Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

is it the battery or wrong connection.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-06, 07:01 PM
olddog
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default is it the battery or wrong connection.

I need your input guys.I am in the process of installing my eclipse headunit. I installed all the wires using info gathered from on here and I double checked the connections. I hooked the unit to test it out and it worked fine running on igntion(car was not on).after about 20mins the unit started to blink and I knew the battery was dying. ok, I jumped the battery the next day and worked the car till the battery was charged up and it worked fine for the rest of the night(i turned off and it started up again when I turned it on)this was on friday night. Now today I go to start the car(i have not been driving it cos of install) and the battery is TOTALLY dead. only the security had enough power to blink weakly. now I have not even connected the power wire for the amp and the unit wires are all connected not not plugged into the unit which is sitting inside my house.I made sure I connected the 12v power wire for the unit and changer are hooked onto the right wire color and it works fine.
Could it be the wires are pulling power or my connection is somehow wrong or my battery is weak or my battery is just not charged enough after the first time it died?(before beginning the install, I have NEVER had my battery die before). please input guys.

Last edited by olddog; 10-29-06 at 07:10 PM.
Old 10-29-06, 08:08 PM
mobilyte
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

possibly a short in your wiring that is constantly drawing power from the battery or maybe you wired the ACC lead on the headunit to the +12V wire in the car.

also, jumping the battery and driving around for a while will not charge a weak battery enough. best to use a dedicated charger to bring to fully charged state.
Old 10-29-06, 08:48 PM
olddog
Pole Position

Default hey

what is a short?
I only made sure I used one source for the 12v power to avoid different problems and the only two wires I had to connect to the 12v were the changer and unit yellow(power) wires.
I will make sure tomorrow and also check the acc.
plus I will charge the battey againa nd we will see.
Old 10-30-06, 01:28 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What mobilyte said about about charging a dead battery is correct. The alternator could take days, even weeks to fully charge a dead battery (Depending on how often and how long you drive) One day will not be enough. Odds are your battery was charged barely enough for you to restart the car that one (Maybe 2 times if you started it again that night) but by the next day it was dead again. This is normal. Another thing could be that your battery is already going bad and can't fully hold a charge.

First thing you do is tripple check your wiring to make sure you don't have a constant current draw. If that checks out, charge your battery overnight with a battery charger. If that doesn't work, take your battery to get load tested and at that time you probably will find out you need a new battery.
Old 10-30-06, 05:12 AM
olddog
Pole Position

Default hey

thanks for the input guys.
after my exams i am going to check everything.
this was my first DIY with the audio section and it went really well.i should have never tested the unit with the power running on acc(car not turned on).
i will give it a good charge and see what happens.
thanks
Old 10-31-06, 03:33 PM
AZ-GS300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a battery charger and leave the battery on the slow charger overnight.
Old 10-31-06, 04:08 PM
olddog
Pole Position

I actually used another battery and everything works fine. so am guessing I either did not charge that battery properly or its bad.I dropped it off at canadian tire for an overnight charge.
thanks guys
Old 11-02-06, 06:51 AM
olddog
Pole Position

hey'
one more thing. my battery still dies off overnight. iconnected the unit power to a 12 v and acc and ground which is normal. I also connected the cd changer to the 12v and ground. could the changer be killing the battery. should I connect the changer power to the acc instead?
thanks
Old 11-02-06, 07:43 AM
mobilyte
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes, you should connect the changer to acc power, otherwise it is constantly draining the battery.
Old 11-02-06, 07:58 AM
olddog
Pole Position

just as I thought.
thanks a lot.
I was just about to dish out 130 on a new battery.