MP3 connection problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-06, 09:10 PM
persia8190
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MP3 connection problem

Hey everyone,

I have a 1995 Lexus ES300 with stock stereo. I also have a Dell DJ30 (mp3 player). I bought a Cassette Adapter when I got the MP3 player, but I'm not too happy with the quality (plus, the cassette player is broken). I don't wan't to resort to FM transmitters/mods, because quality will once again be an issue. The stock stereo does come with a CD Changer.

Here's a pic:

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could guide me step-by-step (I'm not that fluent in cars yet) in hooking up a direct connection to my car's stereo system.

Thanks!!
Old 08-01-06, 03:08 AM
AZ-GS300
Lead Lap

quality of the tape adapter is slightly better than an FM modulator.

Not sure if there is an adapter that you can plug and play into the unit, but my guess is there isn't
Old 08-01-06, 09:28 PM
persia8190
Driver School Candidate

Yea, but unfortunately my casette player is broken. I need to know of a way to directly connect the MP3 to the stereo system. I heard of something that requires a PIE connector and RCA wires.. dunno.. that's why I'm asking for help.
Old 08-01-06, 09:36 PM
Tranceman
Rookie

well i did this to my 93 es300 and it works... pretty well. i first burned a cd of silence. then i basically found the wires that run from the cd player to the stereo and tapped in there. i took an rca male stereo to left/right connections. i split those up and physically tapped into the lines where the incoming cd player signal would come in with electrical tape (if i could go back and do it again i'd solder it). so now i am able to play the cd of silence and get nothing but since i have my ipod hooked up to the tapped in part it plays that. it's a bit quiet so i have to pump the volume but it works pretty well. i'm sure the volume has to do with the signal from the ipod isn't the right "strength", for lack of better words. but it works pretty well. someone might recommend something like a line level converter that might make the signal better but i'm not an audio expert. i went to the lexus dealership and had them print out the stereo wiring diagrams which i followed and was able to do this - however i believe they are available online or even on these forums.