Sponsored by:

Help!!how To Remove The Cd Changer

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-06, 05:31 AM
cdvmagic
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!how To Remove The Cd Changer

I have a 1994 sc400 and only my left speakers work.
I get no sound on my right front and rear and yes I checked my balance and everything.
I know it must be the amp but I heard that it's located under the cd changer and I can't get the changer out.
Will someone please tell me how to remove it?
It;s kind of tricky and I don't want to go to the Lexus dealer and pay $1000 in the new amp and labor to put it in.
And please don't try to convince me to rip the stereo out and buy an aftermarket.
Old 10-05-06, 02:03 PM
cdvmagic
Driver

I also would like to know if I can put a Nakimichi amp instead of a regular amp.
Will it work with my speakers and headunit
Old 10-05-06, 03:05 PM
AZ-GS300
Lead Lap

probably not. you'll probably have to use the same style amplifier.
Old 10-06-06, 06:54 AM
lexusaudio
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

the nak amp willm work fine. just have to move and change connector with some extra wiring from the single pioneer sub amp by the sub under the deck to the nakamichi amp. the other 2 amp connectors are plug in and play for the door and 2 deck side speakers. i have the nakamichi service manual for the headunit and amp so have all the schematics and they are completely compatible with the switch. you will also need the nak sub in place of pioneer but the door speakers are all 4 ohms.
Old 10-06-06, 02:35 PM
cdvmagic
Driver

Ok.I went to the dealer and they told me that they won't sell me the amp alone.
I have to buy a whole new stereo system and replace everything that's already working too.
A guy offered me a complete Nakimichi stereo system for $550.
It's from a 1996 sc400
Is this a good price?
Because mine is 2 years older and the amp went out so I figured the one he'll sell me will go after 2 years.
Is it easy to install the nakamichi stereo or do I have to remove harness and stuff like that to install the stereo?
I plan on keeping the speakers and I'll see if it works with the headunit but if not when I remove the head unit I want to know if I can drop the new one in without doing some extra work like those you do when istalling an aftermarket system
Old 10-07-06, 05:17 PM
mobilyte
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check the used part dealers at www.car-part.com, i found plenty of amps for the 94 SC pioneer system for under $100.

i'd suggest you test with a multimeter to make sure a signal is getting to the amp from the headunit before you blindly start changing parts. better to be sure which part is not working properly, otherwise you're just wasting your $. testing procedures can be found in the factory service manual, but unfortunately i only have the manual for my LS.
Old 10-07-06, 07:07 PM
kietlander
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

do u have a nak or pionner system? i might be selling my pionner system everything but head unit.
Old 10-09-06, 08:54 AM
cdvmagic
Driver

That;s the problem.
I need to know how I to remove the cd changer to get to the amp in the first place to do some testing but nobody seems to know that.
That;s why I bought a new Nakimichi system with everything including a cd changer.
Because the I can break my current cd changer in pieces so I can get to the amp and then replace it with the 12 cd changer.
But I want to know if the whole Nakimichi unit is plug and play or do I have to change the whole car's electrical system like you do when installing aftermarket unit.
I'm also worried about the fuse since the Nakimichi has more power I wonder if I have to get a better fuse or just leave this one.
Old 10-11-06, 07:11 PM
ddr_6
Driver School Candidate

wow yea i have the same exact problem the back and right speakers dont work but the left ones work fine but with me my amp still works and i have a 93 sc400 so if u figure out what 2 do i would really aprectiate the help because i dont kno much about wiring or electronics
Old 10-20-06, 02:53 AM
bluesharp
Driver School Candidate

Hey cdvmagic, did you ever get your stereo fixed? Was it the amplifier? Also, AZ-GS300 told you the wrong thing about the Nakamichi amplifier's compatibility. It WILL work in your standard (Premium/Pioneer) system, and all the plugs WILL fit, with the major exception of the subwoofer. The only thing that's not compatible - and this is important - is the subwoofer. The Nakamichi amplifier is 5-channel, while the Pioneer amp is 4-channel, and uses a small, separate subwoofer amp. So you'll have to get a stereo shop to help you extend the wiring to plug the subwoofer into the Nakamichi amplifier, located under the CD changer. Equally important, you cannot use the 10" subwoofer that came with your Pioneer system - you do have to replace that woofer with the Nakamichi woofer (or equivalent). The head units are also 100% compatible, as are all 6 other speakers (door and rear deck).
Old 10-20-06, 07:11 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wrong wrong wrong. This has been discussed before in the SC forum to death. The minimum you need to switch over to the SC Nakamichi system is the amp, the head unit, and the Nak subwoofer. The Pioneer head unit WILL NOT work with the Nak amp. Different signaling. No control of balance and fade and no bass. Yes, as long as your Pioneer was the premium with CD changer, the plugs all fit. The only wiring modification you'll need to do is extend the subwoofer speaker wire as you'll have to move the subwoofer connector into the trunk (Pioneer sub amp is in the rear deck, Nak is built into the amp under the CD changer). The harness itself is long enough, just take it off the rear deck and route it into the trunk with all the other wires, just cut and extend the 1 speaker cable.

If you get the Nak headunit, Nak sub, and Nak amp, you can just plug it in and go. No rewiring, messing with harnesses, no wire cutting (except for extending the 1 subwoofer speaker wire), no extra fuses required. The only thing is my pioneer speakers would clip when the amp was cold. I thought it was a power problem, but after I switched over to aftermarket speakers, I don't get it anymore, so I blame it on the cheap pioneer cones.

Since you bought a whole new Nak system, It's a lot more work since you'll have to open the center console to change headunits and remove the rear deck to replace speakers and reroute the harness.

To remove the CD changer... remove the side paneling in the trunk by the changer. There are 2 black plastic caps and 2-3 plastic rivets. remove the cardboard thing and there will be several bolts and nuts to unscrew. All pretty self explanatory if you look at it. The changer will come out with all the metal harness stuff attached to it. Unplug the harnesses (2 from the changer and I think 2 from the pioneer amp. What happens commonly is water from one of the drainage hoses leaking into that area, so fix that or else you'll just end up blowing the new amp.

If you don't want to deal with all the complications, just buy a new Pioneer amp. Pretty cheap. I'm sure people have them lying around.