Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Any future improvements with Sirius?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-07 | 08:27 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Default Any future improvements with Sirius?

I was looking so forward to my Sirius install (really missed Howard ), and was happy to get it over the X-mas. It works great, most of the time. But anywhere close to a heavy tree area or under the concrete bridge, signal cuts off. Its especially annoying when you go along the small road with lots of trees on the side (and this is winter time when all the leafes are down), and signal gets choppy from cutoffs. I had to move my antenna all the way outside on a metal surface, but there is no way to get around the trees, I guess? I keep hearing from my friends with XM that due to the repeaters they get reception from both satellite and terrestrial antennas so signal always stays strong. Why can't Sirius do something like that? I know they went in over a year from 500k to something like 7 mil of subscribers. That put more money into development for improvement of their signal quality, one would think?

Anybody have any updates, maybe? Do you guys think the upcoming Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas next week will bring some new announcements?
Old 01-09-07 | 10:10 AM
sxylxy
Lead Lap

They're both still loosing money (about 100mil a yr) but XM is loosing support (i.e. NASCAR) XM will eventually be bought by SIRIUS IMO. The antenna must be on an exposed surface, try either the center of the trunk or another great place is right above the rear view mirror on the roof. Then tuck the antenna into the weather stripping all the way down to the doorjam and then sneak it in your car under the rubber there.
Secondly there must always be a clear view of the sky, wait till the leaves come out... you'll be taking the highway all the time just to avoid the skipping signal. But hey, its what we gotta live with till the technology gets better.
I'm not sure what you're talking about with the repeaters, those are only for like home use. XM and Sirius antenna's are interchangable so there is no difference in technology between the two. Try it, if you like the styling of one antenna better than the other just switch em, no difference. Hope this helped you a little!! enjoy
Old 01-09-07 | 10:11 AM
sxylxy
Lead Lap

One thing I forgot to add, Sirius is supposed to have sat. video by sometime in 08 FYI, SWEET huh? Direct TV is the only option now in your car but the dish is HUGE and def wouldn't look good on my sc
Old 01-09-07 | 07:53 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

To all the above comments:

Sirius is now demonstrating Backseat TV at CES. WIll generally be kid-friendly content.

Twister, if you haven't already, please check out my sticky on Sirius install methods (antenna) at the top of this forum.

Sirius terrestrial reception depends on where you are in the state. If you are in a more remote area, you may not have a terrestrial repeater close enough. Repeaters have been put in the places with the highest potential for subscriber base, usually the most densely populated areas. XM has reception problems as well, just not in the same places. (Why do you think they needed all those repeaters???)