Sponsored by:

Need help, AVIC D2 install

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-06, 11:04 AM
cgatch
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help, AVIC D2 install

I just purchased a Pioneer AVIC D2 and would like to ask if anybody can share the step by step installations on a 2000 GS4. I’ve read Hameed’s experiences and pointers and these will help a lot. Our main difference is he replaced a Nak HU while I have the OEM Pioneer HU/amp and planning to keep the stock amp and all the speakers. Aside from the faceplate, is there anything else I need to buy before the installations? Thanks for helping an electronics newbie.

Last edited by cgatch; 10-26-06 at 04:39 PM. Reason: to clarify
Old 10-25-06, 04:07 PM
chinkster
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i am in the process of doing the pioneer avic-d1 install in my gs400 also. i am going to be using the TOYOTA INTEGRATED AMP harness. everything should be plug and play. you can either go that route, use the amp-turn-on wire and use the factory amp to power up your factory speakers like before OR you can by-pass the factory amp and by unplugging the regular toyota plugs out of it but you will have to buy a regular toyota harness and extend the wires to the radio area and hook up the pioneer harness like that. i am planning to go the toyota integrated amp route btw so you can keep your factory sub working.
Old 10-25-06, 05:32 PM
cgatch
Rookie

Thanks for the great info I will have to go with the Toyota Integrated Amp harness being a plug and play, plus keeping the sub working will be another bonus. Any idea how much is this harness and also will this be available on any Toyota dealership? Thanks again!
Old 10-25-06, 05:51 PM
olddog
Pole Position

Default hey

Originally Posted by chinkster
i am in the process of doing the pioneer avic-d1 install in my gs400 also. i am going to be using the TOYOTA INTEGRATED AMP harness. everything should be plug and play. you can either go that route, use the amp-turn-on wire and use the factory amp to power up your factory speakers like before OR you can by-pass the factory amp and by unplugging the regular toyota plugs out of it but you will have to buy a regular toyota harness and extend the wires to the radio area and hook up the pioneer harness like that. i am planning to go the toyota integrated amp route btw so you can keep your factory sub working.
i never heard of a harness that could allow your stock amp to power your speakers and sub.
am in the process of installing an eclipse unit and i took out the amp and all and just spliced the speaker wires and connected them to the unit. i have to get an aftermarket amp to power the stock sub.
if there is an harness to keep the factory speakers and sub working through the stock amp, then that's great but its too late for me.
good luck
Old 10-25-06, 08:56 PM
chinkster
Lead Lap

hmm, actually. i just pulled my stock radio out today getting ready to do the install and it is not the right harness??? i guess it will be the REGULAR toyota harness then... not the toyota integrated amp harness.
Old 10-26-06, 02:20 PM
sbgs400
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

please post if you find a harness that actually works...
Old 10-28-06, 06:26 PM
chinkster
Lead Lap

ok, i finished the avic-d1 install in my gs400 today. it is the REGULAR toyota harness for sure. you will need to extend the wires because the toyota plugs are located on the right side behind the glove box. after you remove the glove box, you will see the factory amp which houses the two plugs. YOU WILL HAVE TO GRAB IGNITION FROM ANOTHER SOURCE BECAUSE THOSE PLUGS DOESN'T HAVE IT. i recommend grabbing it from the original plug you unplugged your factory stereo out of (thats what i did). lemme know if you need anything else. i just did the install so its still fresh in my head.
Old 10-28-06, 06:31 PM
chubb74
Driver

Chinkster do you have the part numbers to everything you used to install your system? Is your sub working with this new set up?
Old 10-28-06, 06:47 PM
chinkster
Lead Lap

nope, thats the weak part! damn sub doesn't work anymore! its cool tho, im gonna be install a 5 channel amp within the next week or two.
Old 10-28-06, 06:55 PM
sbgs400
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

chinkster so you used this harness to bypass the amp and hook your avic up directly to the speakers? where did you get the harness from?
Old 10-28-06, 07:00 PM
chinkster
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chubb74
Chinkster do you have the part numbers to everything you used to install your system? Is your sub working with this new set up?
there is no part numbers. everything is aftermarket. if you still haven't bought the install kit yet, i recommend buying the OEM TOYOTA/LEXUS one from L-Tunedparts.com. i was dumb and bought an American International install kit and the fitment is not quite right and now i have to fork out another $45 to buy the perfect fitting kit. i should have did it right the first time! as for the toyota harness, just go to circuit city or best buy and they will have it.
Old 10-28-06, 07:31 PM
chubb74
Driver

Did you try to wire the sub directly to the unit?
Old 10-28-06, 07:31 PM
chubb74
Driver

How does this new hu sound compared to the stock unit?
Old 10-29-06, 04:03 PM
chinkster
Lead Lap

it really sounds crappy now that the factory sub is gone. but when i install a 5 channel ppi amp and drop in a 10 inch sub in the factory spot it should be ggrreeaatt!
Old 10-29-06, 04:57 PM
cgatch
Rookie

That's really a bummer for not being able to fire up the factory sub. I thought all along that we can use the navi HU as the pre-amp then connect to the stock amp and we're good to go. Anyway thanks for sharing your experience. How much time did it take you to do this? Thanks again

Quick Reply: Need help, AVIC D2 install