Sponsored by:

for people with aftermarket head units... wiring harness? help me out

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-07, 09:45 PM
booja
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default for people with aftermarket head units... wiring harness? help me out

ive been looking into getting a pioneer deck for my car... and a new sub and amp.

every place i go to they said they dont have any dash kits or even wrie harnesses to make it work.

crutchfield doesnt even have one....

ive searched on here about it and some people saying to get wiring from lexus and splice it all up...

then i here people getting a harness for a 87+ toyota

i havent even looked at mine yet... but i have a aftermarket head unit in there now installed but god knows who

i just hope they didnt ghetto rig anything to make it work... im afraid they did
theres wires everywhere in my trunk i think there was a system in there. and i know my oem sub is not working...

so i guess im saying "HELP!" im gonna rip the old stuff out tomorrow. hope its not gonna be a headache for me
Old 01-09-07, 10:00 PM
Deceptik1
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by booja
ive been looking into getting a pioneer deck for my car... and a new sub and amp.

every place i go to they said they dont have any dash kits or even wrie harnesses to make it work.

crutchfield doesnt even have one....

ive searched on here about it and some people saying to get wiring from lexus and splice it all up...

then i here people getting a harness for a 87+ toyota

i havent even looked at mine yet... but i have a aftermarket head unit in there now installed but god knows who

i just hope they didnt ghetto rig anything to make it work... im afraid they did
theres wires everywhere in my trunk i think there was a system in there. and i know my oem sub is not working...

so i guess im saying "HELP!" im gonna rip the old stuff out tomorrow. hope its not gonna be a headache for me
Just use a 87+ wire harness. There will be two extra plugs that won't be used one white and one blue. The unused plugs are used for the stock amp, sub, and cd changer which I doubt you intend to reuse.
Old 01-09-07, 10:18 PM
booja
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Deceptik1
Just use a 87+ wire harness. There will be two extra plugs that won't be used one white and one blue. The unused plugs are used for the stock amp, sub, and cd changer which I doubt you intend to reuse.
i cant reuse even if i wanted... whoever had the car before took it all out and left a bunch of wires everywhere in the trunk

thanks for the input
Old 01-09-07, 10:45 PM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the typical radio harness the only thing needed? I figured there would be some type of device you'd have to buy extra.
Old 01-10-07, 10:18 AM
booja
Lead Lap

well i took the old aftermarket headunit out that was in there...

im not sure what they did but it looks like they didnt use the stock harness or an adapter at all

it seems like they ran each individual wire from the headunit directly to the speakers.. making their own wire to each speaker and didnt use the harness from the car at all.

is it ok to do this? is there a difference in sound quality or anything?

looks like they ran a R and L for the front and a R and L for the rear. the remote wire wasnt connected. the ground or power was not either but a yellow wire was connected to the stock volume **** on the side... is that whats powring it?

and also i saw that there was a probe for the antenna and next to it there was a probe just dangling there, seems slightly smaller than the ant one.

i guess ill just wire the new one up like how the old one was... will that work out or should i redo everyhting like connecting the speakers to the stock harness and getting the 87+ toyota harness
Old 01-10-07, 11:39 AM
Ishinc
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you might actually get better sound quality by using the wiring put in. I would just wire it up like how it was wired with your old HU. There are 2 antenna plugs. one big and one small. Using the bigger one will work. remember to tape off the smaller one.

If you want to clean it up a bit, you can use only the non stock speaker wires and wire everything else to the oem plugs with a harness(power, constant, gound, illum, etc).