Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

what is the BEST 15' subwoofer??

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-01, 09:18 AM
blitz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is the BEST 15' subwoofer??

hello,

what is the best 15' subwoofer you hear? or had?

i am into more like sq than spl. i just got pc2400 which is 400 x 1 at 4 ohm when it's bridged, so i think pure 400 watts are enough even ls400 has a gas tank between the back seats and trunk.

i know 15' JL is good enough but i would like to try other 15' sub.

any1 tried earthquake magma???

i am looking forward to get just one 15' sub between vega stroker(pricey), JL 15w6, GS audio, Lightning audio VC2, kicker L7(pricey) and a few more choices....

i think $200-$300 will be good price for one 15' sub.

it will be great if we can share 15' sub stories....

Old 10-24-01, 01:15 PM
mrand01
Rookie

Cerwin Vega Stroker 15" is nice, around $900 though...

also, Audiobahn makes nice ****, expensive also

get a JL if you want decent performance and good price
Old 10-24-01, 01:39 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you want a 15" sub I assume that you are into SPL. The best so far is the Digital Designes 9515. One guy has the official score of 170 db with only one sub (world record with one sub).

Strokers are also gonna give you some hearing loss, but they are older subs and DD's hit harder. Read the comments on the site:

http://www.ddaudio.com/
Old 10-24-01, 01:48 PM
blitz
Pole Position

hello,

thnx for all info.

i am into more sq.....well. i think 400 watts is enough. i wanted 15' b/c i want to go low as 25 hz.

maybe i should look for 18' JL....

Old 10-24-01, 02:33 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up JL Subs

Blitz - Actually, the 15W3 will play down to 18 Hz while the 18W3 drops to 15 Hz. The W3's a great SPL woofer & it will hurt ya - like the Stroker, NOT for SQ, IMO. We've figured out that Velodyne would be ultimate SQ driver but those R hard to come by & expensive. For great SQ U need a servo-controlled feedback system like the Velo ( I think they have the only one out there now ). Mark Eldridge has a servo-system on his L7's in his 4 Runner but it's a custom build number designed by Stillwater for the L7 subs. Still partial to JL for SQ but might consider the W1 series & leave the W3's for SPL. Also think highly of the Diamond Audio subs - NOT the Mac Daddy series as those R designed primarily for SPL. Imagine Dynamics would be worth a listen as well. Disappointingly, my favorite speaker ( Focal ) doesn't rate too highly as an SQ sub - kicks a** for SPL & cosmetics but U need a second mortgage to afford them!! :eek:
BTW - Should be able to push a new JL W7 tomorrow if the shipment comes in as expected to my buddy's shop. I'll post up my opinion if it does.
Old 10-24-01, 02:56 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Most people will be disappointed with W7. At least that what people are saying after the IASCA finals where those things were on a demo board. We'll see.

Stroker has pretty nice sound quality actually. My friend has it in his 2001 M5 (rich bastard had it shipped from Germany!) and it was installed by a most respected shop in San Diego. Powered by Zapco amp it sounds amazing sealed! Its a 15 and its fast too.

Since you are not into SPL, DDs will not work for you (although the quality is good).

L7 has good SQ and SPL, but it should be powered and installed correctly.

I'd go with IDMAX in your situation. It can go very low and its a 12. Worth all the hype.
Old 10-24-01, 07:15 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Pessimistic Myself

Retro - Yeah, I figure it's gonna be hard for the W7 to live up to all the hype. Just my .02 - I've found it unreliable to judge speakers ( especially subs ) mounted in a demo wall. Case in point - when I finally heard a pair of Dyns, I wasn't impressed that much, especially after how hard Percy touts them. However, one of the salesmen had a set in his front doors ( 318 Bimmer ) with some decent power on them & they REALLY came to life in the auto cabin. I'm gonna build a few different sized sealed boxes & throw the JL in the GS trunk with the Power 1100a2 on it. That'll ought to impress me or hurt it!! Somethings gotta give!
Old 10-24-01, 09:05 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

I just do not see any sub beating IDMAX technologically. Ive heard many many subs and some do beat IDMAX in some specific fields. However I need an all around sub to have SQ, SPL and power efficiency.

Although the new JL uses the same technology as IDMAX (large cone narrow surround) I doubt that it would perform better. The price is also too high. We'll see though. Its all talk, you never know.
Old 10-25-01, 03:54 AM
spykedawg
Rookie

i agree with the stroker in the right application capable of some really good sq. i heard a 12 model in a aperiodic enclosure, if my memory serves me correctly it had .85 ft3 behind it, not sure about the angle...with two layers of membrane (sorry, dont know the density). rear firing in a civic hatch...man, good stuff. gotta warn you though, trying to duplicate such a task'll take a lot of elbow grease (but isnt that the fun part about car audio?).

but anyway, back to the topic. a darn good 15 that'll hit incredibly low and woke break the bank, try a tempest. 4-4.5 ft3 tuned around 22 or so...and you'll come up with some wickedly low bass. i second the idq idea (specially with only 400 watts). let us know your limitations (space, wiring configuration..etc) and we'll try to help out more.
Old 10-25-01, 05:29 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Tempests will chew you up and spit you out playing that low. MAJOR headache!

Nice subs, and great company. If you actually get anything from Adire Audio, ask Dan to design a box for you. He is considered one of the BEST loudspeaker designers in the industry and every time I read anything by him, I learn something new. Thumbs up for Adire!
Old 10-25-01, 09:49 AM
blitz
Pole Position

thank you all for your times.

i decided to get between 15w3, 15w6, 18w3, 18w6.

i will keep up with JL audio. i wanted focal but i really don't want to get a bandpass..... focals are just sweet are pu$$y.

right now, i have 4 ohm 12w3 with a right sized sealed box. and i am pushing it with xtant 202M. which is 200 watts x 1 at 4 ohm.
i am sure xtant 202m gives a full power. i mean pure 200 watts maybe little bit more....

when i had this amp and sub on my last prelude. it was good enough, i mean you can feel and hear exact bass. i know it's a totally diff. car compare to "LEXUS".

now i have that on my ls400 and i don't hear any bass...

so i figured out that i need little stronger bass.

the wires are 4 g. and i already bought ppi pc2400. just b/c i want to give a try to ppi than xtant. and i think ppi pc series are good enough and cheaper than xtant. (i personally loved xtant amps, before it went over to MTX, i loved the brushed ones.)

JL 15' or 18' has a same RMS which is 500 rms. but i know 18 will go lower.

JL said it will go down to 20 hz.

i am really into sq than spl, but i guess i have to stick with spl this time.

one of my frined just got diamond m5 (front) and one diamond sub (not hex) in 93 integra....i liked it...diamond is getting pretty popular....

ps> MEAN GENE> i love focal too. that's why i got 165W utopia with giving up my lunch everyday........so hungry.........food~~ plz~~~~

thnx all guys.
Old 10-25-01, 02:18 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

I have decided on cutting the rear deck in my LS and making a box around the hole so the sub would be inside the cabin. That will work like magic!
Old 10-25-01, 06:31 PM
spykedawg
Rookie

just for clarification, is that 4 ohm dvc or 2 ohm dvc wired in a series?
Old 10-25-01, 06:45 PM
TX GS
Driver

ID MAX 12 is 300 plus s/h...It will wax any of the afornetioned JL's.

I'd buy ID MAX before I'd buy a JL, stroker or audiobahn for sure.

DD 9515 will knock your socks off.

If you want a JL 18 then you want SPL but don't know it.

Hold off on JL and check out these brands...try and catch a listen to convince you.
Old 10-26-01, 12:43 PM
itzloud
Driver School Candidate

If your buddy is bustin up boxes like that...then he needs to learn how to build a box.

Quick Reply: what is the BEST 15' subwoofer??