Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Two Questions regarding Audio System Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-07 | 02:03 PM
donpasscal
Driver School Candidate

Default Two Questions regarding Audio System Upgrade

I am in the process of upgrading my audio system. I have been to many shops and the guys frankly told me thay have not worked on a car like mine before but they were will to give it a shot. Some shops just told me they did not have the know how to tackle my job.

(All i want to do is keep my factory head unit. (non ML) replace front/rear speakers. replace factory sub with a 10" and add a five channel app. - all the speakers and sub will be powered by the after market amp.)

I finally found a guy who i think can do the job after checking out some of the work he has done on other cars (non lexus).

If you are wondering i live in Hoschton, Ga about 60miles north of Atlanta.

What i am doing now is gathering info and printing them out.
- I have printed out directions on how to remove the front/rear door panels
and replace the speakers.
- how the remove the back seat and the rear amp.

These printouts will only used as reference points for the pro installer.

Now i need info on the following:

1. Can somebody tell me the best and safest method to replace tweeter in '01 I am looking for a step by step method on how to get to them and remove
them without destroying my cars trim.

2. What will be the best method to run the power wire from the battery to
the amp without destroying the firewall.

I found the link below and i was wondering if its applicable to an '01 LS430.

http://www.cureline.net/lex/audio/ho...ng_install.htm

Thanks
Old 02-10-07 | 08:06 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
CL Folding 100000

link doesnt work.
Old 02-11-07 | 12:04 AM
Nazar
Pole Position

If you are going through the trouble of getting all new speakers and amp why not het a new head unit too and get everything you paid for sound good.
Old 02-11-07 | 02:36 AM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

i agree with NAZAR. what sub are you intalling, well you said you searched so guess you already know it has to be air free. the unit you have only has two channel output from deck. if you want a true five channel from stock, your new amp will have to go after oem amp output.
Old 02-13-07 | 10:07 AM
donpasscal
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GS FONZy
i agree with NAZAR. what sub are you intalling, well you said you searched so guess you already know it has to be air free. the unit you have only has two channel output from deck. if you want a true five channel from stock, your new amp will have to go after oem amp output.
Yes i am using a free air sub from mtx. I got a peripheral 4 channel plug to help me out with the channel output.

How easy/difficult is it to replace the head unit with an after market piece on an '01 LS430?

Through my searches i have no seen one yet.

thanks
Old 02-14-07 | 06:45 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

it's not that hard. if you have installed a stereo before than this should be no problem.
Old 02-16-07 | 06:28 AM
donpasscal
Driver School Candidate

it's not that hard. if you have installed a stereo before than this should be no problem.
I have never done a stereo intall in a car and do not plan on experimenting with this car.

The install will be done professionally. I am just trying to gather some facts so that when i go to the shop i can ensure they are doing the right thing.

One more question:

What will be the best method to run the power wire from the battery to
the amp without destroying the firewall?

dp
Old 02-16-07 | 04:21 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

there is cables that run from the motor to the inside, i just pushed the rubber to the side and ran my power cable there. although, there is nothing wrong with drilling a nice clean looking hole to run power cable.
Old 02-19-07 | 08:35 PM
donpasscal
Driver School Candidate

there is cables that run from the motor to the inside, i just pushed the rubber to the side and ran my power cable there. although, there is nothing wrong with drilling a nice clean looking hole to run power cable.

Thanks, for you reassuring answer.
Old 02-20-07 | 12:19 AM
kratos
Pole Position

In my Sc400 there were no factory grommets to share my huge 1/0 ga wire with. I ended up drilling a hole through the firewall, using a large grommet of my own then sealing it up with a little silicone. Worked perfectly.

Any high-end stereo shop should be able to do your deck for you. We have yet to do one but I don't see it as being a problem. Just don't get Best Buy or Circuit City to do it for you.
Old 02-20-07 | 05:29 PM
donpasscal
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kratos
In my Sc400 there were no factory grommets to share my huge 1/0 ga wire with. I ended up drilling a hole through the firewall, using a large grommet of my own then sealing it up with a little silicone. Worked perfectly.

Any high-end stereo shop should be able to do your deck for you. We have yet to do one but I don't see it as being a problem. Just don't get Best Buy or Circuit City to do it for you.
Thanks.

The car has been handed over to the Andrew at Audio Designs Stockbridge, ga. I will post before/after pictures when the job is completed.

Thanks to everybody for their input.

dp