Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

98 GS400 /w Nav.. wiring questions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-06, 04:06 AM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
Question 98 GS400 /w Nav.. wiring questions.

Ok, so i have a 98 GS4, with Nav.. and im about to wire up my two new amps. I have a mono block sub amp (easy to wire up).. but the 4 channel amp is going to be the more difficult one. After studying the wiring diagrams, i notice that the stock deck only has 2 channels of output. Those two channels then go to the stock pioneer amp under the dash, where its then turned into 4 channels (plus the stock sub channel). Now, my plan was, to take the channels coming out of the stock amp, using line level converters, and run my RCAs to the trunk to the new Diamond amp. I would then run the four channels of speaker wire back up the front, to the stock amp, and use the existing wiring going to the stock speakers. Is this a good idea? Is there any other way to do it? I want to keep the stock NAV unit, so an aftermarket deck is out of the question. I think my idea will work fine, but im worried about excess noise, is there any way to reduce this? Besides running the RCAs away from the power wire of course. To run the sub amp, i would just take the line out from the 4 channel amp into the sub amp.. no problem. Are there any line filters out there that will help? I was planning on using a set of PAC SNI35 line level converters.. let me know if theres anything else out there that works better... Thanks guys.
Old 10-22-06, 09:51 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Does your amp have speaker-level (high) inputs? If so, there may be no need for the LLCs. If you do use LLCs, keep the adjusted level to the most the your amp will accept, to maximize signal-to-noise. Turn the amp gains all the way DOWN to accomplish this.
One other way you might consider is to use an AudioControl Four.1 EQ (I happen to have one for sale on ebay right now, but that doesn't say it is appropriate for your application.) What it can do is take one stereo pair and make front/rear balanced-differential output pairs out of it, with EQ. You would then run these to your amp.
You need to make sure that you retain the stock systems control of volume & tone, and CD changer functionality. Using the stock amp's outputs are usually the best way to do this, with the LLCs. If you do it right, you won't have noise problems.
Try the Audiolink Powerlink II LLC. Crutchfield carries it for $30. Best one I know of.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-b9YoEey...olink&i=101PL2
Old 10-23-06, 01:58 AM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Unfortunately the Diamond M3 400.4 amp that im using doesnt have high level inputs.. I have a pair of PAC SNI35 line level converters, so i guess i will use those and hope the sound is decent. Ill be using monster cable RCA's from the converters to the rear, so that should help. Would using a ground loop isolator help at all? I just want the best quality sound possible from what i have available...
Old 10-25-06, 10:51 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

You don't need a ground loop isolator unless your system HAS a noise problem like alternator whine. Make sure this is checked before the install is completely buttoned up, that way you can eliminate any noise problems without having to take the dash, etc apart again. Been there, done that.
Old 10-25-06, 08:29 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running an AudioControl line level convertor, works great..
Old 10-26-06, 12:26 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Originally Posted by rgarjr
I'm running an AudioControl line level convertor, works great..
Probably the best, but more expensive, and an active device that requires power.