Sponsored by:

audio system installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-06, 09:25 PM
joezhou
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default audio system installation

I have a 1993 SC400, and want to install a new stereo. Just the head unit, no speakers or anything. It's the premium sound system, factory default stuff, with the cd player in the back. From what I understand, the sound system has an amplifier in it, and when i asked the people at best buy, they said that they needed to rewire the car, bypassing the amp. Is it possible to take out the amp and just wire the speakers directly to a new stereo head unit? Does it require new wires, or can i use the old existing ones?
Anyone info on this would be much appreciated. I'm a little confused as to how this sound system works. Thanks.
Old 07-31-06, 10:16 PM
Tranceman
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

from what i know and i'm by far no expert i believe it goes like this - at least it does on my es300 93'. from the headunit it goes to an amp under the passenger seat(yours might be there or the glove box perhaps idk really), where it amplifies the signal and where all the speakers are plugged into. however if you're getting a new head unit, many head units come with the amp built in. so if u just put it where your current head unit is you'll have amp #1 sending out a high level output to an amp that's expecting a low level input which is a no no. hence i believe you need to either bypass the factory amp or the new amp. that's all i can provide you with info on this subject.