Sponsored by:

speaker replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-06, 07:14 AM
RUDENESS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speaker replacement

whats the best replacement speakers for my 91 LS 400??? I'll be pushing a 1000w amp for just the mids and hi's I already have the bass taken care of...
Old 10-31-06, 07:17 PM
AZ-GS300
Lead Lap

1000W just for the highs? How many watts are you running for the bass?
Old 10-31-06, 08:27 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RUDENESS
whats the best replacement speakers for my 91 LS 400??? I'll be pushing a 1000w amp for just the mids and hi's I already have the bass taken care of...
That's ridiculous - it's like using an elephant to move a paper clip, or a tractor-trailer to transport a pencil. A 1000W amp is the wrong tool for the job - can be used, but a complete waste. 100-150W clean wattage is the most you would ever need. Reason is that mids and tweeters do not require anywhere near the same current to move them as a woofer does. If you were to use the current available in the 1000W amp to its max, you'd vaporize the tweeters and roast the midranges. Plus, if you were to approach this amount of current and the speakers didn't fry, they'd be so loud that you wouldn't be playing music anymore, tweets/midranges would not be linear anymore. You'd be playing buzz.
Oh, maybe I should ask - is that 1000W peak or RMS? Cheesy Sony-type specs or honest JL-type specs? 1000W amp at 50% distortion?

What are you planning for the bass amp? Something nuclear?
Old 10-31-06, 09:08 PM
RUDENESS
Pole Position

you guys are funny... i can always get a lower wattage amp im just letting you know what im working with right now. now answer my damn question and tell me what speakers I should go with......oh by the way, im gonna use the stock radio and just add a cd changer.....now, what am I doing wrong???
Old 10-31-06, 11:39 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

plenty but i'm not gonna get into that....

might not want to reflect your user name when asking for help either

on the note of hooking mids and highs, if you're bored and have some extra tweeters hangin around. Hook them up to a bass amp, it's only a few seconds but it's kinda cool ....not as cool as plugging a subwoofer into the wall though, now that's fun
Old 11-01-06, 02:34 AM
okiaristo
Pole Position

now answer my damn question and tell me what speakers I should go with......

with this type of comment , you wont get an answer... it is always good to play nice and share
you got your answer from the Engin ear. put the big amp on some subs and get a small amp for the corners. GL
Old 11-01-06, 07:00 AM
RUDENESS
Pole Position

I cant believe you guys are so damn sensitive, I"ve read way worst than what I said, now , all this back and forth is really not necessary, all I did was ask a simple question and up until now it still hasnt been answered. If you cant answer a question then dont respond to the post......what speakers should I go with for my doors?

Last edited by RUDENESS; 11-01-06 at 07:07 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-01-06, 07:53 AM
vin 78
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a billion speakers out there, and what's worse EVERYBODY HAS THEIR OWN OPINIONS on what they think are good speakers. There's about another billion threads on speaker choice and selection on CL.
So relax and try using the search option.
Or even better, go out and audition speakers at a stereo shop. What one person likes doesn't mean jack unless you like it.
Old 11-01-06, 10:46 AM
AZ-GS300
Lead Lap

Maybe you missed the point, but you won't find regular mid/tweet sets that will handle the kind of power you want to run.

Now, answer our damn question. What are you powering the subs with?

Oh, and is this 1000W amp a 2 channel or 4 channel? And who makes it?
Old 11-01-06, 05:11 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I cant believe you guys are so damn sensitive, I"ve read way worst than what I said, now , all this back and forth is really not necessary, all I did was ask a simple question and up until now it still hasnt been answered. If you cant answer a question then dont respond to the post......what speakers should I go with for my doors?
You've made it painfully obvious that your username is appropriate.
That's not how it works here. No one is obligated to provide any help at all. We don't get paid for this.
There are tons of posts on file on here regarding door speakers for GS, and subs. Please use the search engine, see what you can come up with, then check back and we can help you once you get to that point.
Provided you're reasonably polite, that is.
Old 11-01-06, 09:45 PM
RUDENESS
Pole Position

Talking

engin_ear, let me start with you, I know that no one gets paid for there info in this forum, I belong to a few forums cause of the toys I have so I understand how a forum works. and like I said in the begining I have a 91 LS 400 not a GS, all I wanted to know was what replacement speakers you guys suggest. ( thats all I wanted to know) now, lets try this one more time, I have a Crunch 1600w 2 channel pushing a 15 inch earthquake sub, and I also have a pyle 1000w 4 channel for mids and highs.........AZ-GS300 thats what im working with, you guys are the pros thats why Im here.....now let us move on...
Old 11-02-06, 04:41 PM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

both of your amps are garbage
Old 11-03-06, 07:03 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Based on the info you've given on the types/brands of your current equipment, my suggestion is to use those new top of the line speakers. KRACO.

Enjoy.