Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Bypass video switch

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-01 | 10:08 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Post Bypass video switch

i'm thinking about grounding the negative wire with the brake wire to my alpine iva-c800 to watch video and to access functions while i drive. is this wise? i've did it before with my eclipse 7301 with no problems...or do you guys recommend me just buying the electronic bypass on ebay? doesn't it do the same thing? anyone? mean gene? retrodrive?

is that the right way to do it? take the negative wire and splice with brake wire? please help. any recommendations??
Old 11-15-01 | 06:12 AM
reLEXin247
Rookie

the alpines use a sequence on the parking brake and the foot brake wires... takes 12v on the foot brake and ground on the parking brake, but there is a certain sequence to make it work. normally you would have to hit the foot brake, then set the parking brake, then release the parking brake, then set it again, then release the foot brake. that's the problem with bypassing the screen..... you can't just ground a wire and make it work.. (like pioneer, eclipe, clarion, kenwood) I would suggest getting an electronic bypass, I know PAC now makes one (model tr-7) but just beaware of how dangerous it is to watch video while driving.
Old 11-15-01 | 06:49 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Default Another Option

Do - Scott's 100% correct about the dangers of being distracted by the monitor playing a DVD while driving. I used my CVA-1005 for my 9 year old daughter's entertainment ( are we there yet!!:eek: ) until I did the headrest thing &, try as I might to ignore it, it was tough!! Now that I have the required safety disclaimer outta the way , here's what I did. The 1005 has a slightly different safety sequence that the one Scott described but 's close - apply the foot brake; set the parking brake & then release the foot brake. I just wired a momentary switch to simulate the foot brake & then a toggle switch to substitute for the parking brake. This is on a small homemade bracket in my glove box & I just push & hold the momentary switch button ( simulating the foot brake procedure ); toggle the other switch to the "On" position ( now the CVA thinks the parking brake's set ) then release the momentary button. VOILA!! Instant video whenever I want it!! But U didn't hear this from me!!
Old 11-15-01 | 09:15 AM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for the info! I know it's dangerous and illegal, but I'm only going to use this when i park. But thanks Gene. Hey Scott, where can i get this PAC switch? I saw one on ebay for $65.00. Is it worth it to pay that much or should I just get a toggle switch for $15.00 also. I don't even want to try to make these myself, I don't trust myself. If I were Gene, then maybe
Old 11-15-01 | 10:54 AM
amlin423
Pole Position

I got my bypass for $90 off ebay...It does the simulation automatically...Really happy with it cuz I just have to wire it
and not worry about the switches...
Old 11-15-01 | 12:00 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Talking McGyver!!

Those PAC pieces weren't around when I did my CVA/DVA install or I just overlooked them in the PAC catalog ( senior moment again!! ). Necessity is the Mother of all invention they say; besides, I always kinda like "McGyver"!!
I haven't gotten around to trying to seal off a nuclear reactor with a melted Hersey's bar but maybe I'll just jam a 'tater ( high pressure, of course! ) the next time we have a blowout on on of our drilling rigs & secure everything!!! :eek:
Old 11-15-01 | 05:06 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Wink

hey, i like mcgyver too! i thouht i was the only freak that loved the show. quote an amazing fellow. i wonder how much a person like him would get paid nowadays in real life to do what he did on television?? hehe
Old 11-16-01 | 08:35 PM
Ron@SE
Rookie

Actually, you only need ONE switch. Still hook up the yellow wire with the black stripe to your FOOT brake. The yellow wire with the blue stripe just hook to a switch that goes to ground. Turn the CVA/IVA on, press the foot brake, flip your switch on then off then back on and let go of your foot brake.....DONE! It's VERY simple and you don't need a second momentary switch to simulate your footbrake and there's no need for the bypass module.
Old 11-16-01 | 08:36 PM
Ron@SE
Rookie

By the way, the way I just descibed will cost you $2.99 (cost of silver toggle switch)
Old 11-16-01 | 10:28 PM
reLEXin247
Rookie

Ok guys this is the way i have it hooked up in my sc400... i'm using the standard foot brake wire hooked up to the brake pedal. but instead of using a toggle switch like Ron suggested, I used a relay hooked up to the door lock wire in the car. it's wired up as so... 85 = 12v constant 86 = door lock (green/yellow stripe wire located in pass kick panel on sc400) wire in car, 87a = ground, 30 = output to alpine parking brake wire, leave 87 open. the way it works is you put your foot on the brake then hit the lock button on the door, then release the foot brake. No added ugly switches to the car, nothing for anyone to see at all. Only 1 standard relay required. cost should be like $3-5.
Old 12-21-02 | 03:51 AM
jewelberry
Driver School Candidate

Default Bypass wiring for TV tuners?

Can some of you help me with bypasing my Clarion TV unit's parking brake restriction? I have a clarion Ce-net TV tuner that needs a one wire hook-up to a parking brake lead (I'm assumming it is for a negative intput). I tried using a simple toggle switch connected to a chassis ground but it doesn't work (I guess it isn't as easy as that). The Ce-net systems have audio wires embedded into their power cable so the sounds come out perfectly but I get no picture from my monitor. Anyone using similar Clarion units or anyone with expertise in this type of bypass - your help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-21-02 | 05:20 AM
LS007
Lead Lap

What Clarion TV tuner? Since you said it has CeNet it's probably TTX7501z, but this unit doesn't have parking brake wire. So would it then be a TTX7601? Clarion doesn't do the fancy parking break bypass stuff, like Alpine so it should simply work by shorting the parking brake wire to ground.
Old 12-22-02 | 02:19 AM
jewelberry
Driver School Candidate

Default TTX7501z

Yes, it is a TTX7501z and I did think that I can just ground the parking brake(hand brake) input wire to ground, but it doesn't seem to work- is it because I used a toggle switch connected to chassis ground, or should I have used one of the negative wires on my rear lights?
Old 12-22-02 | 02:51 PM
fierce gs
Pole Position

do-luck sc,
whyd u switch from the eclipse 7301 to the alpine?
which one do u like better?
just asking because im in the process of installin the 7301.

thanks