Sponsored by:

help w/ installing kenwood kna-g510 gps

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-06, 05:58 PM
CleanCL
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help w/ installing kenwood kna-g510 gps

I have the kenwood ddx-7017 and purchased the plug-in GPS unit. there's a couple wires i need to connect and wanted to know a few things...
Ground (Black)
Battery 12v (Red)
Ignition 12v (Yellow)
Parking Brake Sensor (Green)

Ground is easy.

Red/Yellow, can i just tap the same red/yellow on the radio wire harness? I assume it's the same thing as battery and ignition.

Parking brake sensor, can i just ground this wire out? There's a speed sensor wire on the kenwood unit so that it won't play dvds while in motion, but i just grounded that out and now it plays all the time. I figure the parking brake sensor is the same.

Thanks in advance.

PS. where should i mount the antenna? I was going to put it on the rear window but i have 5% tint, will that matter?
Old 08-29-06, 06:13 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by jtucci
I have the kenwood ddx-7017 and purchased the plug-in GPS unit. there's a couple wires i need to connect and wanted to know a few things...
Ground (Black)
Battery 12v (Red)
Ignition 12v (Yellow)
Parking Brake Sensor (Green)

Ground is easy.

Red/Yellow, can i just tap the same red/yellow on the radio wire harness? I assume it's the same thing as battery and ignition.

Parking brake sensor, can i just ground this wire out? There's a speed sensor wire on the kenwood unit so that it won't play dvds while in motion, but i just grounded that out and now it plays all the time. I figure the parking brake sensor is the same.

Thanks in advance.

PS. where should i mount the antenna? I was going to put it on the rear window but i have 5% tint, will that matter?
You can use the same red/yellow wires that the radio does as long as those are the only two devices on the line because you dont want to max out the line. You probably can just ground the wire out for the parking brake. If the tint is metal based then mounting the antenna on the rear window might experience some containment of the signal. Give it a shot and see what happens.
Old 08-29-06, 07:16 PM
CleanCL
Lead Lap

thanks.

yes, only my headunit is hooked up to the wires, and the headunit is double fused. also the gps unit has fuses on both the red/yellow wires.

i ended up mounting it on the front windshield which also has tint strip, but not the mesh like the rear. i figured this was the easiest route and since it's in a window it should be getting signals fine.

i'll report back results, thanks again.
Old 08-29-06, 10:40 PM
CleanCL
Lead Lap

for some reason the 'navigation' button is still dimmed out on the unit.

i grounded the parking brake and ground wire to chassis.

hooked up red/yellow to my red/yellow on radio harness. maybe i'll put the yellow to a straight ignition source. the red should be 12v so i don't think that's the problem.
Old 01-15-08, 08:30 AM
mick_foley
Pole Position

Did you ever fix this issue? In my experience with that unit, I didn't hook up the parking brake wire at all and everything worked perfectly.
Old 01-21-08, 10:17 AM
CleanCL
Lead Lap

yes. it wasn't the wiring. there were a few settings that needed to be changed on the unit to enable the nav. :noob: