Sponsored by:

Upgrading non navigation GS to Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-07, 03:02 PM
DonJuan45i
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading non navigation GS to Navigation

Hey guys I was just wondering has this been done?? I did a search and found alot of upgrades for those who already have navigation, but nothing on someone that put OEM navigation into his non navigaton GS.

I am kinda curious into dowing this, with that being said what all is needed? I know the complete display but is another unit needed? Like a seperate brain that goes in the trunk, ontop of that is a seperate antenna for GPS required, or is this all built into the center monitor?

Also I saw alot of guys asking to upgrade to aftermarket, would doing something like this be worth it?

I have Nakamchi sound right now, if I were to say put in the navigation display would I loose sound quality? Because it sounds like the navigation units use pioneer electronics.

I know on some cars you can drop the complete navigation display without the GPS module, into the car and it still functions and turns on etc, except they cant use the navigation function as they dont have it. Does this work with our cars?

with all this being said anyone wanting to get rid of theres to upgrade to aftermarket double DIN??? Contact me I would be willing to try oem before I go aftermarket.

thanks guys and sorry for the long post.
Old 02-03-07, 08:03 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

yes you do require a seperate brain for the navi.

Yes it does have an antenna. Antenna is located on the rear deck.

No I dont think that it will work without using the whole thing. due to lexus intergration policies if one thing is missing than it usually does not work correctly.

You would probably have to change everything but the speakers and sub. You would have to change the amp most likely as well as adapt new wiring. Also the navi is tapping into multiple places such as your vechile speed sensor, so you would have to get all of the wiring points and diagrams.

I wouldn't advise you to do that. Stock Lexus navi is not bad but its not great. You could go with a double din pioneer, eclipse or even do a custom carputer set-up with a large touchscreen moulded in.
Old 02-03-07, 08:27 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

There was a nice write up some where and from what DaveGS4 said its a few grand to get the complete system.. GL
Old 02-03-07, 08:58 PM
DonJuan45i
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats what I was afraid of. Thanks for the prompt replies guys.

yea, I would rather invest a few grand in a carputer or same some money and get an aftermarket double DIN.