Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

My installer cheated on my audio install

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-06, 01:09 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

i know, im talking about in general, thats the advantage to best buy or any other MAJOR retail operation (CC, frys, etc...) is that no matter how many times they can screw it up, they have to fix it in the end or give u ur money back.
Old 08-05-06, 08:50 PM
AZ-GS300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
i know, im talking about in general, thats the advantage to best buy or any other MAJOR retail operation (CC, frys, etc...) is that no matter how many times they can screw it up, they have to fix it in the end or give u ur money back.
You call that an advantage? Umm..... I'd rather it be done right the first time and be on my way rather than taking it back two, three, or four times to fix something they should have done right the first time.

Stereo and alarm installation isn't difficult. That's why none of those places really require any sort of certifications. But if you like saving a couple bucks and don't mind sitting waiting without your car for them to get it right, by all means. Go for it.
Old 08-05-06, 09:40 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That is increadible. I've never seen a speaker cone crack like that before. I've seen paper cones deteriorate, or foam/ subber surrounds crack, but never the cone material. What is the cone made our of? Is it pastic? Anyway, I think OLT is right about how the cone cracked. Since part of it was pressing up against the door panel the cones movement was not linear and obtructed on one side. That caused the cone to distort and twist and eventually crack. Personally, I would have taken as much refund back as possible and move on to another shop if I were you. I do my own alarm and A/V installation on all my cars anyway, but for you I wouldn't let that shop to any more work on my car. When they tried to justify their installation with the comment that duct tape is strong I would have taken my money and ran out the door.
Old 08-05-06, 10:34 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

don't get me wrong, i think that its worth paying for a quality job the first time but for those with no install funds it is frustrating.

personally im a DIY type of person, that way if its messed up at least i know how its wired and its easy to fix.
Old 08-05-06, 11:36 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
That is increadible. I've never seen a speaker cone crack like that before.

lord knows i have....
Old 08-06-06, 09:10 AM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

I had 2 installers do my car. One guy did the speakers, and one did everything else. The guy that did the speakers told me he was doin installation for 20 years, so i asked him why my speakers did this. all he could do is scratch his head and wonder. I pointed out the wear on the rubber part. And all of a sudden he REMEMBERED?!? Sweet, this guy has been doing installation longer than i have been alive and i'm pointing things out to him.

The reason why I didn't do my own installation is because....yes, terrified to do installation on a lexus, and i have no experience in doing any molding/panels or anything of that matter. But i am learning and just finished rewiring up my cap and amps so i'll have pics up soon

I'm still waiting to hear back from corporate. I told them what i wanted (Which was not all of my money back but a justifiable amount) but now, i'm goin for the full refund. This is just not right, when you have to go back 3 4 times and still not get the job done right, that shoud say somethings. I'm going to circuit city.

Tammy: Funny thing tho, my parents wanted to save a few bucks on window replacement....bad idea, (not to stereotype) But this mexican entreprenuer was refered to us by a friend who had their windows done. He didn't want to pay a knowledgeble guy to measure out our windows so he decided to do it himself. Since our house is a fully custom house, all windows were not standard size. After waiting and getting the windows shipped, he had some half a$$ed workers put them in....OOOPS, they were too small. SURE, lets ghetto rig the hell out of Max's house!! That didn't fly with my stepdad. so thats 6, 7 grand out of his pocket. Thats like 2 3 weeks out of our pocket of construction mess in our house. So they got the right size windows in later on. The work was attrocious. Once again, we could have done a better job with a little bit of knowledge. The guy demanded money from us in order to complete the work because he ran out of money. In the end, we never ended up paying him the full amount, the guy ran off to a different state somewhere, all the work was never completed in our house. No screen door for patio, the put a hole in our wall during construction so they patched it up but never painted it. After 1 year, our patio paint is wearing off.

After experiencing this, i hesitate to go to private shops simply because they could close down at any moment or they could BS the work, and the biggest person in the store i could talk to to resolve the problem would actually be doing the work. Hope you guys understand this!
Old 10-22-06, 04:35 PM
chinkster
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cjones2402
He said it could be done but it'd be a lot of work

WHAT THE HELL!!! thats his JOB....man..when i come up there please tell me where this shop is at...i really need to see it.(i wonder if its the same shop my lil brother walked in and heard his mix tape/cd playing at)...running wires is not hard...and if it is...he's in the wrong bizness...the whole concept of car audio is based on running wires...SMDH
running wires through factory grommets is HARD... if you want it done super clean you need to pull out the $100's instead of the $10's.
Old 10-28-06, 02:29 PM
cjones4640
Driver

well it wasnt that hard to me...and i work at a shop (the c.c.guys)for 3 yrs and the only hard part to me was dealing with the a$$ wipes that would mess up the install after i finished with it and swear on their mothers grave that they didnt touch nothin.