back up cam not showing up

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-06, 10:05 AM
olddog
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default back up cam not showing up

hey guys,
am trying to hook the back up cam (a/market) to my avn 2454 but it is not showing up. i connected the red wire to the reverse light and tested it for current and it is evident that there is current going through it. i then connected the black to a ground source. and then plugged the yellow single RCA which runs to the camera into the single yellow one coming from the unit(i read on CL that that is for an external monitor).
Now when i switch to reverse nothing happens. is the camera not functioning or can't the eclipse be used with an aftermarket back up camera?
what do u think?
Old 11-04-06, 10:11 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,237 Likes on 1,356 Posts

When you manually select the rear view camera does it work?

Mine never did work by putting the car in reverse (only worked manually turning it on) until I upgraded to the new version Nav software and suddenly it started working.
Old 11-04-06, 10:36 AM
olddog
Pole Position

Default hey

i believe i tried it manually(info-settings-camera-auto/manual) but nothing showed up.
and i have the 1.4 version disc which i believe is the updated disc.
do u have to do something to update the software or is it just the cd?
Old 11-04-06, 05:10 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

check my reply to your PM.

if you REALLY want it to work the way it's supposed to, i can give you the pin configuration for the Eclipse Backup Camera plug

that way you can use any backup camera you want on the eclipse unit

*Note* Using a non-eclipse backup camera on an eclipse unit will result in having to manually control it through the VTR mode, unless you know the pin config

also I would try to find a newer version of the Nav disc, as there have been quite a few changes since 2004. PM me for more details
Old 11-05-06, 07:55 AM
olddog
Pole Position

Default hey

88supramki sent u a pm.
i thought the 1.4 disc was the most recent.
if it is not. what is the most recent version of nav disc.
also since i connected the single yellow rca from the camera to the single rca in the unit labelled "monitor", should it show up since it is an aux input.
thanks guys
Old 11-05-06, 09:10 AM
AZ-GS300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did you connect power to the camera?

How did you let the head unit know the car is in reverse?
Old 11-05-06, 11:18 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by olddog
hey guys,
am trying to hook the back up cam (a/market) to my avn 2454 but it is not showing up. i connected the red wire to the reverse light and tested it for current and it is evident that there is current going through it. i then connected the black to a ground source. and then plugged the yellow single RCA which runs to the camera into the single yellow one coming from the unit(i read on CL that that is for an external monitor).
Now when i switch to reverse nothing happens. is the camera not functioning or can't the eclipse be used with an aftermarket back up camera?
what do u think?

Just re-read this... sorry I didn't catch you weren't using the eclipse camera plug. That's what you'll need to do (in addition to latest nav SW) to make it work.

I'm using an aftermarket backup camera to mine, but I'm using the Eclipse BEC 103 backup camera wiring to make it work.

You may be able to see your backup camera using the aux input options from the headunit now if you haven't tried those (it won't show up on the info, camera options you tried) but it definitely won't come on w/ reverse coming through the aux.
Old 11-05-06, 11:28 AM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

2.0 is the most recent Nav disc (AVN6600), but that's not going to have any effect on the system itself recognizing a backup camera. The newer disc does nothing to the actual system, it is only for navigation purposes.

I'll have to find the pin config at work and make a copy for you. I seem to have misplaced the one around my house.
Old 11-05-06, 11:59 AM
olddog
Pole Position

Default hey

bro,
i still don't understand what the "pin config" is . do i input it in the system or is it a plug. keep in mind i don't have the eclipse back up camera.
what do i do with the pin config
please educate a brother.
Old 11-05-06, 12:06 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

Check your PM

for everyone else, the eclipse unit has a four pin plug for the backup camera. If you happen to know which pin is looking for it's specific signal, then you could in theory take any backup camera and make it work. Just like you can take the eclipse backup camera and make it work on any other unit, IF you know the pin config

otherwise you just need to buckle down and get the BEC103, BEC104 or BEC105 cause it's the down right easiest way to do it.
Old 11-05-06, 02:18 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by 88supramki
2.0 is the most recent Nav disc (AVN6600), but that's not going to have any effect on the system itself recognizing a backup camera. The newer disc does nothing to the actual system, it is only for navigation purposes.
Maybe not in recognizing the camera, but there must have been a software change in recognizing 'reverse' and turning on the backup camera automatically. Before the new version, reverse = nothing, but afterwards it turns on automatically... absolutely no other changes in my configuration and it started working post update.
Old 11-05-06, 02:29 PM
mikal
Lexus Champion

I'll have to find the pin config at work and make a copy for you. I seem to have misplaced the one around my house.

please post it up once you get it.
Old 11-05-06, 03:04 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Maybe not in recognizing the camera, but there must have been a software change in recognizing 'reverse' and turning on the backup camera automatically. Before the new version, reverse = nothing, but afterwards it turns on automatically... absolutely no other changes in my configuration and it started working post update.
interesting. i had the 2454 for a while and in the Setting section it had the "camera mode - Auto or Manual" even with the older disc and i didn't have a backup camera.
Old 11-05-06, 06:33 PM
olddog
Pole Position

Smile hey

interesting. i had the 2454 for a while and in the Setting section it had the "camera mode - Auto or Manual" even with the older disc and i didn't have a backup camera.
without hooking up any camera ;mine shows the camera mode-auto/manual also.
hey,dave me buying the eclipse camera to chop it off for the a/market defeats the purpose of me getting the a/market camera.
I just want o make the a/market camera work without buying the eclipse camera(too expensive for me)
(quote)How did you connect power to the camera?

How did you let the head unit know the car is in reverse?
(/quote)
azgs300, I connected the power cable(red) to the reverse wire(12v) andconnected the headunit reverse wire to the reverse wire also.
that way the unit knows the car is in reverse and the camera gets power when the car shifts into reverse.
the problem is right now am not even seeing anything on the screen even when I switch to auto or manual in the camera mode.
Old 11-05-06, 08:06 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

the auto or manual will only work with the eclipse cam, or if you use the pin config to interface a non-eclipse cam into the eclipse unit

Quick Reply: back up cam not showing up