Sponsored by:

System Pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-01, 01:36 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Since I'm too stupid with this computer, nor do I want to take up alot of space in the Gallery, my friend is using my GS in his audio shop website which he just got up. This is the shop where I do most of my serious work, with my driveway being the other, right, Percy? If anyone's interested ( these R the same pics as on the old CL but I know we have alot of new members ), try www.aceaudio.net & click on the "Custom Installations" link.
Old 03-27-01, 05:18 PM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Very nice Gene!

Did you run into any problems with the kick panels on the drivers side and the emergency brake? I am going to do kicks in my GS, when I can find the right one for sale, so I'd be interested in knowing if you had any problems.
Thanks,
Eric
Old 03-27-01, 08:10 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Gene,

Driveway...Pizza...Pepsi...Fluke 867B. (The last one is used for troubleshooting!) Anyways, those pics look VERY familiar! Still...just drop in some Dyn's! You'll be grinning after the installation and audition. Just don't let the wife catch you with the pocketbook....

Give the Focals to one of your kids. They might learn a thing or two about SQ.

Percy
Old 03-28-01, 03:53 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Red face Kicks

Eric - I figure I have 3 choices about the driver's side kick. #1 - leave it as it is & don't use the brake ( doesn't look too good & the brake isn't functional ). #2 - remove the brake pedal ( again, no emergency brake ). Or #3 - remove the pedal; shorten it by cutting a few inches out of it & then reinstalling. This is my first choice but as I'm looking into selling the car, just gonna leave alone for now.:eek:
Percy - My kids can't SPELL SQ, much less know what it's about! The youngest one's already looking into about 4-6 15" woofers for his Blazer - OUCH!!:eek:
Old 03-28-01, 07:32 PM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Question

Hey Gene, thanks for the reply. When you say "leave it as it is & don't use the brake ( doesn't look too good & the brake isn't functional)" do you mean you made the drivers side panel differently than the passengers? I think the passengers looks sweet! Also, are you really considering selling your GS? If so, I am in the market for one. If you could let me know what kind of miles it has, what color interior (some of the pix looked gray, and some looked tan), price, etc... I might be interested. I'd assume you would be removing the stereo equipment, but how about the LSD, sways... If you'd prefer to answer these questions be email, you can reach me at eirvin@mindspring.com.
TIA,
Eric
Old 03-28-01, 07:41 PM
Percy

Default Re: Kicks

Originally posted by Mean Gene
Eric - I figure I have 3 choices about the driver's side kick. #1 - leave it as it is & don't use the brake ( doesn't look too good & the brake isn't functional ). #2 - remove the brake pedal ( again, no emergency brake ). Or #3 - remove the pedal; shorten it by cutting a few inches out of it & then reinstalling. This is my first choice but as I'm looking into selling the car, just gonna leave alone for now.:eek:
Percy - My kids can't SPELL SQ, much less know what it's about! The youngest one's already looking into about 4-6 15" woofers for his Blazer - OUCH!!:eek:
Gene,

That little Honda must weigh alot from all those subs! 6 15's? Holy $&@^@!!!! If they keep it up, I guarantee they won't be able to feel any pain...!!!

Percy
Old 03-28-01, 08:14 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Angry More Bass!!

P - Yep, the little Civic just wasn't booming enough with 4 - 15's??!! So now he's gotten a better job ( thanks to me - DUH! ) & he wants to pull that stuff out & cram a sealed box with 6 - 15's into the back of his fiance's Blazer!! Of course, he wants me to help ( translate that into "Do it for him!!" ) with the box & wiring. I asked him about a front stage & he's gonna use some 4x10 coaxial plates in the dash & maybe a 5.25" mid in the front doors!!??:eek: Talk about "Boom-Hiss!! At least I got him outta my house with this job ( he's 21 - about time! ) but now his Mom & fiance' will shoot me because he's putting all his $ into the truck. What's a Dad to do? Ah, the joys of children!!!!!
Old 03-28-01, 08:40 PM
Percy

Sneak a 30 amp inline fuse within the wiring somewhere. That way he'll ALWAYS blow out the system if it gets any louder than 80db. Second thought...make that an automatic resetting fuse. It'll drive him nuts!!!! Just hide these buggers all over the place. Tell him it's for better bass or maybe a noise filter. Well...it is a filter of sorts....just knocks out loud noise of any type. (EVIL GRIN) >)

Percy
Old 03-28-01, 09:30 PM
ap0718
Lead Lap

Hello,
I am planning on putting tv's in my gs400. I have the factory Pioneer system right now, without the navigation. I was wondering what type of Headunit that you have? Do you still have your factory speakers in the car or are they replaced? If there are still the factory, did you have any problems with the speakers in reference to the amp of the headunit? If you have replaced the speakers, what kind and sizes do you have? Also, was there any problems taking out the factory headunit? I know you had the shop install all of the equipment, but if you can supply any information to me, that would be great.

I want to put 3 tv's in the car, one up front and 2 in the headrest. Can you give me some suggestions on what I can do with my Factory Pioneer setup? What TV would best fit there? Should I go for a 7 inch widescreen, or a Kenwood or Eclipse with a DVD player or in-dash cd changer? Will I have to get a new CD changer or can I keep my original? If I decide to get a new headunit, will I have to get a seperate amp for my factory speakers or will it be ok with the headunit swap? Also, can someone tell me the biggest size screens that I can fit in the rear headrest? I also want to put a Playstation2 in the car, so that will eliminate my need for the DVD player? What can you suggest I put underneath the in-dash TV so I can fill that gap, if there is no need for a DVD player beacuse of the PS2? Any suggestions or pics would be great!!! I appreciate the help.

I know it's a lot of questions, but please reply at your earliest convenience.

Thanks for your time,

Ap0718
98 GS400--Cinnabar Pearl--Pioneer--20x8.5 F, 20x10 R Chrome Lowenhart LD1's--Nitto NT-555's 245/35 F, 275/30 R---H&R 1.4 inch drop
Old 03-28-01, 10:56 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Cool Some Answers

AP - First of all, I did the work on my GS myself. I used a empty bay at my friend's shop & some of his tools but did 95% of the work myself - let another friend do the plexiglass sub enclosure. That said, I have the Alpine CVA-1005 & DVA-5200 below it in place of the same factory Pioneer unit U now have. I removed the ashtray & installed the RDAT for the Symmetry in it's place. The kicks contain 6.5" mids & 1" tweeters ( all Focal ) while the front doors have a 6.5" Diamond Audio HEX woofer. The rear doors contain an 8" Diamond mid-bass. I had to change my CD changer to an Alpine CHA-S624 to interface with the Ai-Net CVA-1005. U will also need to swap out your changer if U change the head unit as I don't think the factory Pioneer will work with another brand. Don't have any experience with a PS2 but I might pick the Eclipse screen as I recall that it swivels a few degrees from side to side to allow better viewing by the passenger. All systems can be improved by changing the speakers & adding amplification, even if U don't change the head unit but that's kinda up to U & your goals/budget. If the PS2 won't play DVD's, then stick a DVD player beneath the new head unit like I did. I am in the process of installing (2) 6.5" Alpine monitors in my headrests & it's tight so I'd say those are as big as U need to go. Good luck!