New stereo finally installed...

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-06, 03:16 AM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.
Senior Moderator

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
Default New stereo finally installed...

Well, after weeks of not being able to find the time, i finally have my new amps installed. I know it looks like crap right now, i have to clean up the wiring, and figure out what im gunna do with the trunk liner... Some details on the system.. Diamond D3 800.1 sub amp, Diamond D3 400.4 main amp, Kicker 10" L7 sub, 3 Farad Cap, Stinger wiring, Monster cable RCA's.. and on the way, two sets of Diamond D6 4.5" components. Sounds pretty awesome right now, i cant wait til the components are in. I know this system doesnt even come close to some of you guys, but im happy with it.. what do you guys think? Comments/Suggestions very much welcome...

Old 11-13-06, 03:46 AM
okiaristo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like a good start... now you should take the stock sub out to open the cabin to more sound, redo the ground to the floor (the rear deck area is suspect) and like you said, trim it out. that is the same cap i have. doesnt seem like 3 farad though. Lights still dim a little at high volumes, but i am pushing 1K watts through 3 12's. nice equipment!!!
Old 11-13-06, 04:09 AM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by okiaristo
looks like a good start... now you should take the stock sub out to open the cabin to more sound, redo the ground to the floor (the rear deck area is suspect) and like you said, trim it out. that is the same cap i have. doesnt seem like 3 farad though. Lights still dim a little at high volumes, but i am pushing 1K watts through 3 12's. nice equipment!!!
Yea, im planning on taking the stock sub out shortly.. I was going to put the ground on the floor, but i figured it would create a lump in the liner.. and i figured that all the metal in the trunk is connected anyway, so it wouldnt matter.. but i dunno.. It seems to be doing great so far.. Im only pushing 600 watts RMS to one 10... so i think the cap should be good.. for the price, it couldnt be beat. All the hard stuff is done now, just need to clean it all up... wiring in a car with stock NAV wasnt as hard as i thought though... it was actually really easy... Still retaining the factory voice on the NAV too!
Old 11-13-06, 04:34 AM
okiaristo
Pole Position

i think the factory headunit is junk..J/K, it is a great idea. you get a clean signal, stock look with some aftermarket kick. great planning and yes the you are done with the hard part. i am not familiar with the liner in the trunk and i was actually jealous that you dont have a tank right behind the rear seat anyway are youpulling the stock sub? again congrats.
Old 11-13-06, 05:25 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Looking good so far. Keep us updated on the progress
Old 11-13-06, 07:50 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

A nice carpet covered trim panel in front of the amps will go a long way toward a clean look.

PS: You might want to eliminate the use of tape to hold wires up on top, use wire ties and the stick-on wire tie holders. The glue on tape usually will melt or deteriorate as the car is left in the hot sun, and the weight of the wires will pull it right down. You'll be left with a mess.

Last edited by engin_ear; 11-13-06 at 07:54 AM.
Old 11-13-06, 11:13 AM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by engin_ear
A nice carpet covered trim panel in front of the amps will go a long way toward a clean look.

PS: You might want to eliminate the use of tape to hold wires up on top, use wire ties and the stick-on wire tie holders. The glue on tape usually will melt or deteriorate as the car is left in the hot sun, and the weight of the wires will pull it right down. You'll be left with a mess.
Yea the tape is temporary.. i didnt have anything else to hold the wiring up at the time i did most of the install. Im going to be cleaning up the wiring shortly and making it look a lot better.. originally i wanted to put the trim back in and mount the amps through that into the wood.. and i may still do that.. hiding just about all the wiring having it poking through small holes.. Thanks guys.. its still a work in progress.. but ill have it done sooner or later
Old 12-03-06, 10:26 PM
IIjzXXL
Rookie

keep us updated
Old 12-03-06, 11:08 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is just a thought...but i think that you should ground your amps individually and in a shorter distance. other than that it looks decent
Old 12-04-06, 12:54 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

while you have everything torn out - this would be a really really good opportunity to apply sound dampening material and to add in some better lighting in the trunk.

Jeff Tsai did a good write up on doing it here: http://projectgs.com/diy/Lighting/Tr...hode/index.htm

btw- in the first picture, is it ok to drill into the sheet metal where the date stamp is located?
Old 12-04-06, 01:16 AM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.
Senior Moderator

Unfortunately, i dont have an update at this time... its been an extremely hard few weeks. My father had a massive heart attack, and had a quadruple bypass at the young age of 49. This all happened about two weeks ago.. I just recently got back from South Carolina (where they live).. and am adjusting back to life. Since my parents just moved not long ago, they werent settled in their new jobs, and as a result, did not have health insurance. A lot of my current and future income will be going to help them pay off an astronomical hospital bill. They will likely be selling their brand new house that they worked all their lives to buy and retire in... So who knows whats gunna happen.. Im not worried about my car right now. Its still completely torn apart, but i gotta drive it anyway. It'll get done eventually..

cliffud, i would probably say no, i wouldnt drill into that area of the trunk, unless you knew exactly what was under it, and only if you used extremely shallow screws. The area where i drilled, along the top of my wood backing, was just a piece of exposed sheetmetal, with nothing behind it but the seat.

I have a tiny roll of scrap dynomat a friend gave me, and ill probably be working on the car on and off for a while.. Im heading back to South Carolina for christmas in a few weeks, so my money, and then some, is spent.

I appreciate the nice comments on the car.. its a work in progress. Ill keep you all updated. Thanks everyone.
Old 12-04-06, 11:11 AM
IIjzXXL
Rookie

sorry to hear that. keep your head high.
Old 12-04-06, 11:18 PM
VinnyQH
Lead Lap

yay for diamond audio!!! sorry for your dad, hope he is doing well!!
Old 12-17-06, 06:08 PM
Djdelite
Pole Position

hope ur pop is doing okay...system looks cool thus far...