Lack of bass from 8" sub...could be its just out of phase

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-06, 07:14 PM
Hubert95
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lack of bass from 8" sub...could be its just out of phase

I have a 2005 ES330 with Mark Levinson

Had an electrical engineer genious in the car today... he thought that the sub gave a good amount of base, but he feels it is out of phase with the front speakers...

The front 6 1/2" actually produce a good amount of bass. the rear 6 1/2" don't produce too much bass and the 8" sub produces some good high bass.

If you sit in the front of the car vs. sitting in the back of the car you will hear a big difference in the bass. That could mean that the sub is out of phase with the front speakers and cancels out some of the overlapping mid-bass.

We are going to try to reverse the phase of the sub and see if that works.

everybody that has complained about lack of bass in their car.. just sit in the back seat and see if there is a difference. if there is, it could be the speakers are out of phase. i will let you know what we conclude this weekend.
Old 10-13-06, 06:01 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Hubert95
I have a 2005 ES330 with Mark Levinson

Had an electrical engineer genious in the car today... he thought that the sub gave a good amount of base, but he feels it is out of phase with the front speakers...

The front 6 1/2" actually produce a good amount of bass. the rear 6 1/2" don't produce too much bass and the 8" sub produces some good high bass.

If you sit in the front of the car vs. sitting in the back of the car you will hear a big difference in the bass. That could mean that the sub is out of phase with the front speakers and cancels out some of the overlapping mid-bass.

We are going to try to reverse the phase of the sub and see if that works.

everybody that has complained about lack of bass in their car.. just sit in the back seat and see if there is a difference. if there is, it could be the speakers are out of phase. i will let you know what we conclude this weekend.
probably not... subs don't care too much about phase, unless you have more than one, then the important part is that the phase of all of them must match...

where is the sub mounted? which direction is it facing... to someone thats new to car audio, you would always think to fire it forwards... 99% of the time, you will get more output in the cabin with it firing rearwards towards the back of the car... it has to do with wavelengths and such...

unless you are talking about a factory setup, and at that point, it's just the subs overall low output... wanna see how little of a difference it is when you change phase - clip the two wires going to the sub, and swap them... my money says you don't notice a difference...
Old 02-22-10, 03:34 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

How to adjust phases to make it align. * by listening of course

http://www.avguide.com/forums/subwoofer-phase

I would delay the sub to match the front driver side. Then do all one at a time in reference to driver door. Can anyone provide me with tone to properly phase? Thanks.