Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

DVD Volume for Alpine IVA-D310. Need help please!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-06, 09:16 AM
maximussp
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DVD Volume for Alpine IVA-D310. Need help please!!

Hey guys,
I have a Alpine IVA-d310 in my car and I enjoy it very much. I have one issue with it and it's the DVD volume. When I play CDs the volume is loud and perfect. But when I try to play DVDs the volume is much lower and I have to put the volume all the way up just to hear the dvd. MP3s are also a bit quieter then the CD volume. I talked to the Alpine tech and he mentioned that I should buy a Mulimedia Manager PXA-H701 which costs around $500. I really don't want to spend another $500 on this and was hopeing some of you guys could have a solution to my problem. Any advice or suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

PXA-H701

IVA-D310

-Kenji
Old 08-22-06, 11:13 AM
Trashed
Driver

i have heard of this before alpine always makes their product so u need an adapter so they get more money
Old 08-22-06, 11:24 AM
maximussp
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Trashed
i have heard of this before alpine always makes their product so u need an adapter so they get more money

Thats what I thought but I got the D310 for such a great price I wouldn't mind getting the adapter. But I would like to AVOID buying anyhting else. I talked to another Alpine Tech and he mentioned that even with the adaptor, the dvd might still be low in volume. There has to be a way to make the volume louder~!

-Kenji
Old 08-22-06, 05:54 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's low.........that's just how it is. Say thank you to Alpine for making units with such crappy outputs
Old 08-23-06, 03:05 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The difference in outputs between CDs and DVDs and even the radio is just the way the DVDs are mixed and the way the output gain structure is desgined. I have the PXA-H700 connected to my D310 and the reason why it works is because it has full 5.1 DD/DTS and you can independently set the output level for each channel. Also, if you use the Fiber Optic output from the headunit into the Fiber Optic input on the H700 (Or H701 as it is known as now) you can raise the digital input signal. Anyway, it is not the Alpine as DVDs play softer in some other brands of DVD headunits I've tried when played in 2 channel stereo mode. DVDs were mean to play in multichannel and they are mixed for dynamic range, unlike compressed CD's.
Old 08-23-06, 02:18 PM
maximussp
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
The difference in outputs between CDs and DVDs and even the radio is just the way the DVDs are mixed and the way the output gain structure is desgined. I have the PXA-H700 connected to my D310 and the reason why it works is because it has full 5.1 DD/DTS and you can independently set the output level for each channel. Also, if you use the Fiber Optic output from the headunit into the Fiber Optic input on the H700 (Or H701 as it is known as now) you can raise the digital input signal. Anyway, it is not the Alpine as DVDs play softer in some other brands of DVD headunits I've tried when played in 2 channel stereo mode. DVDs were mean to play in multichannel and they are mixed for dynamic range, unlike compressed CD's.

So what do you recomend? I really want to enjoy watching dvds and not always have to worry about the volume. I played with the A-Proc, X cross and somehow managed to get the volume louder. But I don't want to damage my audio equipment with the wrong settings. Can you give me some advice?

-Kenji
Old 08-23-06, 02:50 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly, I love my Alpine PXA-H700. If you don't know the PXA-H701 is the same thing minus the DIN wired remote control unit. They used to sell it as one package before under H700. Now you can but the brain and the remote unit seperately and thus now called H701. Anyway, The PXA-H701 does everything. Time alignment, either graphic or parametric EQ (I use the parametric EQ), x-over, phase alignment. On the Dolby Digital/DTS side it basically does everyhing a good home surround proccessor does. You can set the level of each channel two front 1, two front 2, rear, sub, and center channel. Obviously you don't have to run it in full 5.1, but the level setting as well as the incoming digital signal level can be set with either 5.1 or in stereo mode. You can use the Ai-Net for all your analogue signals like the radio, and use the fiber optic for the DVD/CDs. Very easy to get a noise free system that way. The PXA can be fully copntrolled via the D310, altough it is a bit of a slow proccess because you have to go through all the touch screen menus. If you opt for the wired DIN controller as well, you can set everything up from there as well as still use the controls through thge D310 if you want. Plus if you have a 2DIN opening it makes for a nice fit under the D310. All said and done, if you run an Alpine headunit I'd definately go the PXA- H701 route. It makes for a great combo.
Old 08-27-06, 07:15 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Im glad someone replied with a real answer. I also have the IVA-D310. It all depends on the source. Some MP3's/DVD's are recorded lower than others so you will experience this while retail audio cd's will not have this problem. You will probably notice it on the radio too. I never play the radio so Im just getting based on the signal. There is a program, mp3gain I think, that you can bump up the db of songs if you wish. Just be careful and take note if the mp3 is already maxed out.

Last edited by Lexbox; 08-27-06 at 07:18 PM.