Sponsored by:

question for the masters again.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-01, 10:05 AM
xsuperjoex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking question for the masters again.

MG and Percy I have a question again.. (or to anyone who can answer)

I want to know what the dis/advantages for reversing your subs meaning inside out.

Also I would like to know what the procedure is to do it. i.e. switch the positive and negative??

I think my subs are not getting enough room, do you think if I reverse them it would sound louder?

Oh and to let you guys know right now I had to revert back to 12" Punch HX2's.

Thanks a lot guys can't wait to find out!!!
Old 10-18-01, 12:43 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 2 Different Things

Joe - U mentioned two different designs in your post. If ya mean the recently common practice of mounting the woofer to where the magnet's OUTSIDE of the enclosure, IME all that does is yield a larger enclosure of interior airspace because the magnet structure is no longer taking up room inside the box. It would come in handy if U had built a box within a limited space ( like the area on that ledge of the GS trunk ) & still needed a slightly larger box. If ya notice, sub manufacturers tell U to deduct a certain amount amount of interior cubic footage due to the magnet assembly displacing airspace. If U reverse mount the woofers, then U'll actually increase the interior volume of the enclosure. The woofer's still just an air piston - remember that even in a conventional mounting, as the visible outside cone moves inward, the back side of it is also moving air ( inside the box ) as well. It also looks cool if U have something like the Focal XPert SPL woofers with the individual red magnets - VERY attractive sub, IMO but costly! By reversing the positive/negative wires, that's one of Percy's favorite trick called reversing the polarity ( or wiring out of phase ). It can give a minor time delay which can come in handy in getting all the music to the ears at the same time. Always worth a try & doesn't cost/hurt anything. Tend to work better with mids & midbass, IME but go ahead & try it with the subs!

Why'd U go back to the HX2's? Nothing wrong with them - I have them right now but have been sniffing around the new JL W7's!! :eek:
Old 10-18-01, 01:37 PM
xsuperjoex
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks MG!!

I meant the whole putting the magnet outside of the box deal...now if I do that do I have to reverse the polarity or just keep it the way it is??

Oh and I'm still looking for a kicker L7 15" I think one in a Box thats as big as the legde should be more than enough. (What do you think?)

By the way thank you very much for your reply MG I really appreciate it!!
Old 10-18-01, 04:21 PM
itzloud
Driver School Candidate

Default inverse mounting

There is no problem mounting them with their basket out. But remember as MG said it reverses phase(so wire them backwards).
It will increase the box size by the displacement of the basket and magnet.
Old 10-18-01, 08:44 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Gene,

Any dealers near you that have the W7? Sure would be nice to sort all the hype. Hey, get yourself the new McIntosh (actually 1998 model) 2x300 watt amp! The one with the autoformers! Get this... only a 0.0045 percent distortion from 20 to 20khz, full bandwidth at below rated power. And they advertise 0.005 percent in their brochures. Over 100db in channel sep numbers. Conservative as ever!

Percy
Old 10-19-01, 05:02 AM
xsuperjoex
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: inverse mounting

Originally posted by itzloud
There is no problem mounting them with their basket out. But remember as MG said it reverses phase(so wire them backwards).
It will increase the box size by the displacement of the basket and magnet.
Cool thanks!!

I'm going to try it this weekend!!
Old 10-19-01, 06:56 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Question How Many?

Joe - If it's slamming SPL U want, then stick a single 15" L7 in a ported box ( 3-6 cubic foot interior airspace enclosure ) in that area. My box on that ledge is 2.84 cubic feet & could have been slightly bigger - maybe out to the 3 foot size. Just have alot of power on the L7 - at least 250-300 wrms/voice coil as Kicker's aren't efficient ( nor are most SPL woofers ). Their specs give a range of 75-1000 wrms but I'd like to see that woofer move with only 75 watts on it!! If U'd like to squeeze a little SQ out of an L7 setup, consider two of them in a 3 foot sealed box. In a sealed design the 15" L7's require 1.5-6 cubic feet/woofer so cramming 2 of them in a 3 foot box is doable but maybe not worth the trouble nor maxing out the woofer's capabilities to make pressure. If U want to run 2 woofers, might want to step down to a pair of 12" L7's but still keep the power high. Also look into some of the deflex material that Percy's using - acts like polyfill to slow down the backwave ( makes the woofer THINK it's in a larger box ) but is a much more sonically accurate material than poly. Let us know what U do & how it works out!

Master P - Yep, my friend's shop has trained 2 of his installers at the JL required school & expects a shipment of the W7's early next month ( November ). Since Nov. 6 is my B'Day, wouldn't a pair of those make a great present!!?? I'll be there when they're unboxed - already building a temporary sealed box for them to try to see if they're up to all the hype. From the guyz I've spoken with, they will bang but WON'T be the SQ (?? ) PL woofer that JL claims. We'll see soon enough.
Old 10-19-01, 07:22 AM
Percy

Gene,

You're having another senior moment again...

Deflex CONTROLS the backwave, doesn't slow it down in any way like polyfill. No muddy sound and transients sound much better!

Good luck with the W7's...geez they look beefy!

Percy
Old 10-19-01, 07:40 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Talking DUH!!

P - Did I mention that I'm having a birthday? I THINK it'll be my 70th!!!!!
Old 10-19-01, 10:18 AM
Percy

Everybody mark down November 6th for Gene's birthday!!! Only 70?!?! Young whippersnapper....

Percy