Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

back up cam not showing up

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-06, 04:04 PM
blueavyz71
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No problem at all, man.. I cut off the two pins connector from a pc power supply the one with mounting fan on the box. There was one 2 pins connector wiring outside the box and one inside the box. That is the fan wiring you can get 2 pins harness from. Ask your friend or family if they have an old computer sitting around, that's where you'll find those.

Yes, I used the diagram to wire everything together. The diagram is for the front view of a plug hole behind the hu not the connector. Take as much time you can to wire it correctly.

I mentioned that my 12v cam didn't work too well, so I made a run to radio shack to get a 30amp auto relay to boost up the 6v input into 12v. Inline fuse I will need to get also just to be safe. I will keep you posted when I work on this this weekend.

Good luck!
Old 12-02-06, 09:27 PM
blueavyz71
Driver School Candidate

Default Up and running!!!

The cam works beautifully!! The rear view turns on the screen when shifting in reverse automatically or press "camera" for a full time rearview! That's the way it is supposed to work on eclipse avn5435.. Plus nightvision capability.

I decided to take a simple turn by wiring to the 12v ignition fuse from the cam with a 5 amp inline fuse. That 6v wire was bypassed. I just removed the 6v wiring from pin #2 for safety purpose. Two 20' long positive and ground wires (ground pin #4 and a wire to 12v ignition fuse.. pin #2 was eliminated) plus a 20' long rca cable with one spliced end (rca jack cut off) to connect to the modded harness (V+ pin #1 and V- pin #3).

If you want the cam to turn on anytime, idling or driving forward. You need to wire straight to the 12v source, not the back up wiring. Eclipse hu has a wire to connect to the reverse wire, which enables the screen to turn on automatically. That's the only way it will work. You won't get any power out of back up wiring if you drive forward, right?

Though I don't own a Lexus but the info here on this forum and feedbacks were invaluable!! I have learned a lot from this mods and hope my feedback will help you now and later. Thanks!!

Last edited by blueavyz71; 12-02-06 at 09:39 PM.
Old 12-02-06, 09:39 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think you need the newer disc for turning on the cam whenever.

glad to know that page went to good use
Old 12-03-06, 08:13 AM
blueavyz71
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 88supramki
i think you need the newer disc for turning on the cam whenever.

glad to know that page went to good use

Speaking of a nav map disc? I have a version 1.4 disc. The back up camera function is a separate entity from the navigation. The cam turns on automatically or manually no problem.

Any more question, feel free to ask away!
Old 12-03-06, 12:07 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

i didn't know you had 1.4

that's the newest one for the 5 series AVNs. That would give you the function of turning it on manually or having it turn on automatically.
Old 12-03-06, 01:45 PM
olddog
Pole Position

i got an avn 2454 but have a 1.4 disc. if i use your above method, am i going to experience any difference in result because mine is a 2454?
blueavyz71,so you are constantly feeding the cam 12v at all times right? so does that you don't have to wire it to a reverse switch so it detects when in reverse?
if i wire the 12v to a constant 12v source and i switch to revers, will it show up on the screen. (i already have the reverse wire from the HU connected to the reverse source).

Last edited by olddog; 12-03-06 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12-03-06, 06:37 PM
blueavyz71
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by olddog
i got an avn 2454 but have a 1.4 disc. if i use your above method, am i going to experience any difference in result because mine is a 2454?
blueavyz71,so you are constantly feeding the cam 12v at all times right? so does that you don't have to wire it to a reverse switch so it detects when in reverse?
if i wire the 12v to a constant 12v source and i switch to revers, will it show up on the screen. (i already have the reverse wire from the HU connected to the reverse source).
Not sure what your avn 2454 is lacking some features of my avn 5435. But the concept of the whole thing should be the same. It should work when you use my method. The camera is turned on whenever the ignition is turned on. Yes, that's what my HU does when I shift into reverse, the rear view display shows up automatically. If I don't want the rear view display to turn on when shifting in reverse, I can disable this by press "MANUAL" in the "SETTING" mode. That is what it is supposed to be working like Eclipse BEC camera.

On my HU, I press "SYSTEM CHECK" to see my reverse source is working by shifting into R. It should say "REVERSE ON" or "REVERSE OFF". If I don't connect the HU reverse wire to the reverse source, the HU won't be able to detect to display the rear view automatically. Does your avn 2454 have "SYSTEM CHECK"?

When I made the harness and plug it into the HU, the "CAMERA SCREEN" button showed up in order of "SETTING", "ESN", "SYSTEM CHECK". That is when the HU detects the camera harness (my homemade one! ) Your HU probably don't have the "ESN" which is a built in antitheft security. By the way, you can ground the black wire from the camera anywhere on the car frame instead of wiring into pin #4 at the 4 pins harness.

Just follow my instruction and you're all good to go! Any more question, ask away! Good luck!
Old 12-03-06, 06:40 PM
blueavyz71
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 88supramki
i didn't know you had 1.4

that's the newest one for the 5 series AVNs. That would give you the function of turning it on manually or having it turn on automatically.
Interesting, I will have to check that out when I remove the disc.
Old 12-03-06, 07:37 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

You're not going to notice it by just removing the disc, more like if you put an older version of the software in. Such as what came with the AVN2454 ver. 1.0

My unit (AVN6600) has ver. 2.0 But I talked with Eclipse and the newest version that should be run in the 5 series AVN units is the 1.4
Old 12-04-06, 01:00 PM
olddog
Pole Position

am going to do all this once i find that broken computer to steal the harness from.
thanks
Old 12-08-06, 02:39 PM
blueavyz71
Driver School Candidate

Default My work is done here!...

Picture taken in the dusk.... "CAMERA" button shows up when the hu has the camera harness in (my homemade harness
Attached Thumbnails back up cam not showing up-backup-plug-004.jpg  
Old 12-08-06, 02:40 PM
blueavyz71
Driver School Candidate

Nightvision infrared in effect... My street is completely in the dark!... Something that Eclipse BEC camera cant do...
Attached Thumbnails back up cam not showing up-backup-plug-005.jpg  
Old 12-21-06, 10:47 AM
olddog
Pole Position

hey,
success is mine.
i couldn't find the 2 pin plug you used so i used the tiny four pin from the pc fan. i shaved of the edge and split the plug into two down right throught the centre leaving me with 2 2pin harnesses which plugged into the eclipse cam hole meant for an eclipse camera.
i followed your advice on connecting the power to a constant 12v so i can use it even when not in reverse and wholla, i got picture.i did not use the ground from the unit so altogether i only used two pins from the four at the back of the eclipse. once the harness is plugged in, the camera settings feature shows up in the menu.
so i basically got a back up camera hooked to my eclipse avn by spending a total of 40 dollars(just the back up camera, harness from fan wes free from broken computer.(they have lots at any computer repair shop). nice color and it is full screen.
i am open to helping others achieve this too.(major back up cams like the eclipse and pioneer are expensive $200-250.
By the way, i have the AVN2454 and i don't think the software of the nav influences this setup.

Last edited by olddog; 12-21-06 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-02-07, 08:27 PM
blueavyz71
Driver School Candidate

Good going there! Just be sure to secure the harness so it doesn't get loose from road vibration, etc. You can probably find a two pins harness like mine out of a power supply fan if you keep on looking. My homemade harness is pretty secured in place so I didn't have to worry about that.
Old 01-03-07, 02:12 PM
olddog
Pole Position

i made sure the harness was tight in its place by pushing some thick paper on both sides making it tight. thanks for the tip