Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Looking for a good set of components...

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-06, 08:15 AM
Durrr
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a good set of components...

to match up to my amp.

I got a SMX6600- 6 channel amp with these specs

130 watts x 6 @ 2 ohms (2 stereo, 2 mono)
100 watts x 6 @ 4 ohms (2 stereo, 2 mono)
THD: 0.04%
S/N Ratio: >100dB (+/-3dB)
Frequency Response: 1 watt @ 4 ohm: 10Hz - 25KHz (+/-3dB)
Full Variable HP/LP X-over (50Hz- 250Hz)
Bass Boost Control
Hybrid digital sound producing mechanism (Class HD Power Supply)
Buffered Line Outputs
4 high pass channels + 2 sub channels
2 ohm stereo stable
4 way thermal, short, overload, and DC protection

and it needs to be able to be modified to fit into SC400 front baffles.

The problem I'm having is that I've found 5.25 components, but their power ratings are either way too high, or way too low for the amplifiers output. At the same time, I'm also looking for a good set of 4" coaxials for the rear.

Thanks!
Old 09-10-06, 10:20 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I wouldn't shop for speakers based on their handling capability. Do you really listen to 100 watts per channel, per speakers continously? That's kinda loud...

Percy
Old 09-10-06, 01:32 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Focal 130 V2 should do just fine with that setup

i'm running those in my car and they sound great

also for the rears, take out the black housing and drop a 5.25 into the deck with some dynamat around it. it will sound much better than the 4"
Old 09-10-06, 04:48 PM
Durrr
Lead Lap

great thanks or the tip

I've always just tried to match up RMS ratings to be on the safe side, and usually results are pretty good.
Old 09-10-06, 06:28 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

from looking at that amp, i have some doubts about the numbers.

anyways, the focals will do just fine.
Old 09-11-06, 11:59 AM
Durrr
Lead Lap

here's a link to their product list. I haven't heard anything bad about them, so figured I'd give it a shot

http://www.swissaudioinc.com/pages/product.html
Old 09-11-06, 12:40 PM
Percy

The amp doesn't mention whether or not it's class D, Class AB, etc. If it's a traditional class AB amp, it's a bit on the small side for the wattage numbers. Plus they are not saying if the wattage numbers are PEAK or CONTINOUS. And at what voltage rating they're using.

Some manufacturers will boast a higher number from a 14.4 volt source (Alpine does this) but they also give the 12 volt number as well. In their advertising, they usually hype the larger number for obvious reasons.

Swiss audio has some lightly dotted info - just enough to make it sound good, no pun intended. But a few things bug me.

1. As already mentioned, the power rating.

2. THD 0.04%. WELL, that's a good looking number, but they didn't tell you at WHICH POINT they measured the number. Most manufacturers will usually give you the 1khz number, which is the LOWEST in the spectrum. Other companies, like McIntosh, give you the whole spec, without anything to hide. For McIntosh, they will list it is "0.005 percent distortion from 20-20khz, at below rated power". They're telling you that from basically 250 milliwatts up to the power rating, the highest level of distortion that you will see ANYWHERE in the audio band is 0.005 percent. Other companies will just give you the lowest number and expect you to be happy with it.

3. S/N Ratio > 100 dB. Ok...another fine number but without the really descriptive "how they got it" stuff. Now if they said S/N Ratio, A Weighted, from 20-20khz is > 100 dB, then you've got something to be very happy about. My guess is that they just threw out the 1khz point number.

4. Frequency Response. 1 watt at 4 ohms, 10-30khz. That's a very unusual way of measuring frequency response. Most would just say a frequency response of 20-20khz and that's it. McIntosh measures it as 20-20khz, +0, -0.25 dBA. I do believe their input power is 250 millivolts, or 1/4 of a volt. From +0 to -3dB Mc is rated for 10 to 50khz. Basically it means that if they're graphing the frequency response, the curve that is plotted will be pretty much flat throughout the band. Other companies will not advertise this due to the numbers.

Why am I picking on the Mc amp? They seem to be the only manufacturer that I know of that will tell ALL the numbers involved and not blind side the consumer. They also make a good reference for others to follow by instead of market hype/speak.

Haven't heard anything of Swiss Amps though. Not around long enough yet.

Percy
Old 09-11-06, 04:37 PM
Durrr
Lead Lap

I'll give a review shortly enough of it then
Old 09-11-06, 10:36 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Percy
Why am I picking on the Mc amp? They seem to be the only manufacturer that I know of that will tell ALL the numbers involved and not blind side the consumer. They also make a good reference for others to follow by instead of market hype/speak.
Mc makes some great stuff.

i like the JL amps to because what you see is what you get, no bs "PEAK" power ratings
Old 09-12-06, 09:50 AM
Percy

Hmmm...the JL specs look good too. Pretty beefy looking for class D amps.

Percy
Old 09-12-06, 06:16 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

one of the very few "what you see is what you get" power rating amps out there.

we're throwing around the idea of doing a JL car at the shop it's got me all excited
Old 09-22-06, 02:18 PM
Durrr
Lead Lap

Here's what I ended up picking up for speakers. I'll be writing a review of the speaker/amp/headunit combination.

Front : Infinity Kappa 50.7cs
2-ohm impedance
5-1/4" Plus One+ woven-glass-fiber woofer with hi-roll rubber surround
1" M.M.D. dome tweeter with multiple mounting options
Starfish™ mounting bracket for easier tweeter installation in factory locations
2-way external crossover network (18 dB/octave, 3,500 Hz high- and low-pass) with adjustable tweeter attenuation settings power range: 2-85 watts RMS (255 watts peak power)
frequency response: 55-25,000 Hz
sensitivity: 94 dB
top-mount depth: 2-1/16"

Rear : Infinity Kappa 52.7i
2-way 5-1/4" speakers (pair)
2-ohm impedance
Plus One woven-glass-fiber woofer cone with rubber surround
rotating UniPivot M.M.D. dome tweeter
computer-optimized outboard crossovers with tweeter level control
power range: 2-55 watts RMS (165 watts peak power)
requency response: 55-25,000 Hz
sensitivity: 94 dB
top-mount depth: 2"

Subwoofer : Kappa Perfect 10DVQ
Power Handling, RMS: 400 Watts
Power Handling, Peak: 1600 Watts
Sensitivity: 90dB
Frequency Response (±3dB): 25Hz - 400Hz
Mounting Depth: 6-1/2"
Impedance: 2 or 8 Ohms depending on wiring

(Going to be using in free air)

and last but not least, AVIC-D1 head unit.

I'll take pictures along the way. Going to try and replicate the re-done Nak faceplate done with bondo and a Dremel
Old 09-22-06, 03:58 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The Infinity's are good price/performance - you should be happy with them.
Old 09-24-06, 09:06 AM
Durrr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Percy
The amp doesn't mention whether or not it's class D, Class AB, etc. If it's a traditional class AB amp, it's a bit on the small side for the wattage numbers. Plus they are not saying if the wattage numbers are PEAK or CONTINOUS. And at what voltage rating they're using.

Some manufacturers will boast a higher number from a 14.4 volt source (Alpine does this) but they also give the 12 volt number as well. In their advertising, they usually hype the larger number for obvious reasons.

Swiss audio has some lightly dotted info - just enough to make it sound good, no pun intended. But a few things bug me.

1. As already mentioned, the power rating.

2. THD 0.04%. WELL, that's a good looking number, but they didn't tell you at WHICH POINT they measured the number. Most manufacturers will usually give you the 1khz number, which is the LOWEST in the spectrum. Other companies, like McIntosh, give you the whole spec, without anything to hide. For McIntosh, they will list it is "0.005 percent distortion from 20-20khz, at below rated power". They're telling you that from basically 250 milliwatts up to the power rating, the highest level of distortion that you will see ANYWHERE in the audio band is 0.005 percent. Other companies will just give you the lowest number and expect you to be happy with it.

3. S/N Ratio > 100 dB. Ok...another fine number but without the really descriptive "how they got it" stuff. Now if they said S/N Ratio, A Weighted, from 20-20khz is > 100 dB, then you've got something to be very happy about. My guess is that they just threw out the 1khz point number.

4. Frequency Response. 1 watt at 4 ohms, 10-30khz. That's a very unusual way of measuring frequency response. Most would just say a frequency response of 20-20khz and that's it. McIntosh measures it as 20-20khz, +0, -0.25 dBA. I do believe their input power is 250 millivolts, or 1/4 of a volt. From +0 to -3dB Mc is rated for 10 to 50khz. Basically it means that if they're graphing the frequency response, the curve that is plotted will be pretty much flat throughout the band. Other companies will not advertise this due to the numbers.

Haven't heard anything of Swiss Amps though. Not around long enough yet.

Percy
By the way, its RMS and its a class AB amplifier for clarification. The ratings were tested at 13.8 volts
Old 09-24-06, 09:43 AM
Durrr
Lead Lap

Default Here are the pictures of the amplifier

I'm worried about this wiring harness being able to handle the rated RMS output... tell me what you think of it

130 W x 6 @ 2ohms RMS
100 W x 6 @ 4ohms RMS

Quick Reply: Looking for a good set of components...