the plastic base of the shift lever below the **** to reveal two phillips head screws
3) Remove the two screws and don't lose them!
4) Pull off the shift lever
5) With your fingers, pry or pull up the black shift panel (the one surrounding the shifter area)
6) Disconnect the two or three plugs that plug into the shift panel and lift the panel off.
7) Remove the cup holder behind the shift area
8) Remove the 6 screws which hold the centre console trim onto the console itself. There are two where the cupholder was and 4 more under where the shift panel was.
9) Slowly and carefully remove the console top panel upwards (so the clips release) then towards the read of the vehicle so the other clips can release.
10) Unplug the molexes at the back of the console panel to the right of the radio.
11) Locate the 4 or 6 bolts that hold the radio and bracket assembly in place. I think 4 are phillips and two are 8 or 10 mm. hex bolts. This bracket will not come all the way out because there are harnesses plugged into the bottom of it.
12) Unplug the 4 harnesses from the radio and unbolt the radio from the bracket
13) Secure the new deck at the top of the radio bracket using the old bolts
14) Fill the 1 1/2 Din hole with either a custom made pocket, ABS cut-out, single DIN pocket (leaving a 1/2 Din space) or whatever will fit.
15) Do a search on the wiring. It will help alot more than I could !
Old 07-25-06, 12:39 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kratos
My Coles notes version...

1) Turn igition on and pull back the shift lever into neutral.
2) With your thumb nail of small flathead screwdriver, pop down the plastic base of the shift lever below the **** to reveal two phillips head screws
3) Remove the two screws and don't lose them!
4) Pull off the shift lever
5) With your fingers, pry or pull up the black shift panel (the one surrounding the shifter area)
6) Disconnect the two or three plugs that plug into the shift panel and lift the panel off.
7) Remove the cup holder behind the shift area
8) Remove the 6 screws which hold the centre console trim onto the console itself. There are two where the cupholder was and 4 more under where the shift panel was.
9) Slowly and carefully remove the console top panel upwards (so the clips release) then towards the read of the vehicle so the other clips can release.
10) Unplug the molexes at the back of the console panel to the right of the radio.
11) Locate the 4 or 6 bolts that hold the radio and bracket assembly in place. I think 4 are phillips and two are 8 or 10 mm. hex bolts. This bracket will not come all the way out because there are harnesses plugged into the bottom of it.
12) Unplug the 4 harnesses from the radio and unbolt the radio from the bracket
13) Secure the new deck at the top of the radio bracket using the old bolts
14) Fill the 1 1/2 Din hole with either a custom made pocket, ABS cut-out, single DIN pocket (leaving a 1/2 Din space) or whatever will fit.
15) Do a search on the wiring. It will help alot more than I could !
So this needs to be done with the car on?

FLIPPU - If I dont want to put it back to stock then cutting the harness wont be a problem then right?

Nevermind, I wasnt thinking. I just realized I can turn the car off and leave it on neutral and just set the parking brake.

Last edited by 92 SC400; 07-25-06 at 12:52 AM.
Old 07-25-06, 02:59 PM
no2faber
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i forget the site, but do a google search. there's a website that has pictures and a step by step on how to remove it. I used that site the first time i did it. It's a little tricky. I've done my at least 10 tens since so i know it by heart now. lol
Old 07-25-06, 11:38 PM
Tranceman
Rookie

http://www.carstereohelp.com/stereor...usSC300Str.htm

i think the sc300 and sc400 instructions are the same.
Old 07-27-06, 12:37 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Tranceman
http://www.carstereohelp.com/stereor...usSC300Str.htm

i think the sc300 and sc400 instructions are the same.
Thanks for the link!
Old 07-14-08, 12:00 AM
wosp07
Driver School Candidate

Thanks very much for the link..