Sponsored by:

Subs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-06, 09:46 PM
Justakid
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subs?

Anyone know some good subs for around 400$? I was thinking some Eclipse 12'' sw7200's. are these any good?

Also I heard good stuff about Treo's, does anyone know where to get some?

I usually dont listen to rap, so i want something thats just normal bass, but when i do listen to rap i can turn it up pretty loud without distortion.
Old 12-31-06, 11:26 PM
vin 78
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Image Dynamics idmax - probably the best sounding sub that I've ever herd.
JL's newer W6 is also a great performer, you should check them both out.
They both can get loud, and sound good while doing it.

I haven't herd the Eclipse's newer subs yet so I can't comment on them. The Eclipse's were really good subs back then, but I'm pretty sure they are still pretty potent.
Old 12-31-06, 11:43 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

newer eclipse stuff isn't the quality it used to be. If you can find some old school Eclipse Titaniums or Aluminums in good condition those would be nice. Otherwise JL is a favorite of mine, personally.
Old 01-01-07, 04:23 PM
TeflonGS
Driver

I have a Alumapro Alchemy RX 12" in a sealed box built into the trunk floor and it is awsome. I would give it the thumbs up if you love SQ.
Old 01-01-07, 05:06 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Man you guys are good. I agree with all of the above. Even though I have an IDMAX 12, the Eclipses may be the best bang/buck. Might even find the older designs on ebay...
Old 01-01-07, 08:37 PM
Lucky SC
Lexus Test Driver

are Alpine Type X's Good

1000 Watts RMS and 3000 Max on the 10" and 12"
i was thinkin about buying one 10 and putting it in the stock place for the SC400

i had two crappy 12's in the trunk, getting rid of those

price tag at 500$ for the 10" and 540$ for the 12"
any ideas? thanks
Old 01-01-07, 09:33 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

better bang and sound quality out of other subs, other than Alpine.

they make good electronics....never really been a fan of their speakers.
Old 01-02-07, 09:40 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Justakid you still looking for a system, man just do it already. we had this conversation before. this is what you are going to do. walk in to your favorite car audio place and your going to tell the person to installed or sell you a 12" w6 in a custom ported box to fit in that space we talked about. you will also tell him you want a jl amp. no more than 500 watts, but no less than 250. it's up to you how much you want to spend on the amp. this power range is good for this sub. i promise you will be happy with results. sorry i was so straight foward with you, but i think you need it to make up your mind.
this is you after w6 in ported box. why did i wait so long to do this
Old 01-02-07, 09:58 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 88supramki
newer eclipse stuff isn't the quality it used to be. If you can find some old school Eclipse Titaniums or Aluminums in good condition those would be nice. Otherwise JL is a favorite of mine, personally.
you liked the old eclipse subs? i think they looked great, all aluminum and the magnet was the size of a rim. performance
i took mine back the next day. got me the very first gen of w3s. two cost the same as that one eclipse sub. the best thing i ever did. i still have the same w3s from six, seven years ago. i am waiting for them to blow so i can get a 10w7 or 12w6. haven't made up my mind yet. oh yea that eclipse sub had a identical twin made by audioban glad i got w3s for that all show no play sub that was heavy as hell
Old 01-02-07, 10:08 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I've been perfectly happy with my 13w1... plenty of low bass, loud enough to embarrass some ricers, and it sounds beautiful with about 175 watts on it... it's not going to win any competitions, but was cheap, and cheap to power... I impress people with a lot more everyday...

It is all about box design though, really... I spent more time coming up with port sizes and box volumes than I did building the box, because I wanted it perfect... And it will play lower than you can hear, and not be muddy even on the tightest of bass tracks... that, coupled with it's low power needs make it a great bargain with more than enough for most people out there...

(and I used to compete, so I know what loud really is)
Old 01-02-07, 10:35 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS FONZy
you liked the old eclipse subs? i think they looked great, all aluminum and the magnet was the size of a rim. performance
i took mine back the next day. got me the very first gen of w3s. two cost the same as that one eclipse sub. the best thing i ever did. i still have the same w3s from six, seven years ago. i am waiting for them to blow so i can get a 10w7 or 12w6. haven't made up my mind yet. oh yea that eclipse sub had a identical twin made by audioban glad i got w3s for that all show no play sub that was heavy as hell
I thought the Aluminum ones were decent, the Ti's were a lot better but they needed gnarly power.

Go 10W7, you won't regret it, w/ a 500/1 tune your Q to about 2.5 or so and you'll good to go You'll be impressed what kind of a spectrum it will cover
Old 01-02-07, 11:22 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

i want to go with the 10 w7, but don't know if my old punch 500a2 will have enough power. so far it's a 50/50, some say yea, some say no. i realy don't want to drop any more money on system, the avic z1 was enough. my 2 12" w3 are good, but need a little more for me to be happy. only if i could make a ported box fit and still have enough room left in trunk
Old 01-03-07, 06:48 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by GS FONZy
i want to go with the 10 w7, but don't know if my old punch 500a2 will have enough power. so far it's a 50/50, some say yea, some say no. i realy don't want to drop any more money on system, the avic z1 was enough. my 2 12" w3 are good, but need a little more for me to be happy. only if i could make a ported box fit and still have enough room left in trunk
I gave up the space for a good ported box, and it sounds so much better than a comparable sealed box...
Old 01-03-07, 12:13 PM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Precision Power Power Class (old school silver) 1800 monblock amp. It runs 400 X 1 @ 4ohms and 800 X 1 @ 2 ohms. I was running this amp to two 12 inch solo baric sd12's in a sealed box w/ no problem (gain was set to around 15% or less).

My question: I'm over the loud bass faze. I wan to run this amp to a JL W7 10 inch in a sealed box. I will be running 4 guage wire w/ a newer model Alpine headunit w/ the PPI PAR 234 EQ (w/ line driver~ 7-8 volts rms).

Will my amp blow the JL, even w/ the gain all the way down?

Should I run it at 4ohms or keep it at 2ohms? I heard that most bass amps run best at 2 ohms.
Old 01-03-07, 01:51 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by PushinLEX
I have a Precision Power Power Class (old school silver) 1800 monblock amp. It runs 400 X 1 @ 4ohms and 800 X 1 @ 2 ohms. I was running this amp to two 12 inch solo baric sd12's in a sealed box w/ no problem (gain was set to around 15% or less).

My question: I'm over the loud bass faze. I wan to run this amp to a JL W7 10 inch in a sealed box. I will be running 4 guage wire w/ a newer model Alpine headunit w/ the PPI PAR 234 EQ (w/ line driver~ 7-8 volts rms).

Will my amp blow the JL, even w/ the gain all the way down?

Should I run it at 4ohms or keep it at 2ohms? I heard that most bass amps run best at 2 ohms.
most amps gain can be turned down so much that they are essentially off, and if not, your head unit should have some adjustment for the output to the sub amp, or maybe the EQ might as well... (it doesn't hurt to turn the gains on the stuff down, just not up past its limits)

other note, the sub sets the impedance, not the amp

Last edited by mitsuguy; 01-03-07 at 02:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Subs?