Sponsored by:

Need help with amplifier

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-01, 10:12 PM
gsnav
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with amplifier

I'm prolly gonna get the image dynamics idq 10, should i get 2 ohm or 4 ohm version. Also, what help would be the best ? Doesn't have to be the best of the best, but enough to produce good results without having to a lot of money? Thanks. Is it better to buy a 5 channel or just buy a amp for just the sub? Thanks
Old 10-29-01, 10:27 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power Handling

GS - IMO, a dedicated sub amp's better than using a 5 channel amp to run the entire system, espcially those which utilize the same power supply to power both the sub channel & the other 4. Generally, the multi-channel amps also don't have enough power to really push the subwoofer. Aren't all that familiar with ID so I can't give a specific recommendation as the impedance ( depends on the amp U choose as well ). Just match the sub's rms power handling to the amp's rms deliverability - the amp's peak output will give ya some extra dynamic headroom for heavy bass notes. I know we've got some ID fans on board here ( Retro & some others ) & I'd heed their advice as to specifics. For durable amps which will hold up under long term usage, I'm still a Fosgate man ( even though they aren't the cleanest or most efficient ). Even Kicker's ZR series amps are solid & hard to hurt. If U want to spend a little more for some cleaner power, Precision Power's good, IMO. I'm sure some of the other Member's will throw their recommendations in here also ( as well they should! ). Choose well & enjoy!!
Old 10-29-01, 07:35 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

OOPS, missed this one.

OK, as Mean Gene said, the separate amp is better most of the time. Rockfords are ok amps, but that are not what they used to be. PPI is definetely a good choice for the sub. It puts out some very clean watts. I had some good expirence with DEI Class D amps. Very efficient and not too excpensive. In your current situation I would go with a Zapco amp. IDQ and Zapco is a killer combination as far as SQ goes and it has won A LOT of competitions. Also Zapco holds depreciation value like no other amp so if you would want to upgrade your system later, you would get good price for your amp.
Old 10-29-01, 08:40 PM
gsnav
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got any cheap decent priced zapco amps that you suggest? Also is buying amps used bad? Thanks. Actually i might know someone who can get good prices on PPI Amps, so if you know of a good PPI Amp for subs, please let me know the model. Thanks.

Last edited by gsnav; 10-29-01 at 08:42 PM.
Old 10-30-01, 05:15 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down Used Amps

GS - I'd advise against purchasing a used amplifier. Just seems to be something about taking an active piece of electronics from one vehicle to another, especially from an import to a domestic or vice versa. They never seem to work right ( at least for me ) - maybe it has something to do with the different cycles/second frequencies of various charging systems. Speakers tend to be another matter as those R passive - just need to be careful when buying a used speaker that they weren't abused in their previous application. I'm not in total agreement with Retro's opinion of the new RF's ( but that's why this Forum is so good - we can agree to disagree!! ). I've found the new bd amps to be excellent for serious power, but ( as Retro said ) not that clean or efficient. CA&E is using a bd1500.1 to power the subs in their ongoing 12" subwoofer testing ( spread out over 3 issues & based on price ranges ). Personally, I like Zapco for their processors but don't think much of their sub amps - they're good for components, for sure. Retro's correct about depreciation although I can't vouch for Zapco's holding theirs - I just know that RF's DON'T!!