gapxguy
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it's for the car phone.
Old 01-07-07, 05:36 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

is it removable or is it through the window?
Old 01-08-07, 06:21 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 254 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by RedPhoenix
is it removable or is it through the window?
Yep, it is a phone antenna. It could be for an aftermarket or a dealer installed Lexus phone system. The Lexus phone antennas have a "sqigglely" rubber coating that was supposed to reduce wind noise. The antenna mast likely unscrews from the base - most do. Has the phone been deinstalled? If it has not, do not cut any of the phone system wires -- doing so can cause the audio system to malfunction. Instead, unplug and remove the components. Check for a phone transceiver hidden in the trunk. If there is a phone control on the steering wheel, you might as well leave it in place so you do not have to find a "blank" to fill in the hole.

Yes, the antenna is removable. Just heat up the base with a hair drier to loosen the adhesive and and carefully pry it off the window. The antenna mast likely unscrews from the base - most do. Is there a corresponding disk on the inside of the rear window that is attached to a coax cable? Your SC was prewired at the factory for a phone.
Old 01-09-07, 07:55 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Phone antenna. Old school type.
Old 01-13-07, 12:53 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

this is a car im purcahsing, i didnt check the other side of the glass. but it is indeed a phone. is there anything cool i can do with it? like tie it into my cell phone or something? or just get rid of it?

Last edited by RedPhoenix; 01-13-07 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-14-07, 08:57 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 254 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by RedPhoenix
this is a car im purcahsing, i didnt check the other side of the glass. but it is indeed a phone. is there anything cool i can do with it? like tie it into my cell phone or something? or just get rid of it?
It is likely that the phone antenna on the SC you are purchasing is for an analog phone. Unless your cell phone supports analog (which is going away "soon") the antenna might not help your phone reception.

I connected the OEM phone antenna on my 2000 LS400 to my Nokia car kit and it improves reception a lot in rural areas. But our old (2003) Nokia 6340i phones support GSM, TDMA and analog so our phones may be switching to analog mode when plugged into the phone holder.

If your phone is GSM-only, like most newer phones are, you could probably replace the antenna with an external GSM compatible antenna. But if you want an external antenna for a newer phone, I recommend buying one that attaches to the inside of the windshield or rear window and which has no exterior component. The external phone antennas cause "wind whistle" noise at highway speeds. One of my favorite features of my current LS is that there are no external antennas at all - both radio and phone antennas are hidden - imprinted on the inside of the rear window.
Old 01-27-07, 08:17 AM
NisAznMonk
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kansas
IOne of my favorite features of my current LS is that there are no external antennas at all - both radio and phone antennas are hidden - imprinted on the inside of the rear window.
What antenna do you have? I've been looking for something like that on my 93 LS400. Not interested in the cell phone one, just the radio will do fine.