Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Idea for car stereo, partial install already done...

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-06, 02:58 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Idea for car stereo, partial install already done...

Just finished 85% of it today... sorry no pics yet, but, here's what I'm doing:

It's a little unconventional, but I had to try it...

most of the system is normal, I have a Kicker 350.4 4 channel amp, front two channels going to front separates (stock for now, but Infinity Kappa 50.7's are in the way) and the rear two channels of the amp bridged for a single JL 13w1v2 in a ported box...

here's the odd part - the source unit... I am going to be using an Iriver PMP-120 built into the dash, with a 1/2 din Clarion 7 band EQ providing volume control and a pre-amp line driver (7 volts)

Right now, I have everything installed except the housing for the Iriver... Installing the 1/2 din Clarion unit turned out to be exceptionally easy... the bezel was a little wide, easily trimmed with a dremel, but I used the stock radio supports with new holes drilled in it, and it worked beautifully...

also, sound is amazing from the front little speakers - they handle the power nicely (who knows for how long, hope the infinity's show up soon)...

right now, as a source, I just have my little 1gb Creative MP3 player hooked up, I can't wait to get the Iriver in there... best part about all this, is cost...

The Iriver, with it's 3.8" lcd screen, and 20 gb hard drive, only cost me $200 shipped off ebay, and the Clarion EQ $65... it's like buying a in-car mp3/hard disk/lcd screen player for $265 plus a little fabrication to build a holder for the lcd screen...

I'll post pics when it's done, I just wanted to brag a little about what I accomplished today...

one more quick note - anyone have problems with the lights flickering with the beat of the turn signal when sitting at idle??? I am going to add a 1/4 farad cap back there to keep mine from doing so...
Old 08-24-06, 05:12 AM
chingpo05
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds great! keep us posted with pics and good luck
Old 08-24-06, 06:41 AM
hemogoblin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds interesting. I have my iPod connected to my Alpine headunit via RCA/Mini-jack. Soon enough I may have my radio are re-done and im thinking about how I can get the iPod (wiht a headunit, with some Gauges) to just stand on something..... if that makes sense. Keep us posted, your install could give me some ideas.
Old 08-24-06, 07:06 AM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

sounds cool

caps are a poor 'patch'. upgrade the alt./battery or get another battery.

My SC has a harddrive based pmp as its main source as well. I dont listen to the radio, so it works fine for me. I also have a bat-cap to help out with my stereo. Look into them if you're running a high powered stereo system. They're small, lightweight and pack a major punch!
Old 08-24-06, 05:24 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by Emerald
sounds cool

caps are a poor 'patch'. upgrade the alt./battery or get another battery.

My SC has a harddrive based pmp as its main source as well. I dont listen to the radio, so it works fine for me. I also have a bat-cap to help out with my stereo. Look into them if you're running a high powered stereo system. They're small, lightweight and pack a major punch!
It's only when the turn signal is on, and is only noticeable in the lighting of the equalizer... there is no corresponding difference in sound, meaning it's a localized problem, it probably draws more current (7 volt pre-outs) than the factory unit did, so, adding a small capacitor in the local area will fix my problem for good - I had a similar issue with a 3000GT, and used the same solution... the amp is only 350 watts, and the battery is new...

the Iriver I will be using has built in fm-radio, so I get the best of both worlds...

So, now, update:

I decided against the Infinity Kappa's and Installed some Eclipse Point Source 5.25's (they were cheaper, readily available, and I liked the way they sounded in a friends car...) Quick note - easiest installation I've ever done when changing speaker diameter - 5 minutes with a dremel, some longer screws, and some silicone and all was good... I separated the tweeter from the mid (they are built to have this capability), and the tweeter mounts with the same hardware the stock tweeter did - talk about easy... I also didn't have to replace any wiring, and 75% of the stock connectors actually worked properly with the Eclipse stuff...

I will have prelim pictures later tonight / tomorrow at the latest...
Old 08-25-06, 08:23 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Ok, here are the pictures from the midbass / tweeter install, as well as the opening for the iriver and the Clarion EQ already mounted:

here's the back of the Eclipse tweeter, sorry it's blurry, but you can see there is a screw directly in the middle of it - this mounts directly to the factory tweeter bracket:

the eclipse tweeter attached to the factory bracket, no modification needed:

here's a pic of the Eclipse midbass and crossover mounted inside the factory front cover:

I had to dremel out a slightly larger hole to make it fit from a stock 4" opening - once done, I used silicone sealant to ensure the mid was sealed in there nicely - I used bolts instead of screws in this instance - I was worried about the threading of the screws pulling out of the plastic housing:

the midbass back in the door, with the tweeter cover already installed:

a shot with the door panel back on - I am in the middle of converting my brown/tan to black and tan interior:

And a shot of the steering wheel (was originally brown, wrapped in leather) and to the right, the opening reserved for the Iriver, with the 1/2 din clarion EQ just below it...

I'll have more pictures when completed...

one other note, I was able to use mostly stock wiring, for a clean, stockish appearance on the outside... I'm not about competing or anything, and the stock wiring seriously simplifies everything...