Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

in-dash navi vs garmin?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-07, 01:01 AM
LazyAlex
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default in-dash navi vs garmin?

ok, here is my question. i have a 99' gs400 with the nakamichi system. so no navi..but i want a navi, but i heard if i was to get a indash my stock amp wont work anymore, so if i want the good sound i pretty much have to replace my system. but the in-dash looks nice..so heres my question.
in-dash pioneer double din..vs a garmin nuvi 350/660?
Old 01-19-07, 05:36 PM
pardo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pioneer AVIC-Z1 or D3
Flush look.
Old 01-19-07, 06:21 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

only pioneer worth it is the AVIC-Z1
Old 01-20-07, 01:26 AM
gapxguy
Lead Lap

I recently gotten my Z1 installed into my GS with Nak. system. Replacing the factory amp isn't that big of a deal. Matter of a fact a mediocre aftermarket amp would improve the sound.
Old 01-20-07, 08:41 AM
owali
Driver

Performance wise I don't know what the difference would be. But look wise, in dash all the way. It just looks clean and stock even.
Old 01-22-07, 05:03 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you can not compare this two items. one is a portable nav unit, the Z1 is a state of the art mobile media
Old 01-23-07, 02:44 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

If you're just looking for navigation and don't care for DVD or CD playback capability then I say go for the portable one. Less money and it's portable. But you might kick yourself later if you want those other features down the road.
Old 01-23-07, 10:16 AM
emoshun
Lexus Champion

mmmm Z1.... Back up camera... Bluetooth... XM NAV Traffic... Can't wait for the Z2 to be released!

Last edited by emoshun; 01-23-07 at 11:09 AM.
Old 02-18-07, 11:10 PM
MMM
Rookie

Default Portable AND In-Dash

If you want the in-dash look, system integration and big screen user interface of a fixed navigation system, but want the flexibility of a portable, check out Alpine's Blackbird navigation system. Alpine's Blackbird portable navigation system can interface to any Alpine navigation-capable head unit, creating an integrated, Audio Video + Navigation (AV+N) experience.

http://www.blackbirdnav.com

Also coming soon is the second generation Blackbird which docks inside Alpine's IVA-W205 head unit. Very slick. Will be released in the summer. Check it out here: http://www.cesweb.org/attendees/awar...p?category=136

MMM
Old 03-11-07, 10:59 PM
GSspeed
Lead Lap

im in the same dilema, i am currently use my pda as a gps unit with my bluetooth gps reciver, but i really want a built in gps, i have the NAK system as well, and was told that the whole system would be replaced to get decent sound, they said that the NAK system uses (correct me if im wrong) 8ohms, and normal systems use 4ohms, ( or the other way around). well, i have been looking around and found the Z1 to be very impressive, but just noticed that a new D3 just got released, looks great, and it has the Rotary dial for volume, exactly what i want but it only has 1 drive and no HDD. i hope the new Z2 will have the same features but a lot better, anyone know when the Z2 will be released.
Old 03-26-07, 04:45 PM
silvervett
Lead Lap

Whan I was looking for a house in Texas I brought my Garmin with me on the airplane and used it in my rental car. If ou switch car a lot or fly out of state a portable has many advantages, one of which is you can use it while moving. The down side is the Garmin has a small screen.
Old 06-30-07, 07:30 PM
amwendwa
Rookie

You can't compare the two; it is like comparing apples and lemons :-). I had a PDA GPS systems then I installed a mac mini with lcd screen, now I am back to stock. I have a GS3 2002 with no nav. I had an oem looking lcd screen in the dash with my mac tucked away in the glove box. You can search for the pictures. Here is why I went back to stock. If you are **** for detail (fit and finish) nothing beats lexus original fit and finish. Even with the non-nav look Lexus fit and finish is outstanding. I have not looked at the new in dash products. But in-dash sure looks better than the add on look (pda, garmin, etc.).

Cheers
Old 07-02-07, 08:01 AM
CyBorG
Pole Position

everyone here keeps saying to not compare them, but the truth is that the indash ones are WAY faster than the portable ones, especially if it comes with a hard drive. First hand experience and never going back
Old 07-02-07, 08:03 AM
CyBorG
Pole Position

everyone here keeps saying to not compare them, but the truth is that the indash ones are WAY faster than the portable ones (calculating directions, finding POIs), especially if it comes with a hard drive. First hand experience and never going back
Old 07-02-07, 04:56 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Take a look at the Alpine W205 headunit, and the Alpine Blackbird GPS.

You just stick the portable thing inside the HU (the screen folds down).. and voila.. you have indash navigation. You then also have portable navigation by taking the unit out, and using it in another car.

I think this is the route I'm going with. I think the combo can be had for $1000 if you look for deals.

Also, the new alpine W205 unit is really nice.. it has a touch screen that "pulses" back.

http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/prod...model=IVA-W205

Dock 'n' Roll
Imagine viewing your maps and navigation from a larger display. The PMD-B200 (Available Summer) can now be docked directly inside the IVA-W205 Double DIN AV head unit, turning your dash into a convenient and larger 6.5” touch screen control center. Just flip down the screen of the IVA-W205 and insert the PMD-B200 into the built-in dock. Once tucked inside, you’ve created a completely integrated Audio/Video/Navigation system, with all the flexibility of a portable!

Quick Reply: in-dash navi vs garmin?