Sponsored by:

Aftermarket stereo pics?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-01, 09:12 AM
abefromansausag
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket stereo pics?

Does anyone have pics of their dash with an aftermarket stereo installed? Thanks
Old 02-16-02, 09:41 AM
justinlarsen
Driver School Candidate

yes i woudl liek to see some too.. really wanting to do this install
Old 02-16-02, 02:27 PM
DaBling69
Driver School Candidate

I just installed a Panasonic 701U receiver in my SC400, it looks pretty tight, I'm going to install a Pioneer 7" in dash flip out screen in a couple of months to get rid of the din and a half opening left. I'll post pics of my head unit later today.
Old 02-16-02, 04:04 PM
Ali SC4
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I just put this in last weekend.
Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket stereo pics?-stereolex.jpg  
Old 02-16-02, 06:00 PM
justinlarsen
Driver School Candidate

WOW! looks good.. one question.. i knwo the trim ring comes off.. and stuff.. but i havent pulled mine off 100% becuase im scared to break it.. any tips on getting the old sereo out of the car?
Old 02-16-02, 08:00 PM
Ali SC4
Pole Position

To see instructions on how to remove the trim piece with pictures and a few other fixes go to the link below. Click on "Members" icon, no password needed and then click on "Fixes & Repairs."

http://www.jkwebdesign.co.uk/lexusclub/
Old 02-16-02, 09:29 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by justinlarsen
WOW! looks good.. one question.. i knwo the trim ring comes off.. and stuff.. but i havent pulled mine off 100% becuase im scared to break it.. any tips on getting the old sereo out of the car?
From memory: First pull the cup holder out by applying pressure to the sidewall and pull up (it snaps right out) exposing two screws, remove them. Then pinch the gear shift column at the base (the plastic piece) and pull down exposing two screws. Remove those screws. Slide the shifter up and off the rod. Wedge your fingers under the gearshift plate (black plate with P-R-N-D-2-1) and pull it out exposing three or four more screws. Remove them all too. Wedge your fingers behind the 'trim ring' and pull it out, it's held by snap locks. The trim ring has two wiring harnesses for the buttons located on it. Dettach those harnesses to free up the trim. Oh yes, the gearshifter plate has a wiring harness too for traction control and pwr ect buttons that you have to remove as well. The center console has the climate control unit and stereo deck attached with a metal bracket. You must remove the entire bracket unit together (with climate control and stereo in it) by by removing I believe two small screws and then two larger bolts a couple inches behind them. Once loose, you have to dettach all the wiring harnesses (I believe there's like four of them). Then the 'bracket unit' is freed up. You can remove the stereo deck by removing the screws on the side that hold them. Put in whatever deck you like in it's place. The oem stereo is 2.5 dins tall which makes it hard to find a pocket kit for it. I believe Scoche makes a 2.5 din kit now with a 1.5 din pocket, but I had to make my own. Or you could try and find a 2.5 din face plate like SCream 400 did. Anyway, you're all set from that point on. The only thing now is splicing all the wires from the oem harness to a harness that plugs into your new deck, and of course putting everything back together. It's hard to break anything in this whole process unless you're rough and careless. Most car owners are gentle with their cars so most people trying to figure this out will do just fine. I've taken that sucker apart over a dozen times and have yet to screw something up. That Levoc **** did screw up the o/d button harness on my car though
Old 02-16-02, 11:37 PM
justinlarsen
Driver School Candidate

cool thanks for the help.. i got the whole thing apart.. and put it back together and relized it a project for next week..i have access to a car install bay.. thats where i decied im going to do this.. im excited..i just need a lil help from someone on splicing wires.. i just want to do the factory amp if i could but someone said that 4v preouts may be too much for it to handle.. and i also need to figure out which wires go wehre for each input to the amp.. and making sure the sub works and everything.. my deck has 2 4v preouts.. so its im going to compromize fading.. and put on on just the sub and splice the other 2 in, or i might just have it how it is.. and have the back panel w/sub rear and the componets in the front.. not sure yet.. anymore help woudl be greatly appriciated.. thanks for quick responses
Old 02-17-02, 01:13 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

here's a pic of my deck. i'll get one straight on when I get my hands on a digital camera.
Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket stereo pics?-deck.jpg  
Old 02-17-02, 10:00 AM
justinlarsen
Driver School Candidate

wow looks nice.. one more question am i still going to be able to use the volume **** for the volume or can its only use now be to control bass?
Old 02-17-02, 10:08 AM
'S'Low Rider
Driver

Question 2.5 din faceplate

I'd be very interested in finding a 2.5din face plate!

SCream 400, did you make yours or is there a faceplate out there that we can buy?

Thanks,
Old 02-17-02, 11:21 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

You can make that volume **** control whatever you want it to: volume, bass, blow-off valve. It's all a matter of setting in an attenuator from the preouts to the external amps. SCream's face looks like it's 2-din exactly (i retract that statement from my previous post). There isn't a 2.5 din face out there as far as I know. You could always fill the extra 1.5/0.5 din slot with a 0.5 din equalizer.
Old 02-17-02, 11:56 AM
Ali SC4
Pole Position

The deck I put in is a 2 din. I was trying to fill in as much of the space as possible. I just got a plastic sheet from one of the installers at best buy which you can cut very easily and you can also shape it when its heated and made a cover for the .5 din of left over space. But if anyone knows where to get a .5din pocket, please let me know.
Old 02-18-02, 05:09 AM
justinlarsen
Driver School Candidate

so is there support for a standard din size slot at the top or do you need to make some?
Old 02-18-02, 07:57 AM
Ali SC4
Pole Position

You shouldnt need to make any type of support. The factory clamp that holds the factory deck has holes lighned up perfectly where they would be on an aftermarket deck also. Mine is a 2din and all 8 holes matched up perfectly. If you want to use the top you just use the top 4 holes.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket stereo pics?