AlpineF#1Status

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-01, 09:10 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default The "Zausmer" thing...

Head Unit,

The "Zausmer" thing was directed at Earl Zausmer. Back a few years ago, he had a BMW540i that had what he termed "THE" last name in sound quality automotive audio. Milbert tube amps for some of the system, Zapco amps, Sony XESZ50 head unit/controller, B&W subs, mids and silver signature tweeters. The mids and tweets were mounted in motorized pods that came up through the dash and the subs were mounted in the kick area. He had to take out alot of the firewall to mount the subs (15 inch) in there. Many competitors had HLCD's (horn loaded compression drivers) mounted in the same location and his "belief" was that in an accident that the metal would tear up your legs. Well, he eventually went the same route on the installation. Competitors commented "Gee Earl, they'll tear up your legs even better!"

His EGO is of legendary stuff. The news media didn't help either. Cover shot of BMW magazine (picture abnoxious attitude driver on top of red bimmer), made NBC news and a few other publications and media. Mind you, he wasn't a humble competitor willing to help out others. His attitude of "I AM THE GOD OF ALL AUTOMOTIVE AUDIO" got tiring really quick. Things got worse when he had a lunch with IASCA's top man and Earl literally TOLD him how to run his business. It got so far, as I've heard, that he wanted to CHANGE the rules to HIS favor. The judges got tired of this really quick and he soon fell out of favor. There was a time limit imposed that judges had to follow. Earl was known to follow the judges around like an annoying dog (no offense to the dog) well after the time limit was up, trying to plug in some last detail. He is known for talking a persons ear off, especially if he has something to gain. As Brian Morris, World Champion in a '93 Ford Probe said..."He runs around all funny and talks you to death".

My personal experience with him was suggestions to improve his system. Velodyne sub, Dyn speakers and drop the B&W stuff. Even asked some opinions on some gear. His reply was always evasive on everything and his usual replies were on how HIS car was just SOOOO much better than any other competitor out there. He just didn't want to hear about anything better and was living in some fantasy world. Systems "lesser" than his he just snubbed and didn't help out. Systems on par or better than his (ahem... ) well...let's just say he never responded.

He also had this habit of inflating the cost of the products that he used. His B&W speakers he got for the cost of postage. And he'll say "the 30k$ B&W 801 Nautilus speakers..." His Sony XESZ50 was bragged at 16k$. Fine. If you have the entire system (speakers/amps) then it runs 16k$. It's 8k$ for processor/changer/tuner alone. I confronted him on this and he never wrote back as he only has the processor/tuner/cd changer. No additional amps or their speakers.

In all the short time I've known him he's never helped anyone. More of an opportunist willing to boost his own ego for his own personal gain.

His final Email to me...
"Other thing. Car audio is a phase of life and I am getting more into computers and stock trading on line.
Besides with the condition of IASCA what is the point. How embarrassing is this. IASCA will probably have to have there finals with USAC due to no money and lack of support. They never listened to the plans I (a business person) laid out and the results were easily predictable
Just time to move on. I had a great time in car audio and it owes me
nothing.
Earl"

Earl sold his bimmer 540i after an engine recall to Brett Bauer. Brett wrote to me once saying how the electronics were starting to fail. Even Earl's website, http://www.mycarstereo.com is now a no issue.

Just take him and his situation as an example of what NOT to do. Help others through experience in a positive and morally correct manner. That in itself will have many more rewards.

If headunit is reading this...
Thanks for clearing up all the info on the F#1. You and "BG" have been great. Good luck in your relocation. BTW...I still didn't get that op amp number... !!!

Percy