Default My installer cheated on my audio install

Heres what i had done.

Run 4 guage wiring kit
Install, mount 4 channel amp
Run new 14 guage speaker wire
Install and connect front components
Install and connect rear speakers
Install deck

EVerything worked just fine until 3 weeks into the install my rear speakers blew INfinity Kappas. So thats 90$ down the drain. Finally, just got to replacing the broken speakers. So heres what i find:

The baffle is all ghetto rigged. Its supposed to be a tight seal right?? That tight seal is BLACK TAPE. Is that a joke?? Bad enough, as i'm hooking up new speakers, i started soldering and the solder spread awfully quickly so i pondered upon it.....its stock wires....its like 20 guage??

That makes me very very VERY . Heres what my speaker looks like:

The amp is alpine 4 channel mrp-f450 which puts out 70rms x 4 i believe which is why i upgraded the speaker wire.

Is it possible that this couple feet of 20 guage stock wire that go up to the speaker cause my kappas to blow or cause damage to my speakers? Does this little length of small gauuge speaker wire decrease sound quality!?

PLEASE HELP

Thanks for all the help in advance
Old 07-31-06, 02:43 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

20 guage will only limit the power going to the speaker. It wont decrease sound quality (actually, lower volume has less distortion, but thats a different story).

The problem I see is that because they were ghetto-mounted, the cone is over-excurting that the cone flexes and eventually breaks. You lose a lot of volume by not having it air tight, so you tried to comphensate by turning up the volume, only to lead to this.

I would go back to the shop and raise hell.

1999 Lexus GS400
-Stock

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page.
Old 07-31-06, 02:51 PM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is why I only trust myself. I feel bad for you though Xeeem, You finally get all your stuff installed and come to find out the installer did crap like this. Like GSteg said, I would go back and raise some serious hell, they should pay for your speaker.
Old 07-31-06, 03:15 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Had a guy do that to me over at the old United Audio. Everything was scotch locks, no solder and the workmanship was just plain AWFUL. I filed a complaint against the guy but they said they can't fire him as his "skills" were unique. Lots of torn carpeting and he would never let anyone in the back shop...now I know why.

Tore the whole entire system apart and learned car audio from there on in. That was nearly 15 years ago!

Percy
Old 07-31-06, 03:30 PM
Alan D
Driver

It's crap like that which makes me want to continue doing my own installs. At least I know it's done right and if something breaks, I know exactly how it is wired. The other option is to make sure you are dealing with a good shop, ask for references, ask friends, etc. A good installer may not want you vulturing over him the entire time but he would be proud enough of his work to have you in the shop to see it in various stages.
Old 07-31-06, 04:39 PM
stevies30
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That's the reason I do all my own stuff too. Something else you might want to think about - if that speaker looks like that, how did they install the rest of your system? It's sad to think that you might have to tear your whole setup apart but it may be a good idea. At least that way you'd know what you really have and it may save you from blowing another speaker or maybe an amp......
Old 07-31-06, 05:03 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts

If you look at your broken speaker you can see imprints in the surround near the break, this is where the cone smacked the door panel and broke. It did not have enough clearance and was touching even at rest.

PS- don't look too far into a tight seal on small mids. Most mids are set in a free air environment so even having a baffle remotely close is more than enough.
Old 07-31-06, 05:10 PM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GSteg
20 guage will only limit the power going to the speaker. It wont decrease sound quality (actually, lower volume has less distortion, but thats a different story).

The problem I see is that because they were ghetto-mounted, the cone is over-excurting that the cone flexes and eventually breaks. You lose a lot of volume by not having it air tight, so you tried to comphensate by turning up the volume, only to lead to this.

I would go back to the shop and raise hell.
Now that i think about it, my speaker amp does overheat....atleast gets to the point where i can't touch it. The speakers used to sound fantastic....although i noticed that the baffle wasn't air tight, they sounded great with no distortion and then one day BAM....crackle crackle crackle

I had no choice of where i was going to install it really, Ultimate Electronics has the best image here in MN. Best buy managed to screw up my previous system so thats a no no.

I called them today and told them i was changing out the speaker, and they might start BSing me bout messing with their work causing to void the warranty. But i think i'll be ok.

I looked through the grill where my right rear speaker sits, that cracked speaker in the image i showed you is nothing compared to this one! There is a triangular chunk that cracked off the cone bout 2 inches long!!!

Guys, this has really really REALLY pissed me off, could someone please tell me more specifically on what i should tell them tommorow. What is causing this and should i make them rebuild the baffle?

Are they responsible for the damaged speakers? Could my front components or amp be damaged?!?

Thanks for all the great advice so far

Last edited by Xeeeeeem; 07-31-06 at 05:16 PM.
Old 07-31-06, 07:04 PM
AZ-GS300
Lead Lap

One of the biggest things is to make sure that running the 14 gauge wire was part of your invoice. If it is, show them the invoice and ask them why the wire wasn't run as claimed.

The warranty on the speakers may be covered by the manufacturer. You don't really say what size amp and what rating the speakers are. It's very unlikely they are responsible for the speaker damage. More likely your problem.
Old 07-31-06, 07:15 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts

Did you read what I wrote above when you looked at that pic? Your speakers are clearly sitting against the door panel on that corner. It is an installer error and you simply need to point out that the speakers were installed off center contacting the door and causing damage.

Beginning, middle, end of story. Improper installation, speakers are not centered, speakers are touching the door panel. That's what I wrote before you showed the picture
Attached Thumbnails My installer cheated on my audio install-img_5656.jpg  

Last edited by O. L. T.; 07-31-06 at 07:18 PM.
Old 08-01-06, 01:18 AM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

Thanks O.L.T. but heres the thing, the speakers were bought online and don't have warrantee. I've had them for more than 1 year anyways but they were only in use for maybe 2 3 months at most.

Since the speakers were rubbing on the grill, that means faulty installation meaning they F'd up my speakers meaning they need to provide me with new speakers correct? I know they will laugh in my face if i propose such an idea.

Anyone of you guys have any idea what could cause these speakers to crack like that? I'm bringing my car in tommorow...well today at 1pm?? I gotta get to the end of this or they will feed me more bull$h/^ and AUUUCHUUUUU....excuse me, i'm allergic to bull$^#@
Old 08-01-06, 01:55 PM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

Default Had a talk with the installer

So heres the agreement Ultimate electronics and me came up with. They refund the install charges for the rear speaker install, and the 14 guage wire install. (75$)

Now about the speakers, they wouldn't budge on giving me new ones for free but i did manage to talk them down to putting the 75 towards and pay 35 additional dollars. 149.99 retail.

IMO, this is still BS but its better than nothing. They said the rear baffle is more complex than the front one and required more work. The also said ducktape is a strong material....I laughed in his face. In order to do it properly, they would need to fiber glass or seal it up somehow which requires more money for labor.

Whats your take on this situation guys?
Old 08-01-06, 02:34 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

thats bull, they should pay for the speakers outright AND refund you the $75 since they didnt do the work they were paid to do. if they ***** take it up with your CC company (hopefully u paid with CC)
Old 08-01-06, 03:12 PM
cjones2402
Driver School Candidate

all B.S. aside.......get the money they owe...and go to another shop..if they messed it up once ....u think 2nd times a charm??? plus whatever u THINK they giving u a discount on...they are not....the money they gave you will b added right back into the "extra" labor cost for doing the re-work..any labor should b free at this point...IMO they should have told you about the fiber glass baffels in the first place but seeing that 1 zillon ppl has put rears in and didnt use fiber glass should say something for the shop..POINT BLANK...they didnt count on you taking the doors off and see their work for a year or so...**** my mom stay on oliver n..ill be happy to help u with ur car when i come up there in a couple of weeks...lol... sometimes it dosent pay to go to a big store..some mom and pop shops do a hell of a better job cause they depend on word of mouth to get business..big stores (some) dont care about you..i worked at circuit city for two yrs and took pride in ALL my work..some of my co-workers at other stores didnt...next time..ask to see past work...i had a book of most of my installs..JM 2cents

Last edited by cjones2402; 08-01-06 at 03:18 PM.
Old 08-01-06, 03:20 PM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

I did pay with a Credit Card. This is the second time i go back to them with complaints. First time with the overcharge.

They way overcharged me the first time, now this. I think i will talk to the regional manager or whoever in Denver. For a 560$ Install, they could of thought something better than Ducktape

The reason the guy didn't run 14 gauge to my speakers and only to my doors is because the wires can't fit thru the rubber piece where all the other wires run. He said it could be done but it'd be a lot of work.

I'm just so tired of seeing they faces there it makes me sick to my stomach. I don't want to EVER see their faces again.

Quick Reply: My installer cheated on my audio install