Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Upgrade Gen 1 GS300 AM/FM/Tape to Stock CD?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-06, 09:32 AM
AkiD
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Upgrade Gen 1 GS300 AM/FM/Tape to Stock CD?

Quick question. I bought my daughter a 94 GS300. It has the stock AM/FM/Tape head unit. I'd like to try and swap it out for the optional
AM/FM/Tape/CD head unit (Pioneer). Ebay has some for sale.

Is this possible? If I buy the head unit and the in-truck CD changer, can
I just buy the appropriate harness (from where?), and swap out the old
unit, put in the new unit and run the harness to the cd changer and everything
will work?

-aki

Old 10-20-06, 10:25 AM
THE_WIRE
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Harness from Crutchfield.com
Old 10-20-06, 10:39 AM
AkiD
Rookie

so, if I get the harness and the head unit and cd changer, I'll be able to simply swap everything out? The hookups are the same? Amp?
Old 10-20-06, 09:35 PM
AZ-GS300
Lead Lap

That's to go from stock to an aftermarket unit.

For stock to stock, find wiring diagrams. Not sure if the full wiring will be there for the CD changer, but it's very likely.
Old 10-20-06, 09:41 PM
okiaristo
Pole Position

yes it fits and is a direct swap. some stock cd players dont have the cd changer control. when i bought mine it had the cass but it (the head unit)didnt work so they put a stock cd player in and it didnt run the changer. GL
Old 10-21-06, 04:36 AM
AkiD
Rookie

Ok, now I'm confused. What is the "CD changer control?". As I understand it, you have the head unit (what you see on the console), the wiring going back to the trunk and the CD unit in the trunk. What do you mean that the stock CD playere didn't run the changer? The wiring was missing? Incompatible? Does it work now? Am I still correct that as long as I find the right kind of wiring from the head unit to the the CD changer in the truck, everything else should be a direct swapout. The exisiting wiring should plug right in (including the amp and speaker wires etc)? I really need to know this is going to work before investing in buying all this stuff. Money is tight and I'd hate to find out that I need to buy some exotic llama hair braided wiring and intergalatic ramafratz bi-connector imported from Italy once a year to make this work. :-)
Old 10-21-06, 08:35 AM
okiaristo
Pole Position

the plug in the rear (stop thinking that ) that you are thinking of was not there. no spot to put the connector. the face of the radio will have the changer functions on it so it is not hard to tell the diff. everything else is the same. like i said only the plug receptical (either it is there or not) and the labels on the front are diff. just ask who you buy it from to give you a good front and back pic of the unit and it will be clear after that. Dave
Old 10-21-06, 10:25 AM
AkiD
Rookie

the plug in the rear of the head unit wasn't there? How does the unit plug in?
oh gawd my head hurts.
Old 10-21-06, 02:02 PM
kietlander
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

just look for a stock head unit with the cd changer controls on there. the stock cd changer nd everything should plug up.

edit: u will have a hard time finding all the pieces to work together. and the cable that connects the changer to the head unit.

y dont u just add an aftermarket unit?

Last edited by kietlander; 10-21-06 at 02:06 PM.
Old 10-21-06, 07:42 PM
okiaristo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AkiD
the plug in the rear of the head unit wasn't there? How does the unit plug in?
oh gawd my head hurts.
it didnt have the plug socket. like Kiet said i would just upgrade the head unit. it is a litle hassle but better outcome in the end

i just reread this post. do you have the factory changer in the trunk? if not, dont even try this. just get a MP# or IPOD ready aftermarket headunit and you will be MUCH happier
Old 10-24-06, 06:02 AM
AkiD
Rookie

thanks okiristo. I have a line on both the head unit and the trunk CD changer. So, if I decide to go that route, I *think* I'll have everything to make it happen. I also have the schematics on the CD equipped unit so the only real issue, I believe, will be if the existing amp I have will work or if I need to get that also. And of course, I'll need to fabricate some kind of harness to run from the cd changer to the head unit.

If I don't go that route and go aftermarket, anyone have any suggestions on something that will look nice, have an ipod plug in, not cost me an arm and a leg and not require three rocket scientists to install?

-aki
Old 10-26-06, 02:44 PM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

Well, I guess you decided you didnt want my stuff.
Heres my thread from when I did my stereo install (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...tereo+install).
Ebay would probably be the best place to look for something that will work with the ipod, be the cheapest anyway. But, if you wanted to keep it looking stock my stuff is still available, if your daughter lives on campus or something like that, people would probably be less likely to break into the car if it looked stock.