Sponsored by:

SC300 CD intall question

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-06, 07:14 PM
silkiechic
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default SC300 CD intall question

So... I tried searching for a good thread about how to change out the stock radio and put in a CD player. I know that it is a 2.5 din space and some modifications are in store to get a single din player to fit in but I was wondering if anyone could explain how to do this?

1) How do you get the old Radio out? I have the 3 book set of repair manuals and the wiring diagrams of the car and for the life of me can't find where it tells me how to take out the radio.

2) Once it is out... What should I expect to find? Like I was looking at the connector diagram in the book but they all look like numbered boxes to me... Should I be able to just plug and play the new cd player in to it? Like are thoes standard plugs?

3) Then if it is just plug and play and all goes well, should everything work including the stock sub? Or will I have to get a new little amp in the back for them to all work. That will be another adevnture I guess...

As you can tell... I don't know what I'm doing so any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!!!

Edit: I have a 1993 SC
Old 12-24-06, 11:24 AM
96gti2.0t
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pull the cup holder out theres some screws there, pull off the trim around the shifter (i have 5spd) not sure how the trim is on the a/t but the 5spd you just pull it up then there are some screws there, you have to dissconnect some connectors along the way just make sure you get the screws out. once you get the surround out you have to take out the climate control and the headunit as a assembly, i think there are 3 or 4 10mm bolts holding it in then youll again youll have to disconnect some connectors, once you get that out youll see the bolts holding the radio in i just used the factory radio screws and bolt my headunit back up the stock frame but make sure the screws you use are not to long cause you could possibly damage your headunit theres usualy markings on the side of the radio. as far as wiring the radio in DO NOT cut the factory harness go and buy the connector from a audio shop or best buy but DO NOT cut the harness all that you would be doing by cutting the harness is complicating things for yourself and anyone who might get the car after you. you can buy the adapter and wire your radio in your living room then when you are ready to put it in just plug it in. hope i could help you out again dont cut the harness when you could just buy a 10$ adapter i personnaly hate cut harness
Old 12-24-06, 11:14 PM
silkiechic
Lead Lap

Thanks, I may try taking apart the interior but we'll see how daring I feel.
Old 12-25-06, 09:33 AM
96gti2.0t
Lead Lap

its not really too bad give it a try
Old 12-29-06, 11:58 AM
SC400Chinx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always thought there wasnt an adapter for the sc300/400 though. Atleast anywhere I searched there wasnt a wiring harness. Same boat as the maker of this thread, I can do everything from remove the radio, door panels etc. But how do you go about not complicating the wiring situation?
Old 12-29-06, 01:43 PM
silkiechic
Lead Lap

Yeah, I've been lazy and it's literally freezing out side so I haven't done anything with the car. (the grage is a burt moldy pos due to a lousy freeloading hobo of an uncle with mental issues living here)

But, yeah, where do I get such a harness?
Old 12-29-06, 08:58 PM
wdoyle9752
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I couldn't find an adapter (95 Toyota adapter fits but plugs in to the wrong plugs). I ended up using the those splicers crimp downs (leaves original hardness in working condition) on the factory harness for power, accessory, and ground.

Then I ran new wire from the head unit to the trunk bypassing the factory amplifier.
Old 12-30-06, 08:36 PM
96gti2.0t
Lead Lap

yeah you have to use the toyota harness and you lose the amp but i think if you have nach system youll can get a amp hareness too but im not sure cause i have the pioneer if you do have the pioneer and wanna sell your stock radio let me know
Old 12-30-06, 11:38 PM
silkiechic
Lead Lap

Well, since school starts back up on the 3rd. I won't have any time to do anything except school work... But... If I did have the time, I would trade you the stock radio for being able to get a CD player working in the car. I have the pioneer system with no changer. The next block of time I have will be spring break which is a while from now.