Sponsored by:

So, anybody yet?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-06, 02:59 PM
olddog
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default So, anybody yet?

so with all the installation of aftermarket decks, we have heard from some people that they used the stock amp to power the stock speakers and "SUB" with an aftermarket headunit. am sure a lot of us want to know how it was done(if ever it has been done).
i am not looking for ideas or anything else search function cannot find if it is not on using the stock amp to power the stock speakers and stock sub with an a/market deck.
so lets hear it people.
Old 11-22-06, 04:47 PM
chinkster
Lead Lap

i really want to know also. someone is bound to tell us to search but you tell me what keywords to type in that will pull up the right one!!! god knows i've tried!
Old 11-22-06, 06:23 PM
sbgs400
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i've seen people use the stock nak amp, i've never seen anybody report using the stock pioneer amp. there are a lot of threads that say this is impossible.
Old 11-23-06, 03:12 AM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

According to my wiring diagram on my 98 GS4 with nav... there is only two channels of audio that go into the stock amp.. using an aftermarket deck, you would only be able to use the two front or two rear channels, and would lose the fade function.. The added higher wattage from the aftermarket deck into the stock amp would probably not be too good for it either.. I just dont think its that great of an idea..
Old 11-23-06, 05:57 AM
olddog
Pole Position

Default hey

Originally Posted by chinkster
i really want to know also. someone is bound to tell us to search but you tell me what keywords to type in that will pull up the right one!!! god knows i've tried!
trust me , i would not have asked if the search revealed the answer.
this is a topic which most want to know.
i have an eclipse headunit with stock speakers without the stock amp but am still curious on this topic.
its funny nobody has cracked it yet.
if anybody knows, lets hear it.
Old 11-23-06, 11:16 AM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by olddog
trust me , i would not have asked if the search revealed the answer.
this is a topic which most want to know.
i have an eclipse headunit with stock speakers without the stock amp but am still curious on this topic.
its funny nobody has cracked it yet.
if anybody knows, lets hear it.
There really isnt much to crack, ive gone over the wiring diagrams... did you read my post above? It can be done.. but whats the point..
Old 11-23-06, 12:57 PM
VinnyQH
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can..... it's a pain in the ***, i'll go into quick detail,

find the wires that are giving signal to your factory sub amp, you will then want to attach male RCA ends to those, soldering is probably the best idea. then connect those ends to the sub out on the head unit. if they make a harness for your car then it won't be too hard, jsut have to either find someone competent (sp?) or try for yourself. What i would also suggest is that you also attach RCA ends for the front and rear speakers too.

What most shops will tell you is that you will have to re wire the amp, take it to a specialty shop if you do and tell them that is what you want. If they say they can't do it, go to a different shop.
Old 11-23-06, 01:20 PM
olddog
Pole Position

am not doing it.
just needed more knowledge on subject
Old 11-25-06, 04:48 PM
AZ-GS300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RTGS400
According to my wiring diagram on my 98 GS4 with nav... there is only two channels of audio that go into the stock amp.. using an aftermarket deck, you would only be able to use the two front or two rear channels, and would lose the fade function.. The added higher wattage from the aftermarket deck into the stock amp would probably not be too good for it either.. I just dont think its that great of an idea..
The Pioneer is 2 channels in and the Nakamichi is 4 channels in. Both are 5 channels out.

In any case, you really don't want to use the stock amp with an aftermarket head unit. It's pretty bass ackwards to me.

If your budget doesn't allow for a new 5 channel amp, you can always get a small amp for the sub and run the corners off the head unit. Then, as money permits, upgrade the rest of the system.
Old 11-26-06, 05:16 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i bypassed my amp and it sound louder and cleaner than with the stock amp, so i don't see the reason why anyone would want to keep the stock amp. if you are up grading than the first thing that should go is the stock sub.
Old 11-26-06, 08:00 PM
olddog
Pole Position

am gonna have to get an amp for my speakers.
i currently run the stock speakers off the eclipse unit and i have to trun it to about 70 to get a little loudness(80 is max).
when i had stock, halfway through the **** and it was banging.
Old 11-27-06, 01:18 AM
chinkster
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by olddog
am gonna have to get an amp for my speakers.
i currently run the stock speakers off the eclipse unit and i have to trun it to about 70 to get a little loudness(80 is max).
when i had stock, halfway through the **** and it was banging.
yep, it looks like we have the same setup. running stock 4 inch speakers from the aftermarket deck. sounds boo boo if you ask me without the sub. same thing, when stock was in it sounded way better... thats why we all i wanna know!! im here for the same reason also, just for the knowledge.
Old 11-27-06, 01:25 PM
AZ-GS300
Lead Lap

Yes. Adding a sub (or subs) provides a much better sound. The stock corner speakers are only ~4" speakers. They don't provide much bass or low end sound at all. When I finally added my subs to the system, it sounded so much better it isn't funny.
Old 11-28-06, 12:13 PM
jtgs400
Lead Lap

IIRC the stock 4-inchers are rated at 20w each so I'd be careful about putting too much power to them with an aftermarket amp. I did run about 45w to the rear for about week and had no problem but I wouldn't exprect them to take it very long. They get pretty loud though with that much power.
Old 11-28-06, 08:27 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 99 gs pionner

the stock door speakers sound great in my car. i had 6 1/2 boston rallys in previous car and they sound just as good. my stereo has EQ, so if that is making such diffrence than it would be a lower cost investment than 4 new speakers, amp and install.