Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Stock Sub with Aftermarket Deck?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-06, 03:41 PM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stock Sub with Aftermarket Deck?

So while I don't want to go crazy on the sound upgrade on this car. I do want better sounding speakers. I already got the HK Ipod system to play through the radio, but the crappy fm sound quality just sucks. I'm pretty sure the stock speakers can play halfway decently if they just get some more power from an aftermarket deck and I can get the HK system to input through an aux-in input line instead of the FM.

SO, the question is two fold.

-Is there ANY way to still utilize the stock sub and amp when moving to an aftermarket head unit? Can maybe the output line for the sub just be crossed spliced with say a rear speaker line in order to get an audio output to the sub?

- How does the stock system sound without the stock sub, is there ANY bass output from the speakers?

- I'm thinking of just getting 2 way 5 1/4's all the way around and just crack the baffles and just mount them in.

Any help is appreciated
Old 11-01-06, 10:52 AM
AZ-GS300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tcho82
-Is there ANY way to still utilize the stock sub and amp when moving to an aftermarket head unit? Can maybe the output line for the sub just be crossed spliced with say a rear speaker line in order to get an audio output to the sub?
You'll want a seperate amp for the sub. I've yet to see a head unit that could adequately power any sub. Most decent aftermarket head units will include a set of pre-outs for sub woofers. Just get a small amp as you'll be running the rest of the speakers off the head unit and you won't want an overpowering bass in your car.
- How does the stock system sound without the stock sub, is there ANY bass output from the speakers?
I personally think my car sounds like @$$ without a sub. But I've always had a system of some sort in every car I've owned.
- I'm thinking of just getting 2 way 5 1/4's all the way around and just crack the baffles and just mount them in.
I'd personally go with 6-1/2"s if they'll fit. But that's just me.
Old 11-01-06, 11:03 AM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dont think 6.5's will fit. 5.25's are a stretch too.
Old 11-01-06, 12:23 PM
AZ-GS300
Lead Lap

Looks like you'll have to make custom baffles for the 5-1/4s, and the sticky makes it look like 6-1/2s wouldn't be a problem.
Old 11-02-06, 01:17 PM
cgatch
Rookie

Originally Posted by AZ-GS300
You'll want a seperate amp for the sub. I've yet to see a head unit that could adequately power any sub. Most decent aftermarket head units will include a set of pre-outs for sub woofers. Just get a small amp as you'll be running the rest of the speakers off the head unit and you won't want an overpowering bass in your car.
I personally think my car sounds like @$$ without a sub. But I've always had a system of some sort in every car I've owned.I'd personally go with 6-1/2"s if they'll fit. But that's just me.
Sorry for the stupid questions. I'm still confused here, isn't it that the stock sub is being powered by the stock amp? If we will just replace the stock headunit with an aftermarket, then we can still use the stock amp, can't we?Can the gurus shed some lights on this? Thanks!
Old 11-02-06, 01:48 PM
lowKut
NELOC Moderator

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the same question about aftermarket head unit and stock amp.

My 2002 GS is currently in the shop as I am getting ready to install an aftermarket navigation system (Kenwood DDX6019). I was told that the factory amp won’t work on the car once an aftermarket head unit is installed. Dose anyone know a of a way to get the factory amp working again?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-02-06, 08:13 PM
AZ-GS300
Lead Lap

I'm sure it's possible to make the factory amp work if you really want to. But why? Just buy a small mono or two channel amp for the sub. Most factory amps aren't worth a spit compared to almost any aftermarket amplifier.