Sponsored by:

better sq in a double din or single din

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-07, 01:48 PM
FSUnoles
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default better sq in a double din or single din

im debating whether do do a w200 alpine unit or a single din. someone told me there is better sq in the single dins.

also does anyone regret getting a double din and spending the extra cash, i am worried about getting bored with it after a while.

im doing an all alpine set up
Old 01-09-07, 02:10 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the question is not single din or double din. The question is are you running amplifiers? if the answer is yes, then you need to look at the voltage of the RCA outputs. if not, then it doesn't really matter what you do.

edit: just saw that you're doing all alpine. their outputs suck ***** on their RCA outputs, just the way Alpine is.
Old 01-09-07, 02:28 PM
FSUnoles
Rookie

yea running amps. what about kenwood DDX6019
Old 01-09-07, 02:45 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 88supramki
the question is not single din or double din. The question is are you running amplifiers? if the answer is yes, then you need to look at the voltage of the RCA outputs. if not, then it doesn't really matter what you do.

edit: just saw that you're doing all alpine. their outputs suck ***** on their RCA outputs, just the way Alpine is.
correct... my number 1 criteria for a head unit is good pre-out voltage...

minimum 4 volts... hell, back in the mid to late 90's, all my high end Sony stuff was 4 volts... now, 5-8 volts worth of output is definitely doable... looks like Alpine and Pioneer are stuck around 2 volts... I have a cheapie Clarion EQ in my car with 7 volts worth of output...

second criteria is of course features (for the most part, people can't tell the difference between freq response and s/n ratio on any "good" head unit)
Old 01-09-07, 03:01 PM
vin 78
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys have to keep in mind that some amps can't handle a lot of pre amp voltage. Older McIntosh amps were only able to accept 4 volts input. Most modern amps safely accepts 8 volts however.

Other then that, yes I totally agree with the higher the voltage the better.
Old 01-09-07, 05:30 PM
VinnyQH
Lead Lap

the best SQ screen avail for a good price would be the kenwood XXV-05. it is a single din, has a copper chassis for better shielding, DUAL 24-bit BBE DACs. other then that most of the screens will sound the same.

you can also run the nakamichi screen, never heard them in a setup but i know they make good products.
Old 01-09-07, 07:06 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FSUnoles
im debating whether do do a w200 alpine unit or a single din. someone told me there is better sq in the single dins.

also does anyone regret getting a double din and spending the extra cash, i am worried about getting bored with it after a while.

im doing an all alpine set up
if you don't want gps and dvd, them go with single din. there is no comparing the two. if you are talking about a fold out than
go double.
Old 01-09-07, 07:59 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a hard time believing that SQ would be ANY different in single vs. double DIN. They usually use the same circuit stages and op-amp types/brand, since they are jelly bean parts these days and they buy them in quantity across all of the product line. Physical size of the unit should not matter. There could be other factors.

I will be visiting the Alpine booth at CES tomorrow and will ask some questions for you...

Jerry